Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25837
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help me spend some money" Previous topic | Next topic
mickeyb48 Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2012Fri 29-Mar-13 07:42 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help me spend some money"

Dacula, US

Not sure whee to put this topic, so here you go. My wife will be retiring soon, and will have limited fun money. I've been thinking about buying a full frame. After the reports I'm reading around here, not real sure about that 600. I currently have a 7000 with a 18-105, 55-300, 24-70 f2.8, and a 70-200f4 lens and battery pack. I have around 1500.00 I can afford.

I found a refurb. 600 on KEH

Thinking about that new 7100 with all the reports that have been good so maybe stay DX.

Adding a new lens to the collection (16-24f4 or 300f4) I like to do landscapes and wildlife.

I like the specs on the D800, but way too much now since this is a hobby and passion.

So any thoughts I can fudge a little on the final cost.

Thanks

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help me spend some money
billD80 Silver Member
29th Mar 2013
DerekTV85
29th Mar 2013
mickeyb48 Gold Member
29th Mar 2013
DerekTV85
30th Mar 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
29th Mar 2013
Snappo Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
km6xz Moderator
01st Apr 2013

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 29-Mar-13 08:53 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help me spend some money"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Why not just stay with the D7000, and get great glass?

Why did you want FX in the first place?

The D7100 is great, but if you're not sure if you need one, you probably don't.

Just stay with the D7000 and look for a primo lens that will take you preferred subject shots to the next level.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

DerekTV85 Registered since 12th Feb 2012Fri 29-Mar-13 10:31 PM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help me spend some money"
In response to Reply # 1

Salt Lake City, US

I'm with Bill. I'd stay with the D7k and the only lens i see your missing is an ultra wide. Whats your thoughts on switching to FX? Thats the only wildcard.

The upgrade from 7000 to the 7100 just don't seem to be enough to upgrade unless you absolutely need the new AF and some more pixels.

Myself personally could use better af and pixels for what i like to shoot but its not enough to justify a single generational upgrade. And believe me i fight off the NAS for the 7100 every day. So I'll quell it with a nice lens maybe 105 macro or 300mm f4.

mickeyb48 Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2012Fri 29-Mar-13 11:44 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help me spend some money"
In response to Reply # 2

Dacula, US

Thanks for the input. I went with the 7K last year because it was in the budget and just started acquiring some nicer glass this year. I do love the 7k body, and get some great pics from it.

mike

DerekTV85 Registered since 12th Feb 2012Sat 30-Mar-13 12:09 AM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Help me spend some money"
In response to Reply # 4

Salt Lake City, US

Why were you thinking of switching to FX?

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 29-Mar-13 11:41 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help me spend some money"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

The 7000 is a real good body and if it satisfies your "needs" I'd suggest staying with it and investing in a lens that will allow you to do what you like. I believe you'll need a minimum of 300mm with a tc for wildlife unless you meant $5,100 instead of $1,500 . Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Sat 30-Mar-13 01:47 AM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help me spend some money"
In response to Reply # 3

Tulsa, US

I picked up a 300mm f4.0 and the TC1.4 & 1.7 for my D7100 to use for birding. I also have the D600 and good glass is a real budget buster.

an old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 01-Apr-13 07:18 AM
3297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Help me spend some money"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

What are your photographic interests and what limits to reaching your goals are you running into with the D7000?
I would suggest determining which of those limits are really going to change with a different body. Do you have all the accessories the aid your goals, since you already have some good lenses. For example if you like portraiture, lighting is more important than lenses or bodies. Landscape benefits from serious tripods more than the latest high ISO super focusing bodies.
A workshop on your specialty would generate more difference in your results than just about any other investment.
I am suggesting these points with a limited budget in mind. If there was no limit, sure, get everything you fancy. Having all you want however can reduce your active participation in the hobby. Many of us get the most from solving problems and accomplishing creative solutions.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25837 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.