Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25923
View in linear mode

Subject: "AF Fine Tuning" Previous topic | Next topic
TomNJ Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Mon 01-Apr-13 10:05 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AF Fine Tuning"

Parlin, US

I would like to try fine tuning the focus for a specific lens, but the manual for my D7100 does not give a procedure. I assume I would need to use a tripod with a fast shutter speed and a shutter delay to minimize vibrations while doing this. Then take a picture for each of the fine tune settings (from -20 to +20, 41 pictures total) to see which give the sharpest focus. Is this correct? Does the subject distance matter, i.e. fine tune on a subject at the distance I am most likely to shoot with this lens?

Thanks!

TomNJ

Please visit my Nikonian Gallery

Victorian Watercolors

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Tue 02-Apr-13 02:07 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AF Fine Tuning"
In response to Reply # 0

US

There are a few ways to fine tune your lens/camera...

One of the more popular ways is the 'DotTune' method..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM

I'm a big fan of this $30 software package..
http://michaeltapesdesign.com/focustune.html

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Wed 03-Apr-13 12:57 AM
504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AF Fine Tuning"
In response to Reply # 1

walkertown, US

>There are a few ways to fine tune your lens/camera...
>
>One of the more popular ways is the 'DotTune' method..
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM
>
>I'm a big fan of this $30 software package..
>http://michaeltapesdesign.com/focustune.html
>

thanks for the dottune link.I'm going to give that a try, Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TomNJ Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Thu 04-Apr-13 04:45 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AF Fine Tuning"
In response to Reply # 1

Parlin, US

Thanks Brian! I gave the DotTune method a try and it worked well.

TomNJ

Please visit my Nikonian Gallery

Victorian Watercolors

bhpr Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2009Thu 04-Apr-13 09:49 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AF Fine Tuning"
In response to Reply # 3

Baltimore, US

I had the same question and checked out the dot tune method. I think it worked well. Will be checking pics this weekend. Thanks for providing the link

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.