Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25898
View in linear mode

Subject: "Virtual Horizon Fn Button" Previous topic | Next topic
jerryray Silver Member Charter MemberMon 01-Apr-13 03:03 AM
319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Virtual Horizon Fn Button"

NYC, US

Has anyone set the function button to virtual horizon?
Does not do anything for me?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Virtual Horizon Fn Button
four eighty sparky Silver Member
01st Apr 2013
jerryray Silver Member
01st Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
01st Apr 2013
BrianNK
02nd Apr 2013
J_Harris Silver Member
02nd Apr 2013
pimadude Silver Member
03rd Apr 2013

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 01-Apr-13 03:23 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Virtual Horizon Fn Button"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It only works in the viewfinder, not on the monitor.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

jerryray Silver Member Charter MemberMon 01-Apr-13 03:37 AM
319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Virtual Horizon Fn Button"
In response to Reply # 1

NYC, US

Got it, was dark and did not notice this.
Thanks

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 01-Apr-13 05:05 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Virtual Horizon Fn Button"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

Those buttons that can be configured are truly valuable real estate. You can set the 3 buttons up by hitting the INFO button on the camera back twice. This gives you a menu.

But you would rarely need to configure Virtual Horizon that fast. Why not save the button and make Virtual Horizon one of the options on MY MENU? You can navigate there pretty quick and get Virtual Horizon working. Or, you can set it and leave it on all the time.

I have GRID set most of the time and don't worry about it.

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Tue 02-Apr-13 02:12 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Virtual Horizon Fn Button"
In response to Reply # 3

US

On the D7000 i wasn't a big fan of the Virtual Horizon in the view finder. If i remember correctly you'd have to configure the FN button to turn it on... then you'd have to press-and-hold the FN button and the exposure info in the viewfinder would be replaced with the 'virtual horizon'.

On the D7100 it works WAY better... Press the FN button (or whatever button you have configured) and the Vert. Horizon stays on the screen until you turn it off. Its also been moved off the exposure area and onto the actual display.

Still doesn't make my horizons straight during high action shots.. but at least i cant blame the camera now

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Tue 02-Apr-13 07:01 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Virtual Horizon Fn Button"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 02-Apr-13 07:03 PM by J_Harris

US

>Has anyone set the function button to virtual horizon?
>Does not do anything for me?

Hi Jerry,

If you are using the viewfinder for framing and want a quick, simple, and efficient method for "horizontal leveling" the "Viewfinder Virtual Horizon" (page 231 in the D7000 manual) is nice. I always use it with my D7000 and tripod/ball head because the leveling bubble is hard to see when the camera is at a standing eye height and also many times while hand holding too.

I have assigned the "Horizontal Virtual Horizon" to my depth-of-field button (page 230 in the D7000 manual) and it works great. Press and release the DOF button, horizontally level the camera while framing the picture through the viewfinder, press and release the DOF button again (it disappears) and your done.

Jerry

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Wed 03-Apr-13 06:44 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Virtual Horizon Fn Button"
In response to Reply # 5

Tucson, US

I'm using my "Depth of Field" button the same way. I've also set the Fn button to access the top item of "My Menu".

The ability to select from a number of options to set the function of these buttons is really a very nice feature of the D7000.

Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25898 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.