Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25846
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Testing Regimen?" Previous topic | Next topic
Chomper Registered since 29th Mar 2013Sat 30-Mar-13 02:32 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Testing Regimen?"
Sun 31-Mar-13 05:17 AM by Chomper

US

Hello all!

Been enjoying all the talk about the D7100. I'm expecting mine this coming week and can't wait!

My question is, does anyone have a suggested testing regimen?

I ask cos' I've seen a lot of talk about the left focus points not working correctly and etc.

So I was wondering what others were doing to test their D7100's?

Thanks all!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?
JPJ Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
Chomper
30th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
Chomper
30th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
jamtins Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
Chomper
30th Mar 2013
Snappo Silver Member
31st Mar 2013
Chomper
31st Mar 2013
Omaha
01st Apr 2013
Toyse_Woody
31st Mar 2013
Chomper
31st Mar 2013
FutureLook Silver Member
31st Mar 2013
Chomper
01st Apr 2013
FutureLook Silver Member
01st Apr 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
01st Apr 2013

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 30-Mar-13 02:56 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

As far as I am aware no one here has reported this issue. I suspect DPReview has a bunch of people whining about it - but that chatter is no barometer for reality.

If one feels compelled to test this I would just use one of the protocols used to test the d800 for this issue. Here is one:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/07/03/how-to-tell-if-your-d800-d800e-d4-has-the-left-focusing-problem/

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Chomper Registered since 29th Mar 2013Sat 30-Mar-13 03:25 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Jason, thanks for the reply.

The website link you listed looks great.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 30-Mar-13 05:07 PM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

"I ask cos' I've seen a lot of talk about the left focus points not working correctly and etc."

Really? Left focus points? I found a DPReview thread started by one person with methodology that is just funny.

There are some other scattered threads almost desperately hunting to find issues. Whether the people starting these threads actually own the equipment (let alone can take pictures worth seeing in or out of focus) is totally unknown.

What I'm seeing much more broadly says the AF is dead on accurate and very fast, the colors are accurate, the resolution is incredible, and that the D7100 is clearly the best DX available.

Good photographers usually focus on testing and refining their own skill -- capturing images people want to look at, with almost anything they have in their hands.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Chomper Registered since 29th Mar 2013Sat 30-Mar-13 05:17 PM
#4. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks Bill for your reply.

Yes, I've seen other places talking about this. I didn't mean to blow this out of proportion.

I was merely asking what others have done to test their own cameras to make sure they don't end up with a lemon.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 30-Mar-13 06:10 PM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 30-Mar-13 06:21 PM by billD80

US

>I was merely asking what others have done to test their own
>cameras to make sure they don't end up with a lemon.

ANY piece of technology made by any means can result in problematic samples, for sure.

Here's the regimen. Just shoot pictures.

Just for the heck of it, I shot left sensor images on my D7100, under very tight tolerances, and found the results just as accurate as dead-center (dead-on).

Yes, there were some D800's that apparently had some left sensor mis-calibration... The D7100, to my knowledge, isn't assembled where the D800 is, so the thread introducing that as an issue doesn't make logical sense.

If problems were to arise, one would expect the D7100 to have its own type, not one germane to a small batch of a totally different model coming from a different factory.

The other aspect is that most people aren't qualified to be testers. They lack the skill, knowledge and equipment...

But they certainly can post their "findings"... if not many quality images.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Sat 30-Mar-13 06:37 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 5

Portsmouth, US

Wow, you do not even have the camera yet and your grabbing at straws trying to find fault with it. Why not just be excited with your new camera and go out make some outstanding images with it.

Bob

jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Sat 30-Mar-13 09:23 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 5

Meadow Heights, AU

I;ve been taking pictures with the D7100 since I got it about a week or so ago.
I was pretty critical of the D7000 ability to focus accurately, but, the D7100 blows all that apprehension away.

After two field trips birds in flight and perching birds, I am very well pleased with the focus on my 500mm, and 300mm lenses.
Images are sharp, the focus point is where the focus is.
I've seen no evidence of a left hand softness, and with at 1.4 and 1.7TC, the focus is as good as it gets.

All in all after a week of work with the camera, I'm able to say I'd be struggling to find something that isn't working as I expected.

With no dust spots, oil spots, focus problems, and the like, I think I should be sending it back to Nikon to have them installed, so I can have something to complain about. <gggg>

Good work Nikon, you've really made this a great camera

DJ

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

Chomper Registered since 29th Mar 2013Sat 30-Mar-13 09:46 PM
#8. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

ahaha, thanks DJ.

Glad to hear you've had no problems with the D7100!

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Sun 31-Mar-13 04:33 AM
247 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 8

Tulsa, US

Ken, D7100 is the best of five Digital Nikons I have owned.

Oh yes, might lend to your credability if you were to fill out your profile.

an old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

Chomper Registered since 29th Mar 2013Sun 31-Mar-13 04:41 AM
#10. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun 31-Mar-13 04:46 AM by Chomper

US

Jim, thanks for the reply.

Filled out my profile as you suggested.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 01-Apr-13 04:42 PM
463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 5

Omaha, US

>Here's the regimen. Just shoot pictures.

^^^^^
THIS!

Unless and until you experience some consistent issue with real-world photographs, how could you devise a test?

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Toyse_Woody Registered since 20th Feb 2013Sun 31-Mar-13 11:14 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Worth, US

The only Problems I have had all have been self induced .
Next Weekend (April 5-7) I will use it as my main camera for race I will covering.

Chomper Registered since 29th Mar 2013Sun 31-Mar-13 08:10 PM
#12. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thanks for the reply Toyse.

Look forward to hearing what your experience was and of course, some good photos. =D

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Sun 31-Mar-13 09:05 PM
486 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 0

Miami, US

I am presently in Costa Rica since Monday shooting birds and other wildlife with my D7100 that I purchased the previous week to my departure. Took my D7000 as a backup just in case and it hasn't left my bag. I have more than 3,000 shots already and I am very happy so far with the result. Shooting raw and converting to tiff using View NX2 then using CS5 with minor retouch in some of them in the field.
When I purchased my D800 there were all kind of negative comments especially with focusing. Well... I never had any problems with it. My comments with the new D7100. Awesome, I love it.

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

Chomper Registered since 29th Mar 2013Mon 01-Apr-13 01:48 PM
#14. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Future, hope ur still having a good time in Costa Rica!

Thanks for the heads up about the D7100. Glad to hear yours came out perfect or as much as it can be. =D

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Mon 01-Apr-13 03:51 PM
486 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 14

Miami, US

Hello Ken,

Heading back home with a good number of pics taken with the D7100. Great performance and accuracy demonstrated in low light conditions. Also fast and accurate focus makes life easier especially when shooting wildlife under adverse conditions.

Thanks for your wishes. They are greatly appreciated!

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 01-Apr-13 07:30 PM
3104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7100 Testing Regimen?"
In response to Reply # 15

Dyserth, GB

I've taken 500+ images, mostly wildlife, in 6 days. As I've said repeatedly elsewhere on here, I believe the the D7100 is the best DX I've owned (D80,D90,D300) and it falls in line with my D800 in terms of image quality and even exceeds it in many cases. As my D800 has now become my Landscape, portrait camera and has been stood down as my principal wildlife camera, I wish I'd bought the D800E.

This is now my D400 as it gives me a around 90% of what I could want from that camera if it ever arrives. Like my D800 is worked "straight out of the box", that alone increases the feel good factor

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25846 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.