Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26272
View in linear mode

Subject: "What has happenbed to my camera?" Previous topic | Next topic
jvb2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2012Thu 11-Apr-13 01:45 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What has happenbed to my camera?"

Arlington, US

Just came back from a vacation with my D7000. About half-way through the trip, I started seeing this happen to my images (see below). For the remainder of the trip, it happened on some shots, but not all, in random conditions, with different lenses. Clearly the issue is in the body itself.
As you can see...the weird pixel issue is not in one consistent place on the sensor, but rather happens in varying parts of the image. At first I though it was mostly in the brighter/over-exposed areas, but in some images it happens in darker/shadowed areas.
Took it to my local shop (whom I believe to be very knowledgeable) today and two of the guys were stumped, saying they had never seen it. One guy said it may have something to do with the analog-to-digital converter (????), or maybe vice-versa...
I'm going back there tomorrow to see one of their other guys who is more directly connected with Nikon to see where we go next. Any thoughts or experience with something like this??? I'm not looking forward to a big repair bill...maybe time to upgrade to the D7100....

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What has happenbed to my camera?
billD80 Silver Member
11th Apr 2013
jvb2 Silver Member
11th Apr 2013
Omaha
11th Apr 2013
jvb2 Silver Member
11th Apr 2013
Omaha
11th Apr 2013
dm1dave Administrator
11th Apr 2013
jvb2 Silver Member
11th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
11th Apr 2013
Castlk
11th Apr 2013
jvb2 Silver Member
11th Apr 2013
jvb2 Silver Member
11th Apr 2013
dm1dave Administrator
11th Apr 2013
Omaha
12th Apr 2013
elcee Silver Member
12th Apr 2013
                    Reply message RE: What has happened to my camera?
jvb2 Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
                         Reply message RE: What has happened to my camera?
billD80 Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
PAStime Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
jvb2 Silver Member
15th Jul 2013

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 11-Apr-13 02:28 AM
2118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Does it do this with all SD Cards?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jvb2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2012Thu 11-Apr-13 02:39 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 1

Arlington, US

Yes. I even bought a new SD card after it started happening, as I had read that it could have been an issue in converting the image over to the card...but no change.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 11-Apr-13 02:30 AM
461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

That's a weird one.

Can you describe your workflow a bit? Are these camera-generated jpg's, or are you exporting raw files and converting them outside the camera?

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

jvb2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2012Thu 11-Apr-13 02:41 AM
#4. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 2

Arlington, US

These are camera-generated jpeg images. I just exported them as-is from iphoto...

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 11-Apr-13 03:31 AM
461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 11-Apr-13 03:33 AM by Omaha

Omaha, US

Do you have a raw converter (like the one in Photoshop, for example)? You might try looking at it from that end.

Off the top of my head, my troubleshooting list would be:

1) Try different memory cards. (Already done.)
2) Try transferring using a USB cord instead of pulling the memory card.
3) Shoot RAW to one card, JPG to the other. Process the RAW file in Photoshop (or whatever you've got handy). Compare to in-camera JPG.

Do let us know how this turns out.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 11-Apr-13 02:49 AM
11058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Do you see this when you zoom into the image on the back of the camera?

Are you using a card reader to transfer the images from the card to the computer? Can you try transferring to another computer?

You mentioned that these were shot JEPG have you tried shooting NEF?

It looks a lot like the data has been corrupted. You have already ruled out the SD card. I would try to rule out the file transfer process and the software on your computer.

If it is visible on the cameras LCD then you will probably need to send the camera to Nikon for warranty repair.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

jvb2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2012Thu 11-Apr-13 02:33 PM
#9. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 5

Arlington, US

Thanks Dave.
Yes, the exact flaws are visible on the back of the camera when I zoom in immediately after taking the image.
I do connect directly to my computer via USB cord, so I know the issue isnt in the transfer there...

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 11-Apr-13 03:42 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

There are a number of possible causes, some could be resolved without sending it in for repair.
The first step would be to isolate possible settings or conditions that are common between the images.
Take a photo of series in RAW file mode to get a set baseline image data. If the JPG rendering engine in the firmware is causing this, it still will appear to have the problem if viewing the thumbnail or rear display LCD. Use whatever RAW conversion software you have, such as ACR or ViewNX to make a JPG version of the RAW file. Is the problem there in both the out of camera JPG and the new RAW rendered JPG?
If they both have it, is in the same place in the frame?
Review all your settings, for example is ADL on?
Does it mostly impact highlights as in the images above?
Since it moves to different parts of the frame it is probably related to content data rather than a hardware problem with sensor or ADC.
If it is a rendering or internal conversion problem, it could be firmware related, in that case, after determining how to recreate it consistently by isolating the needed conditions to reproduce the symptoms, you could(should) download and install the new firmware released last week for the D7000.
Good luck
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Thu 11-Apr-13 01:00 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 7

Farmingville, US

I agree with Stan, I would install the latest firmware in the camera if you haven't done so already and see how it looks. If that doesn't resolve your issue a trip to Nikon Service would be my next step. Good luck and keep us updated, I have a D7000 and I'd be curious to know what the issue is as would other D7000 owners as well I'm sure.

jvb2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2012Thu 11-Apr-13 02:35 PM
#10. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 7

Arlington, US

Thanks Stan for the advice.
Some of your suggestions are a bit beyond my knowledge base (which is why I love this site!)...

How do I update the firmware?

jvb2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2012Thu 11-Apr-13 02:37 PM
#11. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 10

Arlington, US

Never mind...I was premature in that last question...I just found the steps on Nikon's website.
I'll let you all know how it turns out...

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 11-Apr-13 04:46 PM
11058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 11

Lowden, US

I hope that a firmware fixes the issue. Good luck!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Fri 12-Apr-13 05:51 PM
#13. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 12

Omaha, US

Hope we get an update on this soon. I'm very curious what's going on...

elcee Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Fri 12-Apr-13 11:21 PM
5680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 13

Albuquerque, US

Sort of looks like the d200 banding a decade ago. (d200 wasn't color, was monochrome, did require visit to Nikon).

~LarryC (eLCee)

jvb2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2012Sat 13-Apr-13 01:36 AM
#15. "RE: What has happened to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 13

Arlington, US

Had it back to the dealer yesterday and, of course, we couldn't duplicate the issue.
I'm updating the firmware tonight, will try some shooting tomorrow to see what happens...

The repair guy at the dealer, by the way, was cautioning me against sending my camera directly to Nikon for analysis and to be serviced.
He urged me to consider sending it to C.R.I.S. in Arizona instead...anyone ever deal with them?

His reasoning: He thought if Nikon can't see the problem themselves, they'd send it back without repair and still charge me, where as C.R.I.S. he says wouldn't charge me if they didn't repair anything. He also said that, in his experience, Nikon will often do something else to the camera (not necessarily related to the problem) and charge me for that too. He's admittedly cynical based on his experience with Nikon (and also a Cannon shooter!). I'd love to hear any thoughts out there regarding his opinions...

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 13-Apr-13 02:20 PM
2118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: What has happened to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 15

US

>His reasoning: He thought if Nikon can't see the problem
>themselves, they'd send it back without repair and still
>charge me, where as C.R.I.S. he says wouldn't charge me if
>they didn't repair anything. He also said that, in his
>experience, Nikon will often do something else to the camera
>(not necessarily related to the problem) and charge me for
>that too. He's admittedly cynical based on his experience
>with Nikon (and also a Cannon shooter!). I'd love to hear any
>thoughts out there regarding his opinions...

I can't imagine not sending it to Nikon. The guy's reasoning is indeed very cynical, and I think it's unwarranted.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 13-Apr-13 07:15 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

I am guessing a hardware failure in the body of the camera, likely the sensor chip or the image processing chip or a bit line in between.

I had a high-end Sony point and shoot do something similar a number of years ago. I ended up throwing the camera into the trash. Sorry to share bad news - if my guess is right.

Good luck,
Peter

jvb2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2012Mon 15-Jul-13 09:34 PM
#18. "RE: What has happenbed to my camera?"
In response to Reply # 17

Arlington, US

A long overdo update on my D7000....

So, I decided to send the camera to C.R.I.S. in Arizona. They couldn't resolve the issue, so they sent it to Nikon. For just over $300, Nikon put a new sensor in. I got the camera back about 2 weeks ago (after not having it for 5-6 weeks). It worked fine for the couple weeks that I've had it, but today, the issue has returned. Very strange.

I called today, and will be shipping it back to Nikon. The repair is obviously under warranty.

The "good" news: In the meantime, I bought the 7100, deciding to use the 7000 as my back-up body. Good thing.

Who knows what will happen next...

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26272 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.