Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25852
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Complaints" Previous topic | Next topic
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Sat 30-Mar-13 01:02 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Complaints"
Sat 30-Mar-13 11:35 PM by William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR

I have read many of the complaints about Nikon service after sale, notably with respect to oil splattering on the D7000. I would like to relate what I consider to be a positive experience. I bought my D7000 body in December 2010. I used it for two years with no real problems, but never checked the dust/oil spots issue, using the camera primarily in single shot mode for general photography and never noticing anything serious. Every 6 months or so I would go to the Espace Nikon shop in Paris and have the sensors on my various Nikons checked and then cleaned if necessary, which they always did on the spot for no charge, in time to have a coffee next door and come back and pick it up.

In January 2013 I went on a safari in Burkina Faso and used the CH (continuous high) shooting rate on some wildlife photos. When I got home and started to post-process I noticed the spots all over the right side of the photos. I went back to Espace Nikon, told them of my experience and they sent it to the repair facility. A thorough service center check-up and cleaning was done at no charge. When I got the camera back I immediately put it through its paces at continuous high and the spots came back. I immediately went back to Espace Nikon and went through the same process a second time. When I got it back, same problem. So, I went back a third time. There are only two staff members at the desk at this center, and they have seen me regularly over the years (I had the AF motor on my 300mm AFS f/4 repaired at my cost) and they listened.

So, the body was sent in a 3rd time and I just got the repair estimate in the mail today. I'm way beyond the warranty period of course. The estimate was "no charge" to change the mirror drive unit. For all three of the service center check-ups I was never charged any return shipping to my doorstep.

Moral of the story, I was polite but insistent, and even though I am beyond the warranty coverage period this work and parts replacement is being done at no charge to me. Dealing with Nikon is not always a nightmare. I know that some of you would say that they should have replaced it long ago, but the fact is I never brought it to their attention until after the expiration of the warranty period and they still opted to make the repair at no charge. I may be jumping the gun since the camera isn't back yet, but at least so far they have not charged me a dime and I'm not a professional photographer, just a guy who walks in off the street.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 30-Mar-13 05:39 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Complaints"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

My impression is the same. Dealing with the Hollywood, California Nikon service center.

My first dealings with the Nikon company were in 1968. In Tokyo. I was always treated well, and with the highest level of professionalism.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25852 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.