Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26037
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cards for 7100" Previous topic | Next topic
Upstateaudio Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Aug 2002Thu 04-Apr-13 02:33 AM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cards for 7100"

Niskayuna, US

Just got the 7100. This is the first DSLR I've bought that uses SD cards. I have a 5 year old D300 that will act as a second body once I get used to the 7100.
What cards are others using?

I presently have Transcend 32GB that came with the camera.

I have always used Sandisks, (used the Extreme IV on teh D300

Appreciate and record the beauty of the natural world

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cards for 7100
wlwakefield
04th Apr 2013
Pugzilla Gold Member
04th Apr 2013
PaintedRays Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
brobones Gold Member
04th Apr 2013
Pugzilla Gold Member
04th Apr 2013

wlwakefield Registered since 21st Jan 2007Thu 04-Apr-13 02:44 AM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 04-Apr-13 02:44 AM by wlwakefield

Irving, US

Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 mb/s 32mb.

http://www.wlwakefield.com

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Thu 04-Apr-13 03:16 AM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 1

Boca Raton, US

Agree totally with first reply - all my cards are SanDisks - just buy them from a reputable dealer (B&H, etc. due to some counterfeits in the marketplace). However, you probably would not suffer if you used the SanDisk Extreme 45mb/sec. Even if you shoot NEF all the time, while a 32 Gb card is great, I think a 16 Gb card would be sufficient for this camera - even less if you're a JPEG shooter. I use a primary 32 Gb card in my D800 due to the massive NEF 14 bit file size.

Enjoy it; it can do some great stuff!

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PaintedRays Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2011Thu 04-Apr-13 03:44 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 2

Oregon, US

I have had 2 SD cards fail on me. One was Lexar and one was Sandisk. They both stood behind them and I got replacements right away. I won't use anything but the big 2. Almost all of my SD cards are currently Sandisk. I think the Extreme Pro is a bit overkill. I shoot motorcycle racing and if I pump my frame rate to the max, I simply come home with too many images without any more keepers. True my Extreme Pro will clear the buffer faster, but in normal shooting, I'll never be slowed down with the Ultra. I just bought 2 32GB Ultras to be sure I had enough memory for a wedding. They were great and I never knew the difference. Shooting birds in flight require some quick bursts, but for me never more than 6 or 7 frames. Good luck!

www.paintedrays.com

brobones Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Aug 2006Thu 04-Apr-13 04:24 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

I two recently purchased a D7100, since there is a wealth of experience in here how well will these cards work Lexar™ 32GB Professional 400x SDHC UHS-I Card (Class 10).
Will they work as well as the Sandisk 95mbs SanDisk Extreme Pro® SDXC™ UHS-I Memory Card.
Both cards are in the 32GB size. The Lexar brand is on sale right now for half the price of the Sandisk.

TIA.
Bro

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Thu 04-Apr-13 06:55 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 4

Boca Raton, US

The Lexar 400X reads at about 60 MB/sec but writes at 10 MB/sec, while the 600X reads at 95 MB/sec and writes at 45. So the answer is...maybe, depending on the need of the camera. The 400X reads faster and writes slower than the comparable SanDisk and the 600X reads at the same speed and writes slower. Quality is there, however. I'll let someone who actually tests these go from there, but my gut feeling is that 10MB/sec is too slow a write speed for the D7100.

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26037 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.