Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25830
View in linear mode

Subject: "3rd party battery grip for D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Fri 29-Mar-13 03:11 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"3rd party battery grip for D7100"

Batavia, US

From past experience,,, how long before 3rd party grips become available?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100
RRRoger Silver Member
31st Mar 2013
Reply message 3rd party battery grip for D7100... "XTNG7100"
BigBen636
18th Jul 2013
PCassidy Gold Member
18th Jul 2013
BigBen636
18th Jul 2013
PCassidy Gold Member
18th Jul 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
18th Jul 2013
BigBen636
18th Jul 2013
18th Jul 2013
JSchur Silver Member
18th Jul 2013
18th Jul 2013
JSchur Silver Member
18th Jul 2013
BigBen636
18th Jul 2013
BigBen636
19th Jul 2013

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 31-Mar-13 03:35 AM
3085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

Very hard to say, but because the D7100 is expected to be a high volume camera, it should not be too long.

What I do not see, but keep expecting is for third party manufactures to come out with
is one that has additional functionality such as LCD, builtin WiFi, GPS, etc.

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Thu 18-Jul-13 12:17 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. " 3rd party battery grip for D7100... "XTNG7100""
In response to Reply # 1

IL

Recently bought the "Multi-Power Batter pack "XTNG7100" from B&H for $67 w/o tax.
My thoughts about this product.
Just for background I bought the Nikon D200 several months after it's release with a Nikon original battery grip. Several years ago the battery grip malfunctioned and continued w/o it.

"XTNG7100"
Pro: general impression it is fairly well built. It adds a nice solid feel to the camera.
Con: was surprised to see that only one battery was placed in the grip, while continuing to use the first battery inside the camera. So when wanting to recharge both batteries the first is removed from the grip and then the entire grip has to be removed to get to the battery inside the camera. Unlike the D200's grip where both batteries were easily accessible. It's not a big deal but just feels awkward.
Ben

PCassidy Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2011Thu 18-Jul-13 01:18 PM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

If you check Amazon.com they have grips for the 7100 from about four manufacturers.

Of course they also have the Nikon model as well. I'm a bit hesitant to purchase an OEM model because if something happens Nikon may not recognize the camera for repair. As you know the grips are wired to perform certain task so one needs to ask what sort of quality assurance the makers produce their respective products with.

Paul

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Einstein
------------------------------------------------------>
Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5 & F100
Nikon D300 D7100

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Thu 18-Jul-13 02:25 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 3

IL

Paul,
Understand your concern.

I have been buying photo equipment from B&H for about 13 years now. The few times there was a problem their customers service responded quickly and efficiently Their in house sales staff give professional and patient advice. To date this 3rd party battery grip for D7100 was the only one carried by B&H. So I assume they checked the quality and it was not an item that is overpriced like Nikon's battery grip.
Though I have not used it extensively, it seems well built, but just disappointed that I have to completely remove the grip to get to second battery. When I had the original D200 grip, access to the two batteries was convenient.
Overall, not major problem.
Ben

PCassidy Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2011Thu 18-Jul-13 03:41 PM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 4

Gainesville, US

Hi Ben, I like B&H a lot they are the folks I purchased my 7100 from last month and as you said they more than likely check out their products carefully before stocking. I know the Nikon grip is costly so I'm going to wait awhile before I purchase any grip. My other cameras have Nikon grips on them and I have never worried about using them.

Amazon has a handful of models available at several different prices so it becomes a bit confusing to make a good choice.

Cheers

Paul

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Einstein
------------------------------------------------------>
Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5 & F100
Nikon D300 D7100

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 18-Jul-13 04:02 PM
3073 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 5

Dyserth, GB

I recently bought the "Pixel" grip instead the OEM. I've got to say I can find almost no difference in quality when compared to my D800 Nikon OEM MB-D12, apart from the price of course

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Thu 18-Jul-13 04:10 PM
#7. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 6

IL

Does it contain one battery or hold two ????
Ben

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 18-Jul-13 04:19 PM
3073 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 18-Jul-13 04:21 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

It's identical to Nikon's MB-D15. It has a tray for one EN-EL15 and a tray for 6 AA batteries. I don't know of any grip for the D7100 that holds two EN-EL15 batteries original or otherwise.

see:http://www.amazon.com/Pixel-Vertax-Battery-Replace-MB-D15/dp/B00CQ838VM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374164651&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+grip+nikon+d7100

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

JSchur Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2004Thu 18-Jul-13 07:53 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 9

Munhall, US

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since you mention the fact that the MB-D15 holds one battery, I'll chime in. When I bought my D7100 I also ordered the battery pack/grip and extra batteries. I was surprised and disappointed to find that the grip only holds one battery. Unlike my old D100, where both batteries go in the grip and none in the body, with the D7100/MB-D15 combo—where one battery goes in the grip and one in the body—it is necessary to remove the grip to change the battery in the body. A step backwards, if you ask me.

Regards,

John

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 18-Jul-13 09:19 PM
#11. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 10

Dyserth, GB

Yes, I agree, but it's nothing new. To my knowledge no camera since the D200/D80 have had a grip that takes two batteries. That is around 8 years ago.

This surely can't be a problem, at least it isn't for most folks. The cameras can be set to drain the grip battery first and the on-camera battery second. Alternatively, use 6 AA's in the grip and a EN-EL15 in the body to extend battery life. With some cameras, the D800 for example, a higher capacity battery can be fitted. However, each EN-EL15 battery is capable of at least 600 images and surely that's enough for most users between charges. Don't forget the last cameras D200/D80 to use a double grip battery combination still only had the availability of two batteries and the cameras drained batteries far faster than the modern batteries.

Richard

JSchur Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2004Thu 18-Jul-13 09:28 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 11

Munhall, US

Richard: You're right;it's really not a problem... at least as far as total battery life. I do have it configured so that the grip battery is used first then the in-camera battery. I just think the D100's way of doing things makes more sense. Both batteries act as one and they can both be replaced without having to remove the grip.

John

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Thu 18-Jul-13 04:16 PM
#8. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 5

IL

Hi Paul,
Would suggest you make sure it holds both batteries and see if you can read reviews on the internet.
Ben

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Fri 19-Jul-13 04:13 AM
#13. "RE: 3rd party battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 8

IL

Sorry, I was under the impression other battery grips had the same configuration as the battery grip on the D200 which was simple and convenient. Don’t know they came up with battery layout. With the D200 battery grip it was easy to remove both for recharging.
Under these circumstances the "XTNG7100" seems like a good buy. Now only time will tell.
Ben

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25830 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.