Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25943
View in linear mode

Subject: "Split focus view finder" Previous topic | Next topic
pittendrigh Registered since 20th Sep 2011Tue 02-Apr-13 02:23 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Split focus view finder"
Tue 02-Apr-13 02:25 PM by pittendrigh

Bozeman, US

I have a year old D7000
I installed a 3rd party view finder ..... prism? .... when I bought the camera. I can't remember the brand name. It has been brighter and a tad easier to manual focus than the original. But the difference is not much.

1000 years ago I had a split screen view finder on my ancient and totally manual Nikon F. Manual focus was easy. Even though I have relatively poor eyesight, I would twist the focus ring until two split edges of the subject came together. Then I knew I had razor sharp focus.

D7000 automatic focus (even in spot mode) is troublesome. I like to use a 400mm lens up close. That gets a bit like macro, where you have very little depth of field. The autofocus on birds is always sharp as pistol on the bird's leading shoulder, and a bit blurry on the eye. You can use AP mode on a smaller aperture. But what you really want is razor sharp focus on the bird's eyeball. No matter what.

I'd give up on autofocus. But I'm 63 and my eyesight is sliding downhill fast. Is there a 3rd party product? Any way to make my D7000 have a split screen manual focus?

Or do I need to buy new camera?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Split focus view finder
Kjdnikon Silver Member
02nd Apr 2013
pittendrigh
02nd Apr 2013
agitater Gold Member
03rd Apr 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
03rd Apr 2013
Snapshott Silver Member
03rd Apr 2013
pittendrigh
03rd Apr 2013

Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Tue 02-Apr-13 02:50 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Split focus view finder"
In response to Reply # 0

Batavia, US

Katzeye appears to be the one to get.

pittendrigh Registered since 20th Sep 2011Tue 02-Apr-13 02:54 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Split focus view finder"
In response to Reply # 1

Bozeman, US

>Katzeye appears to be the one to get.

I have the Katzeye. It is a bit easier to use than the stock Nikon view finder. But the difference is subtle. The spit image in the middle of the view finder is small and hard to track.

My old Nikon F was far easier to use.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 03-Apr-13 01:58 AM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Split focus view finder"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 03-Apr-13 01:58 AM by agitater

Toronto, CA

There's one other on the market here:

http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=22_116

. . . but the split is no larger than the one in the KatzEye focusing screen. Maybe it's also time for a stronger diopter eyepiece for your viewfinder?

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 03-Apr-13 01:19 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Split focus view finder"
In response to Reply # 0

US

KatzEye for me, and I love it.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Wed 03-Apr-13 01:30 PM
396 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Split focus view finder"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

>D7000 automatic focus (even in spot mode) is troublesome. I
>like to use a 400mm lens up close. That gets a bit like
>macro, where you have very little depth of field. The
>autofocus on birds is always sharp as pistol on the bird's
>leading shoulder, and a bit blurry on the eye. You can use AP
>mode on a smaller aperture. But what you really want is razor
>sharp focus on the bird's eyeball. No matter what.

If you are getting sharp focus on the shoulder but not the eye it would seem your focus point is off. Are you placing you focus point/slit prism on the eye of the bird or somewhere else?

pittendrigh Registered since 20th Sep 2011Wed 03-Apr-13 01:53 PM
#6. "RE: Split focus view finder"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 03-Apr-13 02:14 PM by pittendrigh

Bozeman, US

RE> "If you are getting sharp focus on the shoulder but not the eye it would seem your focus point is off. Are you placing you focus point/slit prism on the eye of the bird or somewhere else?"

OK. I'm an aging amateur, still learning how to use my new camera. I need to figure out what focus lock is and use that I guess. Birds up at maximum close, right at the nearness limit of 400mm only give you about one second to shoot at best. And then they're gone. So focus, lock, recompose, press shutter is......what separates professionals from duffers I guess.

I do a lot of studio work with captured but still alive insects, and with macro closeups with fishing flies. Lazer sharp focus makes all the difference. It's easy in the studio. Difficult in the field.

One of the best all-around bird photographers I've run into on the net is a Texas birder named Dan Pancamo. He has hundreds of lazer sharp field closeups. Not backlighted is important too. I think in that regard you have to train yourself to not even look for birds when the lighting is behind the subject.....and to work late or early, when the lighting is not prohibitively harsh.

I like the stronger diopter idea mentioned in another post too.
Thank you all for responding.

Here's an example of one of my almost but not quite photos:
http://montana-riverboats.com/fragments/Birds/Costa-Rica/Hummer-flash.jpg

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25943 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.