Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26336
View in linear mode

Subject: "Third party batteries?" Previous topic | Next topic
nsolo2 Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Fri 12-Apr-13 08:00 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Third party batteries?"

US

Just how good and/or safe are the third party batteries that are listed on Ebay?

They are a good price, but would they pose a possible problem to the electronics of either my D7000 or D7100?

Anyone have any experience to share?

Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."
Mark Twain - Freemason

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Third party batteries?
Omaha
12th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
d70click Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
13th Apr 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
13th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
13th Apr 2013
jmesseder2 Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
17th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
17th Apr 2013
seres2
17th Apr 2013
Clint S Silver Member
17th Apr 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
18th Apr 2013

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Fri 12-Apr-13 09:21 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of an off-brand battery throwing some excess voltage into the camera. Not worth it for a few tens of dollars of savings.

JMHO. YMMV.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 13-Apr-13 03:52 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

There are two answers you should consider:

Any battery not made by Nikon does not have a logic chip in it. The battery might be great, but you will never get accurate power data. The body detects the charge in the battery due to the chip. Not a big loss to some, but it could leave you in the dark at an important moment.

Secondly, if your camera is under warranty, Nikon will not check or repair it with a non-standard battery. And they likely will void the warranty if you tell them about it or they see it themselves.

Same goes for a 3rd party powergrip. If the Nikon Service people see it or detect signs that you've used a non-Nikon grip, they won't work on it. I was told this by a Nikon technician at their Los Angeles service center.

d70click Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007Sat 13-Apr-13 04:06 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington DC, US

I can understand how tempting it may be to save $20 or $30 on the battery, but what if they damage your camera that you paid over $1,000 for? Maybe leakage, burning out a component in the camera, etc. Can you be sure the ebay items are not counterfeit? To me, it's just not worth it.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 13-Apr-13 06:21 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I would not trust eBay for anything that is easily misrepresented but have no problem with quality batteries from your trusted local dealer of pro camera gear. Nikon does not make batteries but instead buys them from major battery companies who are more expert in that field. Back when I got my D90 my local pro shop suggested one by Delkin that was 1/2 the price but higher rated when i sought second battery. It proved to last longer by about 15% and performed identically. It is still doing the same 100,000 shots later.
Contrary to myth all batteries of this chemistry have a controller chip that monitors the battery and offers i/o access. Each battery has a shut off system that disconnects the terminals when charge gets below about 10% (that reports 0% to the outside circuits) to prevent the polarity reversal that can occur at the lowest charge levels. The charge status information is read by the camera just fine using and industry standard interface.
This comes up occasionally and the same old myths keep surfacing. Since most members to not have a lab to test electronics at home so I did in mine 4 years ago and confirmed that my Delkin battery was electrically identical except for slightly higher capacity to the Nikon sold battery. I am sure no Nikon bench tech has done that nor would they have reason or the training to.
Using a battery of the same rating will not void your warranty. That is myth also, besides when sending in a camera you are supposed to remove any accessories including card battery and grip.
As you may be aware, the point of user replaceable items can't void your warranty in most countries simply because it is not the same brand. That was settled in court decades ago in the US when car manufacturers lost their power to require only their own branded tires, batteries, wipers and other user replaceable wear items.
If a manufacturer wants to claim that right they are required to make it inaccessible such as Apple sealed their iPhone so you can't change it. Being able to charge it was one of the reasons I won't get one and got a Samsung Galaxy S3, which is also better in about every way.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 13-Apr-13 01:42 PM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

Well said Stan!

I agree with your comments, especially about NOT buying from eBay. I DO buy non-Nikon batteries, but only from reputable dealers such as B&H, Adorama, etc. Like you, I have run electrical tests and have found such batteries to be closely comparable to those from Nikon.

Pete

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 13-Apr-13 05:33 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 5

Los Angeles, US

Wow, Stan. That is remarkable information. Nikon has all us 'Nikon serfs' believing their marketing blabber. No wonder they are getting richer, while we are getting poorer.

This isn't an important matter to me now that I have the power grip and can use rechargeable aa cells in it. But if I ever have a trip where charging is a problem, I might have to depend on those AA rechareables.

What about dependable outlets (rather than eBay) for a 3rd party en-el15. What are a few reliable brands. BH cells a ton of them, as does Amazon. Which of these have a good reputation.

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 13-Apr-13 09:11 PM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

> Which of these have a good reputation.

B&H is the dealer I favour - for almost everything they offer! They are always my first port-of-call!

Pete

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Sat 13-Apr-13 09:03 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 4

Gettysburg, US

Interesting note about the camera reading the battery and disconnecting below 10%. That could explain why my camera showed a blinking very little charge left but would not focus or shoot - but when I swapped batteries for a full one, it worked????

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sun 14-Apr-13 09:44 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 7

Maidenhead, GB

I've had good results using Blumax batteries in the past. They're German made and very good quality. They had quite a delay in producing an EN-EL15 equivalent which I understand was due to difficulties reverse-engineering the Nikon battery chip.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 14-Apr-13 02:46 PM
#10. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 9

Los Angeles, US

I just did a search for BluMax, Since I have never heard of them. Their website doesn't show any sales outlets in North America.

Often the case with products of Germany. It's the fault of the prissy, and often arcane regulations of the Underwriters Laboratory that gives safety approval on electrical devises. That's the case in America. Canada has its own safety board and they are far more logical about admitting products to market.

Oh, well.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 17-Apr-13 07:00 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 10

St Petersburg, RU

UL approval is not hard at all to get for products that do not have problems. CE which BluMax is certified for is more difficult to get yet every product has it and if not there is a reason that is not based on "arcane regulations" Here in Russia, I had to get GOST certification for a brand of US UL/CE approved guitar amplifiers I became the national distributor for. Yes, it cost money, but minor in relationship to the size of the market it opens the door for. It was less than $2000 for each model.
Back in the US I had a manufacturing company producing equipment for recording studios in the 1970s and 80s and had no problem getting UL and FCC approval even for low volume specialty equipment. Any business producing something that says they are being kept off the market because of arcane rules has a bad product that we are all better off not having them around. Fixing their design or materials is easier than complaining.
The $0.01 more it might cost the end user, saves the potential total loss of assets due to insurance denial for use of unsafe products in the home. The rules are not arbitrary, based on sound engineering and safety principles. Equipment is safer because designers use the guidelines in the design process to meet the requirements or exceed them. That is a good thing and hurts not one.
There are lots of reasons for a maker to not distribute in a country, one being the market being flooded with lower cost items and the high cost of promotion. The US is a tough market, it you are selling items like batteries you have to deal with big retailers that demand major concessions like Wal-Mart. They have the power to put a small producer out of business instantly. Gearing up production to meet their initial demand results in taking on debt and risk. The next supply contract the supplier is at a major disadvantage in having to accept any offer to keep the contract that required the added debt for expansion. A small quality-added supplier is better controlling their own distribution but it means modest growth.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 17-Apr-13 04:01 PM
#14. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 13

Los Angeles, US

Stan, I made the comment about UL labs based on my observation of the long delay of a few Festool products from Germany. I'm a woodworker and use quite a few of them. Festool makes a line of portable drills powered by a brushless motor. In essence, this categorizes the the tool as a 3-phase mattery, though it runs on batteries.

The trigger switch modulates the frequency to regulate speed, rather than using electrical resistance. The latter burns up battery juice.

An eager community of users waited and waited for the drills. It took, I believe, 18 months between the product announcement and the first sale. Of course what transpired between Festool and UL was behind closed doors, so we were all engaging in 'tool gossip' and might have been looney. But it was comforting to label UL as a boogey man. There has to be a bad guy in every story. Right?

seres2 Registered since 12th Mar 2013Wed 17-Apr-13 02:54 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Considering the price of the camera, and any repair, the cost saving of a non-OEM battery is not worth the risk.

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Wed 17-Apr-13 06:03 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

I've used a brand called Synergy Digital in several different camera brands - they work as good or better than OEM, including my D800.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Thu 18-Apr-13 10:12 AM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Third party batteries?"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Something to think about...

New Nikon batteries can fail nearly out of the box (in as little as three charge cycles) and Nikon will NOT replace them in warranty, as it is an expendable part.

I, for one, am not paying twice as much for an expensive "genuine" part not covered by Nikon's umbrella.

Bob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26336 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.