Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26209
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 in action at Costa Rica" Previous topic | Next topic
FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Mon 08-Apr-13 06:47 PM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 in action at Costa Rica"

Miami, US

Just returned from Costa Rica where I took my D7100 coupled with the 18-300mm lens that used 100% of the time. Many of the pics were taken with a high ISO sometimes up to 3200 with very god results. All pics taken hand held. Check the following tabs on my website. Landscapes, wildlife, sunrise to sunset, etc. Took over 3k pics and just posted a few. Your comments are appreciated.

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica
billD80 Silver Member
08th Apr 2013
JerryLoSardo Silver Member
08th Apr 2013
markel253 Silver Member
08th Apr 2013
francine Silver Member
09th Apr 2013
jmesseder2 Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
FutureLook Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
Castlk
10th Apr 2013
Propjob Silver Member
11th Apr 2013
jmesseder2 Silver Member
12th Apr 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
12th Apr 2013
phlash46
12th Apr 2013
bluefeather505
12th Apr 2013
FutureLook Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
cjablang
23rd Apr 2013
tommiejeep Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
briantilley Moderator
23rd Apr 2013
torwood Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
FutureLook Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
FutureLook Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 08-Apr-13 10:35 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Your work is simply beautiful.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberMon 08-Apr-13 11:39 PM
893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

Tony, your work is superb. Is there a way that you can reveal the exif data for the images?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

markel253 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2013Mon 08-Apr-13 11:47 PM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Gorgeous shots. And yes - would appreciate it if there is any way to share the EXIF info.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Mark

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Tue 09-Apr-13 10:38 PM
851 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 3

Monroe, US

Very nice shots I also lilked your wildlife.

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Wed 10-Apr-13 01:25 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0

Gettysburg, US

Really nice stuff! I, too would like to see the exif, but if you'd rather not, maybe we could come up with a way to help me with a decision I'm nearly ready to make. I have

= D7000
= Tamron 17-50/2.8 (mostly for portrait and video)
= Nikon 70-300/4.5-5.6 (for longer distance stuff)

I've been scratching around looking at pictures and yours are the closest I've found to what I'm thinking -- a Nikon 18-300/3.5-5.6 as a single lens solution for my work (samples at johnmesseder.com/).

I write a couple of columns, mostly about water issues, with stills (and getting into video) for illustration. The Tamron works great for portraits and video, and it's what I mount when I know that's what I'm doing, but changing lenses in some places is risky at best, especially when the situations mean multiple swaps, so I'm wondering how the 18-300 actually performs.

It looks as though you've got it working pretty well. I'm wondering whether you, or anyone here, knows whether the 7000 would be any different.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Wed 10-Apr-13 03:56 AM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 10-Apr-13 01:19 PM by FutureLook

Miami, US

First of all I want to thank all of you for your kind comments. Some of you asked me if I could provide the EXIF and to be perfectly honest with you, I don' have the slightest idea on how to do it.

John, I have a D7000 and I have been really satisfied since I purchased it. I think I bought the first one that arrived at my local store and used it mainly for the compactness and the 16mp capability. Jut before visiting Costa Rica, I paid a visit to my daughters in Raleigh where I used the D7000 coupled with the 18-300 resulting in pics that were very pleasing to my expectations. I also had the opportunity to take action shots using this combo with my grandson who pitches for NC State with solid performance under low light conditions. I wanted to take the D7100 with me to Raleigh but it arrived at my local store a couple of days after I have left home.

The reason why I bought the D7100 was mainly because of it's 24mp, the ability to bracket for HDR from 3 max by the D7000 to 5 or 7 exposures with high resolution situations when needed. Going back to the 18-300 lens, I decided to buy it when it came out since I had previously owned the 18-200 with good results but always felt the need to have additional reach. I took my old reliable 12-24 Nikon lens and never left the bag. The main reason is that I try to avoid if at all possible, changing lens under adverse conditions especially in humid or dusty places such as Costa Rica and I am glad I kept the 18-300 coupled with the D7100 especially at the Arenal canopy where it never stopped raining and I just simply couldn't use the camera due to the circumstances.
I used Auto ISO in many instances starting at 800 with maximum of 3200 and no less than 640 and 1000 minimum shutter speed. In many cases I had to push the EV to +2 because of the poor lighting in the rain forest due to fog or rain. All pictures were handheld sometimes using VR. Shot a few using the P setting but most were Aperture or Speed preferred. Extremely fast focusing with virtually no focusing hunting under poor light. Used Continuous AF in most instances however, I also used single for landscapes.
I will posting a few more soon.
Again, I want to thank all of you for your kind comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Wed 10-Apr-13 05:13 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 6

Farmingville, US

Your images are spectacular, thanks for sharing.

Propjob Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009Thu 11-Apr-13 01:58 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 7

Rochester, US

very nice!

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Fri 12-Apr-13 01:52 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 6

Gettysburg, US

Quote: First of all I want to thank all of you for your kind comments. Some of you asked me if I could provide the EXIF ... unquote

You site feels like it's SmugMug based. If so, log in, go to the gallery of interest, and look for the Tools drop list. Select Gallery Settings. Under Look & Feel, check Yes for Camera Info.

BTW, at the top of the Gallery Settings dialog, there's a selection to Change Settings for. You can set for either the currently selected gallery, or all of them.

And if I'm wrong about you're using SmugMug, you may go back and unread the foregoing. =)

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 12-Apr-13 01:30 AM
4476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Beautiful work to be proud of. Thanks for sharing with us your work.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

phlash46 Registered since 01st Feb 2008Fri 12-Apr-13 01:36 PM
2207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 9

Peekskill, US

Beautiful work. Amazing that it was done with a lens so many people knock. Yet again, it's the person behind the lens that matters most. You have a very good eye.

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

bluefeather505 Registered since 10th Apr 2013Fri 12-Apr-13 01:52 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 11

Albuquerque, US

Superb shots!
I love the texture and feel of your photos. Costa Rica is a beautiful country and you have shown tastes of it well.
I also have a D7100 and a 18-300 lens, I am quickly becoming a fan.
Thanks for the fine contributions,
Mike
Albuquerque, New Mexico

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Sat 13-Apr-13 02:02 PM
#13. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 13-Apr-13 02:06 PM by FutureLook

Miami, US

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for such positive comments. I am really flattered especially coming from my fellow Nikonians. My website has received over 12K hits thanks to many of you that showed genuine interest on what this camera can do with just an 18-300mm lens. You have renewed my interest in becoming a better photographer which has always been my passion. Now that I am retired, I plan to polish my skills although limited with weight because of back problems.
God bless!!!

cjablang Registered since 22nd Apr 2013Tue 23-Apr-13 02:19 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Great pictures! You have me seriously thinking more and more about the 18-300mm lens. Thanks for sharing!

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Tue 23-Apr-13 04:02 AM
4394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 13

Goa, IN

Hi Tony, excellent images. You have made me realize that I should really work to become a better photographer or, at least, a photographer .

I do not know if the problem of EXIF data is with your Smugmug settings but worth a look. Go to you gallery settings in "Look and Feel" and see if you have "Camera info" set to yes or no. Otherwise you'll have to check your PP program.

Many thanks for the link
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 23-Apr-13 02:20 PM
3140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

Nice pictures but cannot find any of Costa Rica.
Only ones I could ID were Big Sur, Amsterdam, and San Francisco.

We spent two weeks in Costa Rica 2009 with D90 and 18-200

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 23-Apr-13 04:35 PM
28735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 16

Paignton, GB

>Nice pictures but cannot find any of Costa Rica.

There are quite a few shots of Costa Rica in Tony's gallery, in the tabs that he indicated in his original post. I liked them

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Tue 23-Apr-13 05:32 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 17
Tue 23-Apr-13 05:33 PM by torwood

Jefferson Hills, US

Tony: You are truly a talented and skilled artist. I love your photos, especially your sunsets. Thank you for sharing with us. When my kids get older, and I have more time to travel, I'd like to get back into shooting landscapes and architecture again. Your work is a good standard to aspire to.

Do you do a lot of post processing in your work?

Your Costa Rica shots are proof that you don;t need to carry around a $3,000+ camera body and a bag of giant f2.8 zooms to get artistic, professional results. For this type of photography, a D7000 and a decent variable aperture zoom are all you need. I play pool, and we always say "...a professional can beat any one of us playing with a broomstick."

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Tue 23-Apr-13 05:50 PM
#20. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 19

Miami, US

Ryan,
Thanks for your kind comments. Glad you liked the pictures. I try to do very little post processing since my eyesight is not that good due to glaucoma and I can't spend too much time in front of a monitor. I also have back problems therefore; last year I decided to start taking only one camera body and just one lens to minimize the weight. I figured that if I needed a wide angle, my body would try to capture the angle that I wanted by moving back whenever possible. I also have the D800 coupled with a 28-300 that I used last year during a European river cruise since I didn't have to carry the equipment for long stretches. I have the 2.8s at home and only use them if I don't have to walk with them. I learned to compromise with the slower lenses and I must say that thanks to the new camera bodies where I can push the ISO to unimaginable settings a short while ago, I am able to capture pics that I never thought I could.
Once again, thanks for your kind comments. They are greatly appreciated.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 24-Apr-13 03:16 PM
3322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 20

Dyserth, GB

Great shots Tony. The one that I think particularly typifies the clarity and sharpness of the D7100 is "Coral Gables". Terrific gallery with many shots taken in Amalfi, Florence etc. exactly where I've photographed the same views

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Tue 23-Apr-13 05:14 PM
#18. "RE: D7100 in action at Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 23-Apr-13 05:15 PM by FutureLook

Miami, US

Thanks to everyone for your positive comments and recommendations on gallery settings. Thanks Brian for your comments on how to access the Costa Rica pics. I am very pleased that you liked them.
I just incorporated new ones to the following galleries:
-People
-Colorful edibles

Comments from my fellow nikonians mean a lot to me.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26209 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.