Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26199
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 wet cleaning" Previous topic | Next topic
jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 08-Apr-13 12:08 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 wet cleaning"

egg harbor twp, US

I'd rather ask a some what basic question than have a costly repair.
When the 800 was released and I made the decesion to opt for the D800 non "E" version as I was afraid of sensor damage if wet cleaning became necessary as it eventuality will. Well I got the D7100 for reach factor. Long on getting to the point is there some glass or other sensor protection or will cleaning be directly on the sensor
Worried D7100 owner
Jeff's
Thanks all for responses

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 wet cleaning
Leonard62 Gold Member
08th Apr 2013
aolander Silver Member
08th Apr 2013
brobones Gold Member
08th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
08th Apr 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
08th Apr 2013
brobones Gold Member
08th Apr 2013
dm1dave Administrator
08th Apr 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
08th Apr 2013
kentak Silver Member
08th Apr 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 08-Apr-13 12:56 PM
2887 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 wet cleaning"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

First, you don't want to put any type of protector on the sensor filter.

I find that the camera bodies that have automatic sensor cleaning at startup/shutdown are less likely to require wet cleaning than cameras that don't. Just use a bulb blower from time to time to remove any dust that may accumulate in the mirror/sensor chamber. However you shouldn't be afraid of wet cleaning. The filter in front of the sensor is pretty hard.

Len

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 08-Apr-13 01:03 PM
3173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 wet cleaning"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It isn't just a bare sensor. You won't be cleaning the sensor surface itself.

Alan

brobones Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Aug 2006Mon 08-Apr-13 03:59 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 wet cleaning"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

I too have a question about cleaning the sensor of the my D7100.
Is there a specific cleaning fluid for the D7100 since it does not have the low pass filter? Or can I use the same cleaning fluid I use on them D300?

TIA
Bro

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 08-Apr-13 07:58 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 wet cleaning"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

The expensive Eclipse fluid is just plain old Methyl Alcohol according to one poster who said they say the MSDS shipping data for it. I was surprised since I was lead to believe it was isopropanol based on comments from the owner of the company. In either case, they are safe on silicon glass and lithium niobate which are used for sensors and optical low pass filters respectively.
Be sure, whatever the source of the Methyl Alcohol is, to keep the container closed between uses since these alcohols are hygroscopic so absorb moisture from the air. Any water can lead to slower drying and streaks. Flushing it with pure alcohol will absorb the excess water and keep it suspended so it is not a big deal. If streaks appear, the fluid might be contaminated or you are using in very humid environments.
The sensor is pretty tough so you will likely never have to worry about damaging a sensor.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 08-Apr-13 08:26 PM
2887 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 wet cleaning"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

Even though it doesn't have a low pass filter it should still have an IR filter over the sensor. I would also recommend Eclipse fluid. If it's at all reassuring, they guarantee that if their product is used as recommended and damages the sensor they will fully pay for the repair.

Len

brobones Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Aug 2006Mon 08-Apr-13 09:10 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 wet cleaning"
In response to Reply # 5

CA

Thanks for your replies... greatly appreciated.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 08-Apr-13 09:20 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 wet cleaning"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Even without a low pass filter the imaging sensor is not exposed. There are other filters over the top of the sensor.

Cleaning the D7100 or D800E is no different than cleaning any other Nikon camera sensor.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 08-Apr-13 10:15 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7100 wet cleaning"
In response to Reply # 7

egg harbor twp, US

Thanks
I kind of knew there was some kind of surface over the sensor but not sure
Jeffcs
Keep shooting and enjoy all of your Nikons

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 08-Apr-13 10:41 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 wet cleaning"
In response to Reply # 8

US

It stands to reason that any sensitive sensor surface would not be left naked. After all, Nikon, knows that sensor cleaning is a routine maintenance procedure and would design the camera accordingly. Rest easy.

Kent

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26199 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.