Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26242
View in linear mode

Subject: "Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 09-Apr-13 11:43 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"

Los Angeles, US

Can it be done so as to activate Playback (review) and Retouch menus on the D7000?

I tried dragging and dropping previously uploaded images from my computer back to SD card.

ViewNX2 help menu says nothing about putting an image back into your computer. Copy doesn't work. Can't name destination other than the same folder. Paste doesn't work. And the Transfer utility works in one direction only ------ SD Card > Computer.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????
JosephK Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
golfercat Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
JosephK Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
elec164 Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
10th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
10th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
10th Apr 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 10-Apr-13 12:51 AM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

If the JPG has not been edited, you can probably get it to work via drag and drop; but the cameras are very picky otherwise. You will need to get the directory structure correct on the card.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Wed 10-Apr-13 12:56 AM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"
In response to Reply # 0

Menifee, US

Out of curiosity, why on earth do you want to do that? Have you tried formatting the card to make sure you have no duplicate images on the SD card? Duplicate file names would cause issues. I think that you should be able to copy the file from your reader to the SD card. You probably have to load it in the directory DCIM/100ND7000. (all Nikon DSLR's that I have seen use the same convention)I dont have a D7000 so that is something you can verify to see the path where the data is located on the SD card. On a windows system it is viewable by selecting Computer and the proper device. The JPEG is simply a computer file in the camera or in your computer. and aDSLR is simply a computer with optics.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 10-Apr-13 03:46 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

I did navigate to the correct DCIM folder on the card. My reason for doing this was to apply (after the fact) ĹD-L lighting so as to compress the DR on an image taken last year. Of a red flower in sunlight. The red channel on the Histogram was completely blown out.

I'm trying to learn how to control HDR on images with high contrast. If I had known about AD-L when I took the shot, I would have set that up on the Shooting Menu before pressing the shutter.

I'll try shooting it again instead of trying to clean up an old file. I sure have a lot to learn about digital. But I'll get there.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 10-Apr-13 07:59 AM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like you would be better off getting a copy of Capture NX2 so that you can do the post processing you want.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 10-Apr-13 10:16 AM
1968 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>I did navigate to the correct DCIM folder on the card. My
>reason for doing this was to apply (after the fact) ĹD-L
>lighting so as to compress the DR on an image taken last year.
>Of a red flower in sunlight. The red channel on the Histogram
>was completely blown out.
>

AD-L must be activated in camera during capture. If it wasn't, then it cannot be activated after the fact. And AD-L is not the same as D-L (although the desired end result is similar).

If the sensel for the red channel (or any channel for that matter) truly reached saturation (blown out) there is nothing to recover. If it's only one channel, there is a way you can PP the image to produce false detail using information from the other channels. But a blown out channel is just that, blown out.

Pete

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Wed 10-Apr-13 08:06 PM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

Such in-camera processing options are performed before a JPG is created. They can only be performed using the basic image data from the sensor. If you want to achieve similar effects, you must shoot RAW and use post-processing software to process the RAW files.

Pete

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 10-Apr-13 08:52 PM
#8. "RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"
In response to Reply # 7

Los Angeles, US

I'm learning. You just can't treat the D7000 and image files the way you would with a 1981 Atari or Commodore computer.

Now, where is my 5.25 inch floppy disk

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Wed 10-Apr-13 09:18 PM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

Gary,
LOL!

You're obviously a "youngster". I cut my teeth on a computer in 1957, at which time a team of resident engineers were needed to keep it going. Literally they occupied an apartment-like space in a room adjacent to the computer room. It used 5-track paper tape as the main input-output medium (although it was later upgraded to use 8-track tape). The machine had an MTBF of about 20 MINUTES, and was located at a prestigious atomic research laboratory in UK. Oh yes, we programmed it using direct binary code. We didn't even have an assembler! Nevertheless, we achieved some pretty amazing things using it (a Ferranti "Mercury", at the U.K.A.E.A., A.E.R.E., Harwell.)

I have a LOT more "computing power" in my wristwatch than was available for plotting particle trajectories in magnetic fields, in those days!

Pete
PS. Old age is a helluva price to pay for the wisdom one is expected to accumulate on the way!

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 10-Apr-13 09:31 PM
#10. "RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 10-Apr-13 09:32 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

I didn't get my first computer (IBM PC) until 1982. They were fast becoming a necessity for writers.

In 1979, I took a 2-month language course over the summer at UCLA. Class was held in the Management School bldg. In the lobby, behind large glass walls stood a computer that was part of the Defense Department's Arpanet -- a millitary-academic forerunner of the World Wide Web. They had on display large metallic platters with coils at the periphery hanging in that window.

A placard described these as "ferrous memory disks". They were about 14 inches in diameter.
A decade later I attended some conference in that building. This time, a placard in the window declared that the world's first email message sent from that room to a computer at Stanford University nearly 400 miles to the north.

I was a journalist, and my PC saved me a lot of toil and agony. But, in a strange twist, it led to many more revisions. And these, in retrospect, were unnecessary. The ease of editing and re-editing made me, at least, too self-conscious about my wording. A great topic for Psychiatrists studying writers and the effect of computers on their work.

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Wed 10-Apr-13 09:54 PM
#11. "RE: Copying a Jpeg Back to SD Card????"
In response to Reply # 10

San Jose, US

Ah! Memories!

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26242 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.