Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2578
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Shutter Speed" Previous topic | Next topic
aef Registered since 30th Nov 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 11:09 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Shutter Speed"

CA

Hi everyone,

I used to own a D60 and recently upgraded to a D7000. I returned my first one because it had focusing issues and made a funny noise when I was playing back photos (like it was trying to focus). This second one seems better with regards to focusing. I borrowed a D90 from a friend and took the same pictures (both cameras 'reset' using the green buttons) using the same lens, same aperture (f1.4), same ISO (200 outdoors - 1250 indoors) within a minute or two of each other and the D7000 has a consistently slower shutter speed. Why would that be? Outdoors D90=1/500, D7000=1/320, indoors D90=1/125, D7000=1/100. A big reason for buying the camera was for it's low light capabilities (I do realize it goes to a higher ISO etc., just wondering in general why the shutter speed would be slower)? I'm not sure how to post examples or I would. Thanks for reading!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Shutter Speed
wwt67 Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
blw Moderator
01st Dec 2010
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
glennaa11 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
02nd Dec 2010
aef
02nd Dec 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
03rd Dec 2010
jeffcs Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
04th Dec 2010

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 01-Dec-10 04:01 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 0

Warsaw, US

You'll probably notice some over exposure with the D7k. Try reducing exposure and the shutter speed will increase. I find in most outdoor (sunny days) shots, I have to reduce exposure by -.7EV. Frustrating, but I'm slowing learning to figure it out. This was never a problem with my D5000.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 01-Dec-10 04:55 AM
26293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

First, you have to be pretty certain that you're metering exactly the same scene. Especially with matrix meters, it is entirely possible that small changes in framing can result in noticeable differences in overall exposure. This is much less true of the center-weighted pattern and virtually untrue of spot metering - but the default is matrix.

Second, the D7k metering system - especially matrix - may be biased in slightly different ways. For example, a D7k is vastly better at low-noise applications, so a D7k file with underexposed shadows may well be much more usable than a D60 file of the same scene and exposure. Accordingly, it's entirely possible that Nikon has chosen to err slightly on the side of underexposure if there are bright highlights. It's harder to recover a blown highlight than to pull up some (often not very) noisy shadows. I will note that I'm speculating when it comes to this particular comparison; I've certainly never seen the code. But after nine different Nikon SLRs I have come to be fairly sensitive to differences in metering implementations.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 01-Dec-10 05:19 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 2

Brighton and Hove, GB

>Second, the D7k metering system - especially matrix - may be
>biased in slightly different ways...

Brian, it seems that Nikon biased it the wrong way. The meter tends to overexpose, which blows highlight detail and throws away the potential of the low shadow noise. If they had tuned it to underexpose, what you say would make sense. I suspect there will be a firmware update in the not too distant future to sort this out.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 01-Dec-10 09:44 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 3

Warsaw, US

>I suspect
>there will be a firmware update in the not too distant future
>to sort this out.

I hope so.

Beside reducing exposure I recently found setting ADL to normal or high helps to reduce blown highlights, but it's not a "fix".

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 01-Dec-10 09:51 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 2

Warsaw, US

>For example, a D7k is
>vastly better at low-noise applications, so a D7k file with
>underexposed shadows may well be much more usable than a D60
>file of the same scene and exposure. Accordingly, it's
>entirely possible that Nikon has chosen to err slightly on the
>side of underexposure if there are bright highlights.

I agree, except, with Matrix the D7k exposes for the shadows and as a result blows out the highlights. Sometimes, even the shadows are too bright and show more detail than you would have seen with your eyes.

Center-weighted is more like you describe above.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Thu 02-Dec-10 01:29 AM
443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 5

Arlington, US

Several reviews have noted this behavior. So if you are in bright conditions at least you know that you probably need to dial the exposure compensation down to deal with it. You can always review the histogram to see what's going on and make some adjustments on the fly as necessary.

I would guess a firmware fix will come. My local camera shop is having one of their "nikon demo days" on Saturday. So it might be something worth asking the rep about there if I get a chance to go. Perhaps an inquiry to Nikon via their website will get an answer as well.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 02-Dec-10 08:09 AM
28316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

>I would guess a firmware fix will come.

I wouldn't hold your breath...!

I've posted in another thread on this topic, but basically my belief is that the D7000 is performing as Nikon intended.

We had a similar situation when the D80 was launched - its matrix metering was set up differently from some other Nikons, and it surprised some people. As with that camera, it should be quite feasible to get good exposures from a D7000 once you know how it reacts in different circumstances.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

aef Registered since 30th Nov 2010Thu 02-Dec-10 03:26 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Thanks for responding guys!

>> Beside reducing exposure I recently found setting ADL to normal or high helps to reduce blown highlights, but it's not a "fix".

What is ADL? It's not something I've adjusted before. I have been 'pattern' metering, as that's what the default was. On the D60 I always centre weighted metered. I'm also not really familiar with firmware updates - do you have to keep checking with Nikon for updates? How are they installed? Anyhow, not part of this thread, I know, but upgrading my camera made me realize how much I don't know. I've had to learn a lot with this D7000. For those of you who own one, do you you notice a difference in sharpness compared to your other Nikon models? This one seems a bit soft to me....

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Fri 03-Dec-10 07:50 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 7

Warsaw, US

ADL is Active D-Lighting. Press the Info button and it's in the list of settings at the bottom of the window (center of the top row).
For sharper images try turning Noise Reduction (next to ADL) to off or low. In Picture Controls you can increase sharpening. I think 5 is good.

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 03-Dec-10 08:28 PM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 7

New HArtford, US

>Thanks for responding guys!
>
>>> Beside reducing exposure I recently found setting ADL
>to normal or high helps to reduce blown highlights, but it's
>not a "fix".
>
>What is ADL? It's not something I've adjusted before. I have
>been 'pattern' metering, as that's what the default was. On
>the D60 I always centre weighted metered. I'm also not really
>familiar with firmware updates - do you have to keep checking
>with Nikon for updates? How are they installed? Anyhow, not
>part of this thread, I know, but upgrading my camera made me
>realize how much I don't know. I've had to learn a lot with
>this D7000. For those of you who own one, do you you notice a
>difference in sharpness compared to your other Nikon models?
>This one seems a bit soft to me....

I think ADL works by slightly underexposing the image and then pulling back the shadows and over all gives a higher dynamic range in an image if you are not going to do any post processing. I think you could have the same effect if you underexpose with exposure compensation and then fill in shadows in post.

If you really feel most images are overexposed which I don't in my limited experience I believe there is an exposure fine tune. Most people warn to be careful of using this as it effects all images. I would give it some time and review images frequently and judge how often you need to use exposure compensation. If you are using it on more then half of your images I would consider fine tuning exposure.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 01:52 AM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 10

egg harbor twp, US

When using ADL Nikon settings it will add some increased exposure to the middle and shadow tones in the image

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 04-Dec-10 08:38 AM
28316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 Shutter Speed"
In response to Reply # 10

Paignton, GB

>I think ADL works by slightly underexposing the image and then
>pulling back the shadows

Yes, that's correct.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2578 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.