Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26292
View in linear mode

Subject: "Collection of settings for using the D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
Propjob Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009Thu 11-Apr-13 10:14 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Collection of settings for using the D7100"

Rochester, US

Hi All:
As we start to get used to the new D 7100, I thought it might be prudent to put together settings that work, for Picture controls, autofocus ect. What are you using for your style of photography? Some great stuff garnered from the D 7000 users. If you know of other links that you have found post them for the rest. Autofocus seems to be a big thing and is addressed throughout the forums. Perhaps this could be a one stop shop.

JIM

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Sun 14-Apr-13 04:23 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Collection of settings for using the D7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 14-Apr-13 04:52 AM by Clint S

Chula Vista, US

Picture controls - I usually use Standard or Neutral Picture Controls, Sharpening +5. That's it as I shoot primarily RAW and would rather alter my own JPGS when using them. The plus 5 helps to visualize what I get with Lightrooms default sharpening of RAW files at import.

Focus Settings - AFS Single Point, and may use AF-C usually with 1 or 9 points. I do not set this in the menus.

ISO - not set in menus, I don out use Auto ISO.

WB - Auto (normally change for each enviroment)

D7100 Settings Changed immediatly - other changes may occur as I get used to the camera

a1 Beep. On (when focused) (I keep this until I am comfortable knowing the focus abilities of the camera then turn it off)

a2 Viewfinder grid display, On ( I like the grid)

a4 AF point illumination, On (I like to see what AF point(s) are active)

a5 Focus Point Wrap Around, On (personal preference)

a7 Built in AF-assist illuminator, Off (I find it annoying)

b4 Center weighted area 8mm at default (preference)

e1 Flash Sync Speed - 1/320 FP (preference)

e2 Flash Shutter speed 1/2 second (sometimes I use flash to freeze the subject and still have some blur, works in conjunction with front/rear curtain sync)

e4 Exposure compensation for flash - background only (I like my EC differentiated between background and subject, if I want a change in both I'll change ISO - this is a new setting so I hope I understand it)

e5 Modeling Flash - Off (preference)

e6 Auto Bracketing Set, AE only (preference as I have use for this and the others would confuse me)

e7 Bracketing order - MTR > Under > Over (preference)

f1 OK Button - Shooting mode - reset center focus (preference)
- Playback mode, zoom - medium (100% view)
- Live view, Zoom medium

f2 Assign Fn Button - Virtual Horizon

f7 Slot Empty release- lock - no shutter release unless SD card present (My first change on a camera)

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26292 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.