Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26368
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sat 13-Apr-13 03:35 PM
851 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"

Monroe, US

I use the Highlight view on the back of the screen a lot. the D7100 has a blinking RGB on the bottom left courner that is driving me crazy. Is there a way to get rid of it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100
Pugzilla Gold Member
13th Apr 2013
francine Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
Pugzilla Gold Member
14th Apr 2013
gpoole Platinum Member
14th Apr 2013
Pugzilla Gold Member
14th Apr 2013
aolander Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
francine Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
aolander Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
ajd1170 Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
francine Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
francine Silver Member
14th Apr 2013

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Sat 13-Apr-13 04:13 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Boca Raton, US

That blinking RGB (also noted on the RGB Histogram page) is, I believe, just there to remind you what you're looking for in that screen. As far as I know, you can either eliminate the highlight and the RGB Histogram screens on your Playback Menu, or just live with it. I don't think there is another option.

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sat 13-Apr-13 05:56 PM
851 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 1

Monroe, US

I think it blinks when one of the colors is blown out and its telling you to check further by pressing a button and turn wheel. On the D90 it was different

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Sun 14-Apr-13 02:32 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 2

Boca Raton, US

In reply to #2:

Just to make absolutely sure, I deliberately grossly underexposed an image to make sure there were no burnt out highlights in any channel, and the RGB blinking was still present in both the RGB and RGB Histogram image playback frames.

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sun 14-Apr-13 02:54 AM
3637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 5

Farmington Hills, US

I don't have a D7100, but I imagine the blinking is the same as on other Nikon DSLRs. The blinking RGB at the bottom indicates that the image portion is showing blinking highlights (if any) on the image displayed for the RGB combined data.

You can change the blinking RGB to a blinking R, G, or B using the "-" button and the multi-selector left or right. If one of the individual color letters is blinking the then the blinking highlights (if any) on the image will be just for the color channel selected.

Finally using the "-" button and the multi-selector change it so that the highlight displays are off. See the RGB Histogram section on page 188 of the English D7100 manual.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Sun 14-Apr-13 04:53 AM
#7. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 6

Boca Raton, US

Hi Gary,

Agreed, but I think the O.P. wants to eliminate the blinking RGB (either combined or separate R, G, or B) without turning off the 2 highlight displays. I don't think that this can be done. If I'm wrong, please let me know. Thanks.

Walter

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 13-Apr-13 07:12 PM
3200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Press the up/down arrows on the multi-selector button on the back to scroll through the Photo Info pages.

Alan

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sat 13-Apr-13 11:03 PM
#4. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 3

Monroe, US

Not sure what you mean

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 14-Apr-13 05:25 AM
3200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 4

Nevis, US

I think maybe I misinterpreted your original question. Disregard what I said.

Alan

ajd1170 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2004Sun 14-Apr-13 06:28 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

There are a number of ways to do this. I haven't pulled out my D700 to check, but on my D7100 you can:

1. Go to the Playback Menu -> Playback Display Options -> uncheck the RGB Histogram check box;

2. During Playback hold down the "-" button (ISO), scroll through the four highlight histograms using the multi-selector, and the blinking will stop;

3. Use the multi-selector to scroll down to the next info screen.

Be sure to press the OK button when it appears after making your changes in step 1.

I hope this helps.

A. J.

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sun 14-Apr-13 06:54 PM
#10. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun 14-Apr-13 06:58 PM by francine

Monroe, US

Did you mean to check the RGB Histogram becasue there is no other screen that has 4 histograms. I did that and got to the point of no blinking and hit OK and went to see if it worked and it still blinks. I must be doing something wrong. I guess I will have to live with the green RGB blinking.

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Sun 14-Apr-13 07:18 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Expanding on what A.J. said,

On the HIGHLIGHTS screen, scrolling - using the ISO button plus the right or left arrows on the multi-selector - the flashing RGB cannot be eliminated, except by deselecting HIGHLIGHTS in the PLAYBACK DISPLAY OPTIONS.

This is OK because highlights are also shown on the RGB HISTORGRAM display.

On the RGB HISTOGRAM screen, the blinking RGB can be rotated through RGB-R-G-B or OFF, using the ISO button and multi-selector. Only the selected highlight will blink, corresponding to the selected RGB-R-G-B or OFF.

See page 188 in the D7100 User's Manual. (pdf download)

I hope this helps...

Bob

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sun 14-Apr-13 09:02 PM
#12. "RE: How to get blinking RGB of Highlight view on D7100"
In response to Reply # 11

Monroe, US

Yes it helps Thanks.I would have to shut off Highlights to stop the RGB from blinking on the RGB Histogram. I with have to live with it because when I am outside it is easier for me to read the Highlights with the blown out areas blink in most cases. I love the size of the screen. I am learning so many things just playing with the buttons. I just figured out how to get the 9 21 & 51 points I saw it when I first got the camera and forgot how to get it after that. It was so simple.. I am used to using my right fingers on the menue and now my left fingers are getting a workout. I am a little clumbsy with the dial but I will get it with parctice. Now I have to figure out how to download the CS6 fix. I need to be alone for that. No interuptions.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26368 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.