Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26024
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does the 1.3 crop really work? An example." Previous topic | Next topic
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Thu 04-Apr-13 12:05 AM
283 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does the 1.3 crop really work? An example."

Calgary, CA

I take weekly Sunday morning walks with a birding group, truth is I'm a mammal guy. With this being the first walk with the 7100 I decided to take the 70-300mm VR. These shots are right out of the camera with Whitebalance adjusted to Cloudy from Auto WB-1
Picture control set to Landscape. These were the only adjustments made to the image.
This is a shot of a Snowshoe Hare running flat out.

75mm ISO 400, 1/1600 f/4.5

Here is the same shot @ 100% crop of the image.

The light conditions were brutal with threatening snow and heavy overcast skies.
I thought that folks might be interested in an example

larrycurrlymoe: not just a funny moniker, I can't dance either!

turbostrackandtour.blogspot.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work? An example.
dm1dave Administrator
04th Apr 2013
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member
06th Apr 2013
JosephK Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
          Reply message Does the 1.3 crop really work in low ight.
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Apr 2013
          Reply message RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work in low ight.
05th Apr 2013
          Reply message RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work? NOT REALLY
Kennebunk Larry Silver Member
06th Apr 2013
Omaha
06th Apr 2013
07th Apr 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 04-Apr-13 12:37 AM
11320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work? An example."
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Looks real good Larry!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Sat 06-Apr-13 09:10 PM
283 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work? An example."
In response to Reply # 1

Calgary, CA

Thanks Dave!

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 04-Apr-13 01:18 AM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work? An example."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

I am not seeing now the title of the thread goes with the contents of the post.

If the 1.3x crop worked, the original image would contain a smaller number of pixels than a normal full-size image. This is what happened, right?

Regardless, nice catch of the rabbit!

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Thu 04-Apr-13 02:06 AM
#3. "RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work? An example."
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 04-Apr-13 02:08 AM by larrycurrlymoe

Calgary, CA

I can see what you mean. These shots were taken with the camera in 1.3 Crop mode. Which would turn the 75mm into about 150mm shot (35 mm equivalent) as is shown in the EXIF data.
i thought the quality of images shot in this mode might be of interest to folks. Unfortunately I was unable to switch back to straight DX format during the series, I was busy
I am impressed that the "doubling" effect of cropping on a cropped sensor turned out this well in poor lighting, and colouring conditions.
Turbo

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 04-Apr-13 06:28 PM
3327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work? An example."
In response to Reply # 3

Dyserth, GB

I use the x1.3 crop for more distant wildlife and find it useful. However, unlike the D800 and other cameras, the non cropped area does not get grayed out and a lined box is visible instead. This caught me out a few times when I forgot that I was on crop mode and then found the subject was outside the area! Oops

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 05-Apr-13 01:37 PM
3150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Does the 1.3 crop really work in low ight."
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

I really like the 1/3 crop and the grey out area does not bother me.

Because only part of the Sensor is used, is the High ISO capability reduced?

I need to shoot horses inside a barn again next week and have not decided whether to use the crop again.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 05-Apr-13 02:19 PM
3327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work in low ight."
In response to Reply # 5

Dyserth, GB

<<I really like the 1/3 crop and the grey out area does not bother me.>>

I've got used to it now, just a small learning curve.

<<Because only part of the Sensor is used, is the High ISO capability reduced?>>

I have not witnessed any difference on ISO capabilities, but haven't really pushed the boundaries on that as light here the last 3 weeks has been excellent allowing high shutter speed at between ISO100 and 400.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Kennebunk Larry Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2003Sat 06-Apr-13 09:32 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work? NOT REALLY"
In response to Reply # 4

Westford, US

I just purchased a D7100 as an addition to my D800 for the times when I am using a telephoto to catch closeups of smaller objects, i.e., not for landscapes. I reasoned that the D7100 is giving me 24 MP while, in comparison, the D800 in DX mode is giving me 15 MP. However, I see no value to the 1.3X crop mode of the D7100 except to have smaller files. The fact is that 1.3x crop mode simply crops the DX sensor before taking the photo as opposed to cropping a DX image in post-processing with an editor. Again, other than saving space on your memory card by 'pre-cropping', it buys you nothing.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 06-Apr-13 11:01 PM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work? NOT REALLY"
In response to Reply # 9

Omaha, US

Other than facilitating more rapid shooting (quite useful for sports, wildlife, etc), you're exactly right: The 1.3 crop mode is nothing more than an optical zoom. It doesn't really increase the "reach" of lenses. It just cuts down on the amount of sensor real estate being used. You can get the exact same result by cropping full images in post.

BUT...there is still real value in increased frame rates and longer bursts before filling the buffer, not to mention the value of having smaller files to transfer/manipulate in post, so I think it does have some advantages.

Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 07-Apr-13 02:39 PM
#11. "RE: Does the 1.3 crop really work? NOT REALLY"
In response to Reply # 10

Dyserth, GB

<<It doesn't really increase the "reach" of lenses>>

Of course it doesn't, but on the D800 where the DX border is in a greyed box it's a great tool for learning to keep a bird in flight within a smaller area, also to concentrate on the subject, not the surroundings.

Richard

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26024 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.