Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26013
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100/old 80-400mm lens" Previous topic | Next topic
swanwatcher Registered since 20th Jan 2007Wed 03-Apr-13 11:00 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100/old 80-400mm lens"

Chestertown, US

Can the D7100 drive the autofocus of the older 80-400mm lens?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100/old 80-400mm lens
km6xz Moderator
04th Apr 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
FutureLook Silver Member
05th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
05th Apr 2013
swanwatcher
08th Apr 2013
Clint S Silver Member
09th Apr 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
09th Apr 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 04-Apr-13 07:44 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100/old 80-400mm lens"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Yes, fully compatible.
In fact the new SWM version 80-400 looks like a hot set up on the D7100 with the speed of focusing and the great reach for a hand holdable lens using the 1.3 crop(2.0 crop referenced to 35mm)
I suspect, despite its price, the new version will become the most popular telephoto for the D7100. 800mm field of view without a TC! in an affordable lens.
The older version is not a focusing speed demon so has not been popular with sports, birds in flight or wildlife shooters but it is a good lens optically and is a convenient size and weight.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 04-Apr-13 02:55 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100/old 80-400mm lens"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 04-Apr-13 02:58 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>Yes, fully compatible.
>In fact the new SWM version 80-400 looks like a hot set up on
>the D7100 with the speed of focusing and the great reach for a
>hand holdable lens using the 1.3 crop(2.0 crop referenced to
>35mm)
>I suspect, despite its price, the new version will become the
>most popular telephoto for the D7100. 800mm field of view
>without a TC! in an affordable lens.
>The older version is not a focusing speed demon so has not
>been popular with sports, birds in flight or wildlife shooters
>but it is a good lens optically and is a convenient size and
>weight.
>Stan

Affordable lens for whom?
The new 80-400 cost twice as much as a D7100!
However, it might be a better investment as all my Pro Glass has gone up in value.

My "old" 80-400 is still "fast/good enough" for my Sporting Events.
A mint used one is much more affordable and at this time an even better investment,
unless you have a really well paying Photography job for the new version.

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Fri 05-Apr-13 04:43 AM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100/old 80-400mm lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Miami, US

Unfortunately, your old 80-400mm will not work faster with the D7100. I bought one of the first wave and tried forever to get used to it but I missed so many shots of flying birds that I sold if for half of what I paid for. That says a lot for a lens where people don't even want to pay half of what it sells for new. Mine by the way, was in mint condition and I sold it to a fellow nikonian for $900. I don't know about the new one but they claim that it focus faster. I have an 18-300mm coupled with my D7100 and it focus very fast. Good luck with your choice!

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 05-Apr-13 05:25 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100/old 80-400mm lens"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Roger, it is affordable for those whose only other options for a quality 400 mm fast focusing bif lens is several times more expensive. From early reports the new version is as fast as other SWM recent lenses and optically better than the old version. It should not be compared to the old one in judging the price. BIF is an expensive hobby which probably is the reason more people do not engage in it seriously. Lucky for me, prefer cheap subjects like portraiture and events where a competent set of lenses on a competent body is a small fraction of a birder's entry costs.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

swanwatcher Registered since 20th Jan 2007Mon 08-Apr-13 09:36 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100/old 80-400mm lens"
In response to Reply # 4

Chestertown, US

Thanks everyone. You've been very helpful!

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Tue 09-Apr-13 05:08 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100/old 80-400mm lens"
In response to Reply # 5

Chula Vista, US

The 80-400 is better on the D7100 than older consumer DSLR cameras but no speed demon.

I try to keep my focus somewhere close to the same distance where my final focus point is expected or try an lock focus as earlier as possible and stay with the subject. By keeping the focusing distance as close to the same distance as possible, the lens does not have to move very far to lock focus. When locked on and following the subject I've found it helpful to quickly release focus and refocus very quickly, a double tap if you may, and I get more keepers.

As with all things in photography, the more experience you gain with it, the better you'll get.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 09-Apr-13 01:57 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100/old 80-400mm lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

Quote Clint>The 80-400 is better on the D7100 than older consumer DSLR
>cameras but no speed demon.
>
>I try to keep my focus somewhere close to the same distance
>where my final focus point is expected or try an lock focus as
>earlier as possible and stay with the subject. By keeping the
>focusing distance as close to the same distance as possible,
>the lens does not have to move very far to lock focus. When
>locked on and following the subject I've found it helpful to
>quickly release focus and refocus very quickly, a double tap
>if you may, and I get more keepers.
>
>As with all things in photography, the more experience you
>gain with it, the better you'll get.<Quote<<<
>

I use AF-C and the AF-On (AEL/AFL) button.
That plus pre focusing make the "old" 80-400 fast enough for pretty much anything that comes in my viewfinder.
Of course we always want more, but the price will have to drop considerably before I can afford a mint used AF-S 80-400.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26013 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.