Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25777
View in linear mode

Subject: "1st impressions - D7100 - this body's for the birds :-)" Previous topic | Next topic
polarpics Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2013Thu 28-Mar-13 02:05 PM
225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"1st impressions - D7100 - this body's for the birds :-)"

Ontario, CA

held a 7100 for the first time yesterday at a nearby camera store. Very close in size to my 600. I really wanted to test the 1.3 crop so I put it on a tripod - focused on a store front sign a block away and was amazed by the number of focal points within the 1.3 frame. They cover the entire scene or at least appeared to. The first thing that went through my mind was - wow - fantastic for bird shots. Exactly what I've been looking for to use as a dedicated telephoto lens body. Going back today to buy it.

Bill

Cold weather photography makes a VR lens your best friend. Think violent shivering.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

vitalishe Registered since 27th Dec 2012Sun 31-Mar-13 08:44 PM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 1st impressions - D7100 - this body's for the birds :-)"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Alamos, US

LOL, they should rename VR to VSR

polarpics Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2013Mon 01-Apr-13 07:31 PM
225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 1st impressions - D7100 - this body's for the birds :-)"
In response to Reply # 1

Ontario, CA

>LOL, they should rename VR to VSR

took me a minute to decipher the acronym VSR - Violent Shivering Reduction - and then laughed. Good call. I shot pictures in Canada's far north for many years and learned many coping skills for -30/40 degree cold. Sending mechanical bodies to Nikon Canada for winterising/degreasing was one of them. Pushing the shutter button between shakes was another. I shattered many a film back in those days. Amazing how brittle they got.

Bill

Cold weather photography makes a VR lens your best friend. Think violent shivering.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 03-Apr-13 01:50 PM
3085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shooting little birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

Can't wait to see some pictures.
I have enough trouble catching a shot of a Great Blue Heron from 200 ft. or less.

vitalishe Registered since 27th Dec 2012Sun 14-Apr-13 01:19 AM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 1st impressions - D7100 - this body's for the birds :-)"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Alamos, US

I surrendered too and got myself D7100.
My previous camera was D90 and I will keep it until it breaks up or the world ends, whichever comes first I actually like the feel of D90 better than D7100. The plastic on it had more rubber feel.

I plan to use D7100 for zooming and cropping and D90 for mid-range work. Birding is one of the jobs for D7100. Although I seam to have difficulty getting the sharpness I want while hand-holding the camera. I am using 70-300 vr mostly at 250mm. This could be a combinations of several things: higher pixel density means higher effective magnification, me imposing higher standards on the camera, and me not yet having good feel for what the camera wants. But for now I am not too impressed with my bird shooting while hand-holding.

The other thing I plan to use the camera for is macro.
Steady tripod + mirror lockup + higher pixel density + no low pass filter = amazingly sharp images with larger effective depth of field.

So, D7100 will be great for birding but it will be even better for macro.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25777 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.