Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25998
View in linear mode

Subject: "Moire and D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002Wed 03-Apr-13 04:19 PM
435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Moire and D7100"

Mumbai, IN

Has anyone experienced moire with the D7100? Since there is no OLPF, the chances of moire could increase but I was unable to produce moire even though I tried to create it by photographing fabric with very fine lines. Surprisingly, my D7000 does produce moire!

Would certainly like to know the opinions and experiences of Nikonians in this regard.

Rohinton

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Moire and D7100
elec164 Silver Member
03rd Apr 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
Kjdnikon Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
six34sigma Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
FutureLook Silver Member
05th Apr 2013

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 03-Apr-13 05:27 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Moire and D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think with the high pixel density of the D7100, you will most likely only see Moire at wide apertures.

The D7100 has a pixel pitch of about 3.9 microns. The diffraction spot size of green light at f/4 is about 5.2 microns. So at that point I would think that diffraction is sort of acting as the AA filter. So you would most likely only see Moire when shooting with lenses at f/2.8 or faster.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 04-Apr-13 06:32 PM
3314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Moire and D7100"
In response to Reply # 1

Dyserth, GB

Nope, no experience of moire and I was sort of expecting it in the feather details of birds. Instead I am finding I am rarely having to sharpen an image due to the removal of the AA filter.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Thu 04-Apr-13 06:49 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Moire and D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Batavia, US

I have experienced a lot more....

more picture quality
more keepers
more pics achieving focus
etc etc etc

six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Thu 04-Apr-13 06:53 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Moire and D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Cumming, US

With very limited experience on my D7100 I have seen no Moire, perhaps 100 shots so far, so very, very limited. Today I hope to increase that count by several times over. Also in prowling around and looking at D7100 pictures I have seen next to nothing, perhaps one picture. Birders seem to be attracted to this camera and there are a plethora of bird shots out there, one would expect to see something in their feathers but they seem to be clean shots.

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 04-Apr-13 07:52 PM
3314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Moire and D7100"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 04-Apr-13 07:52 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

<<Birders seem to be attracted to this camera and there are a plethora of bird shots out there, one would expect to see something in their feathers but they seem to be clean shots.>>

Yep, I have taken 600 shots nearly all of birds in just over a week with different lenses. The annoying thing is that if I'd know the difference the removal of the AA filter made to sharpness before I bought the D7100 and before I bought my D800, I'd have bought the D800E.

I am running out of expletives to describe how I feel about the D7100, but today's is "fabutastical"

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Fri 05-Apr-13 04:25 AM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Moire and D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Miami, US

Just came back from Costa Rica with a lot of bird pics. Approximately 3000 without a sign of moire so far. Extremely happy with this camera's performance. Took my D7000 as a back up since I just had a week to play with the D7100 before I departed and it never left the camera bag.

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25998 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.