Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25953
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yippee! D7100 in hand!" Previous topic | Next topic
DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 02-Apr-13 08:48 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yippee! D7100 in hand!"

Geneva, US

Got my D7100 body today, charged the battery, and just went through the camera set-up ritual. I like the ergonomics (since I'm coming from a D90 that's probably no surprise). I was one of those who was dithering about the choice between the D7000 upgrade and the mythical D400, but the D7100 answers all of my needs (I'm not a BIF or sports shooter, so I have little need for fast and long bursts). It has the best DX sensor available, U1 and U2 banks for presets, 5-shot bracketing for HDR (no more clumsy work-arounds for the D90's 3-shot brackets), mirror lock-up for tripod work, a big upgrade in low light capability over the D90 -- what's not to like? Hard to believe this much camera can be had for $1200 US.

I need to get out over the next few days and take some test shots with various lenses. I've been extremely impressed with the early examples posted here by others. (As an aside, I hope Apple releases a RAW converter upgrade for Aperture soon -- I'd like to avoid messing, even transiently, with ViewNX2.)

Anyway, I'm happy to be among the new D7100 users -- I'll bid a fond farewell to the D90 forum, which has served me well for almost 3 years, and pitch my tent here.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yippee! D7100 in hand!
richardd300 Silver Member
02nd Apr 2013
cockers Silver Member
03rd Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
03rd Apr 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
03rd Apr 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
03rd Apr 2013
MrDarkness
16th Dec 2013

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 02-Apr-13 09:55 PM
3293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yippee! D7100 in hand!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dyserth, GB

Welcome. I have nothing than praise for my D7100 which I've had for a week.

Enjoy.

Richard.

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 03-Apr-13 03:29 PM
4195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yippee! D7100 in hand!"
In response to Reply # 1

Plover, US

I'll echo Richards welcome!
You're going to love this camera!

Al

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 03-Apr-13 05:44 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yippee! D7100 in hand!"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Welcome to the 7xxx side. We will be eager to hear of your other observations. I still think the D90 is the most balanced camera Nikon has produced compared to their competitors at the time of release.It does everything well, is easy for non-techies and non-photographers to get very good results, was very well sorted out with no QC or service/software issues and lead its class for several years. So don't abandon the D90 forum, there is a lot of newcomers who benefit from experienced users.

The tradition of cat first images seems to have been bucked this time, I have not seen any. When the D90, 7000, 800 and 600 were released, that was the mainstay of first images with the new camera were cats. I do not even own a cat....so I can't get a new camera...
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 03-Apr-13 09:19 PM
3293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Yippee! D7100 in hand!"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 03-Apr-13 09:21 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Stan, will birds instead of cats do? I've posted at least 7 images on other threads and for my part the camera is superb. I am as excited about the D7100 as I was with my D800. I particularly like the absence of the AA filters as I'm not needing to sharpen much or if at all and when I do it's minimal. Here are a few images taken today and one taken on day 1 a week ago to demonstrate sharpness. This, to me is everything my D7000 wasn't, but of course that's just me

Richard

D7100 + 300mm f4 - 1/640@f6.5 - ISO400 - EV = -0.3

D7100 + 300mm f4 - 1/320@f9 - ISO400 - EV = -0.3

D7100 + 300mm f4 - 1/2000@f4.5 - ISO400 - EV = -0.3

D7100 + 300mm f4 - 1/1250@f4.5 - ISO400 - EV = 0

D7100 + 24-70mm f2.8 - 1/250@f8 - ISO100 - EV = -0.3

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 03-Apr-13 11:33 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Yippee! D7100 in hand!"
In response to Reply # 3

Geneva, US

Stan,

Thank you for the kind words of welcome! I will not completely abandon the D90 forum -- my wife still shoots a D90, and my D90 will be the backup for both of us. I agree that the D90 remains an excellent and highly capable camera. I think it was a real ground-breaker for Nikon, and I expect it to be widely used for another several years. My move to the D7100 would not have occurred so soon except that we are going to Iceland in a few months (a Tony Sweet workshop organized by Focus on Nature) and I was unwilling to commit so much $$ for a photographic trip without having a body that could serve as an emergency backup for both of us. (Also, it make a convenient excuse to let my NAS get the better of me!)

You -- and many others -- were of great help to me when I was first learning the my way around the D90 a couple of years ago, and if I can return the favor to those who are newcomers to the D90 now I certainly will.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

MrDarkness Registered since 04th Dec 2013Mon 16-Dec-13 04:25 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Yippee! D7100 in hand!"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I know your joy well, as the dopamine surge I got out of taking a new D7100 body out of the box hasn't entirely worn off even yet.

But then, I actually wrapped it back up a couple of times just so I could open it up all over again, and again...

Enjoy!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25953 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.