Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2576
View in linear mode

Subject: "Faster focus than D80?" Previous topic | Next topic
caesarhernandez Registered since 04th Nov 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 10:43 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Faster focus than D80?"

CR

I was shooting a parade with a D80 and Sigma 150 f2.8. I missed several shots, because the lens was too slow to lock focus. If I use this lens with the D7K that I have on order, will performance improve, or is focus speed totally dependent on the lens?

Would I have much success with this lens for BIF? My only other choice is the nikkor 18-200.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Faster focus than D80?
Gamecocks Silver Member
30th Nov 2010
aef
30th Nov 2010
caesarhernandez
01st Dec 2010
JosephK Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2010

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 10:51 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Faster focus than D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I may be incorrect with this but I believe I read in the manual that third party lens may not perform as expected. Of course, this could be a ploy from Nikon to have people buy only Nikon. Hogan and Rockwell have tested different third party lens on other Nikon bodies with no problems. LensRentals.com does reviews on some of these lens. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

aef Registered since 30th Nov 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 11:11 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Faster focus than D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I just bought the 18-200mm Nikkor lens and I tested the 18-200 Sigma lens before I spent the extra money on the Nikkor lens and it (the sigma) was significantly slower to focus, particularly with moving subjects.

caesarhernandez Registered since 04th Nov 2010Wed 01-Dec-10 12:57 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Faster focus than D80?"
In response to Reply # 2

CR

OK, understood, but that wasn't the question. Is there something about the D7000 that will allow my existing sigma 150 to focus faster than it does on the D80?

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 01-Dec-10 02:31 AM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Faster focus than D80?"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

If the lens does not have an HSM system, it will be focused by the motor in the camera body. The D7000 probably has a marginally more powerful motor than the D80 for a marginally faster focus. To get noticeably faster focus, you would need to move up to a bigger camera body (D300 or D700 lines). Someone will probably have a more definitive answer....

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 02-Dec-10 12:50 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Faster focus than D80?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>OK, understood, but that wasn't the question. Is there
>something about the D7000 that will allow my existing sigma
>150 to focus faster than it does on the D80?

I have the Sigma 150/2.8, and I've had the D80/D200 and now have moved on to the D7000.

The Sigma 150 is a great lens, is HSM, but still not known for tremendous speed. However, at the long end, I've shot soccer games and tennis matches with it, and a D200, at field/court level. Very adequate.

In my opinion, but this is without real testing, my 150 seems to be quicker on my D7000. The D7000 AF system is Nikon's most advanced, 2 generations after the D80/D200. In theory, I would think many lenses should AF better with the D7000... my 150 seems both accurate and subjectively faster. I have not had a chance to shoot real action with it though.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 02-Dec-10 01:04 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Faster focus than D80?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I found this on the DPReview site:

"Either way, it is certainly true that Nikon has made significant improvements to the D7000's contrast-detection AF system compared to its predecessors, and we're confident that the D7000 offers the fastest CD-AF of any current Nikon DSLR. It is also worth noting that its CD-AF is noticeably faster than the Canon EOS 60D."

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2576 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.