Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26145
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem with D7100 shutter speed" Previous topic | Next topic
Sirisauce Registered since 06th Apr 2013Sat 06-Apr-13 05:43 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problem with D7100 shutter speed"

US

Hi all! I just recently upgraded to the D7100 and went to shoot with it in manual mode tonight. I ran into a problem where I could only get the shutter speed up to 1/250 when it's supposed to go up to 1/8000. Anyone have any idea what's wrong? I read the entire manual and tried so many things. I don't understand why it won't let me increase the shutter speed. Not using flash or anything. Please help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problem with D7100 shutter speed
six34sigma Silver Member
06th Apr 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
06th Apr 2013
JosephK Silver Member
06th Apr 2013
Sirisauce
06th Apr 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
06th Apr 2013
Sirisauce
06th Apr 2013
Blupurs
21st Nov 2013
Blupurs
21st Nov 2013
aolander Silver Member
21st Nov 2013

six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Sat 06-Apr-13 06:46 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problem with D7100 shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 0

Cumming, US

Sounds like you were using a flash? Max flash synch speed is 1/250, see menu item e1. Hopefully this helps.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 06-Apr-13 07:40 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Problem with D7100 shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 1

Maidenhead, GB

Have you gone to the wrong end of the shutter speed range? If your 250 has an 'X' next to it, you've selected the flash sync shutter speed. You need to spin the dial all the way to the other end to get to 1/8000.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 06-Apr-13 07:44 PM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problem with D7100 shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Check to make sure you did not go the wrong way on the dial as the slow end will have "bulb" and "x250" along with all the whole-second times having a double-quote after them (math symbol for seconds).

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Sirisauce Registered since 06th Apr 2013Sat 06-Apr-13 07:48 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Problem with D7100 shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I wasn't using any sort of flash and I put the dial as far as it would go both directions. 250x in one direction to 250 in the other. I tried every button and read the whole manual and it finally let me change up to 8000 when I changed something in the custom settings called command mode. I still don't quite understand it, but at least I can use the higher shutter speeds now.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 06-Apr-13 08:00 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Problem with D7100 shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 06-Apr-13 08:01 PM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

Do you mean 'Commander Mode'? This is an operating mode for the on-board flash that allows it to wirelessly control remote CLS compatible Nikon Speedlites. It shouldn't affect shutter speed selection unless you're using flash.

Was the on-board flash popped up when you had this issue?

Sirisauce Registered since 06th Apr 2013Sat 06-Apr-13 09:25 PM
#6. "RE: Problem with D7100 shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 5

US

No my flash was not popped up at all, but when I changed the commander mode it suddenly allowed me to scroll up the shutter speed all the way. I don't know why.

Blupurs Registered since 21st Nov 2013Thu 21-Nov-13 02:20 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Problem with D7100 shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi,
I joined this forum to figure out this exact same problem.
I learned on a Nikon D50 and in September purchased a D7100.
In manual mode, which I prefer to use, the shutter will go no higher than 60 secs.
I've reset the camera to factory settings.
Shutter priority also has horrible and blurry pics.
The only place I am getting a decent action shot ( action with a dog running) is in Aperture Mode?
I don't know what to try next besides calling Nikon
Thanks Blupurs

Blupurs Registered since 21st Nov 2013Thu 21-Nov-13 02:26 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Problem with D7100 shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I want to add that in Aperture I can get a shutter for an action photo of 1/500 up to 1/1000 or better. Why can't I in manual?

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 21-Nov-13 05:48 PM
3174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Problem with D7100 shutter speed"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 21-Nov-13 05:52 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

I have a D7100 and in manual exposure mode the only way shutter speed is restricted is if you have the flash enabled. Then shutter speed is restricted to whatever to have the Flash Sync Speed set to in the menu (Custom Setting Menu item e1).

In shutter priority you set the shutter speed so if you're getting blurred images from motion, then you haven't set a high enough speed. However, if your "issue" is preventing higher speeds, then I can see why. Perhaps the flash is not latching closed completely. ?? But that wouldn't explain why everything works in aperture priority.??

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26145 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.