Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2571
View in linear mode

Subject: "What's your early experience of the D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
dkeiger Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 09:15 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What's your early experience of the D7000?"

US

I'm giving heavy thought to selling a D80 body + kit lens, perhaps also a D90, to help finance purchase of a D7000. Specs and reviews make the camera sound great, but I'm curious about the hands-on experience of any Nikonians who've bought one. Thank you.

D

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?
billD80 Silver Member
30th Nov 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
30th Nov 2010
ricphoto
01st Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
ricphoto
01st Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
ricphoto
01st Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
Chris Ross Leong
04th Dec 2010
ricphoto
04th Dec 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
01st Dec 2010
01st Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
01st Dec 2010
01st Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2010
02nd Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
02nd Dec 2010
02nd Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
02nd Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
02nd Dec 2010
elec164 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2010
Grunge
02nd Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
02nd Dec 2010
02nd Dec 2010
03rd Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2010
03rd Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
04th Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
03rd Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
04th Dec 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
04th Dec 2010

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 30-Nov-10 09:53 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Adding to what several threads in this group have said, I don't know if you lose a thing going from the D80/90 to the D7000. And if you lose anything, what you gain is pretty significant.

I myself moved from a D200, and to my eyes, the build quality, focus accuracy/speed and the resolution alone, made the switch worth it. YMMV, as they say.

The D7000 is a well screwed together marvel. Only a D3x/D400/D700x will beat it, and they will/do cost a good deal more.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 09:56 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I just received mine on 11/26 and really like it. Others who are more experienced should be able to give more detail than I can at this time but imo it is all that has been advertised. Many more features than my D70s yet mostly the same normal operations. I find it to be fast focusing, smooth and quite shutter.

Some have said they have hot pixels but I haven't had any to appear. There have been a few threads about adjusting lens (that may not appear sharp) via AF fine tune but I haven't gotten there yet. The shots I've taken appear sharp until I view them in viewNX 2 full screen @ x1.0 (not too bad really) or x2.0 (kind of blurry). So, I may need to check on this. Otherwise, I believe it is a great camera with unlimited possibilities in the right hands. Good luck!

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Wed 01-Dec-10 01:20 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, US

Took 2 with me to Japan last week...1 for stills and 1 for video

was testing for an upcoming article on HDSLR Travel Rigs for PhotoMedia Magazine and a bit nervous about leaving my D3's home but I was pleased with the results of both...

some ungraded/no cc video snip tests are up on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/17225631

and here's a few still samples...

...Ric

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP Elect) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

ric@ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 01-Dec-10 01:31 AM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>
>and here's a few still samples...
>
>...Ric

Well there you go. These shots are stunning. Wish they were mine.

Sharp, great tonality, color.... Just great.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 01-Dec-10 02:44 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

Great shots Ric!

I think the d7k has delivered what those of us who shoot DX have been waiting for, a DX camera that can shoot at high ISOs as well (or nearly as well) as the FX line. Add to that completely revamped WB and metering that seem more accurate than ever, plus an AF system that appears to outperform the CAM3500DX despite having less AF points, and you have a winner.

The improved resolution, when treated with proper technique and sharpening, produces sharper looking shots than the D90/D300/300s imo.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Wed 01-Dec-10 03:21 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

Seattle, US

Thanks Bill/Jason...

Jason you nailed it when you said "treated with proper technique"...I'm reading way too many posts about how it doesn't "____" (fill in the blank)...it's not just the camera

Proper technique and actually spending/investing the time to get to know your tools is where it's at...

sure I prefer my D3's but they don't take 1080 video and traveling as much as I do for my workshops and photosafaris I was looking for a way to replace my FX1 video kit and be able to get to a single bag integrated still and video system...

for this trip I packed 2-D7000's, 3 zoom lenses (14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8), the genus shoulder rig, smallHD monitor, Zoom H4N, Zacuto Z-Finder, a 160 LED light and misc. filters, 1 charger, cords and heads in one Think Tank bag...(tripod, monopod and umbrella travelled with my clothes while flying)...

To be able to do that and get this kind of very salable quality in both my still images and videos makes me smile...

are they worth $1,200.00? in my book they are but only IF you are willing to spend the time to learn how to use them effectively...

...Ric

ric@ricphoto.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 01-Dec-10 03:27 AM
#7. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>are they worth $1,200.00? in my book they are but only IF you
>are willing to spend the time to learn how to use them
>effectively...
>
>...Ric

Well, I'm always willing to learn, so what in particular do you think needs to be spot-on to make this camera really perform?

If you don't mind sharing, what Focus setting did you use for the monkeys? AFS, AFC?

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Wed 01-Dec-10 03:55 AM
#8. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, US

No problem Bill...glad to share

I'm a "thumb" shooter so I have my back button on to start focus, the camera set to AFC and single point...I rarely get above f4 with the 24-70 so nailing the eyes is really important to the way I shoot and I'd rather set the spot myself than trust the camera to find the leading eye and judge the dof fall off...shutter release is set for "focus"

for stills (always in raw) I shoot for the most info the camera will give me that would be 14 bit in these and lossless compressed. RGB color space.

for the videos I tweaked the "neutral" setting so it was fairly flat and little less sharp. I want all of the dynamic range I can get when I get into Final Cut. That's really nice to have when you get to the color grading/correction stage. One thing I really found really useful was the Genustech Fader ND filter...2 to 8 stops of ND at a twist of the wrist...came in very handy when shooting video and wanting to stay at a shallow depth of field and maintain my 1/50 shutter speed for the 24 fps. Manual all the way here.

Stabilization is a must at or under the usual shutter speeds for the particular lens...be it a tripod, monopod, shoulder rig or a rock the increase in resolution and those tiny pixels/photosites will highlight any flaws...

practice...practice...practice...I spent more than a few days at the local Zoo and riding the ferries shooting seagulls before the trip...I rather throw out shots from the zoo than from when I'm in a far off land...

;-p

HTH...

...Ric

ric@ricphoto.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 01-Dec-10 04:04 AM
#9. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

the camera set to AFC and single point...I rarely
>get above f4 with the 24-70 so nailing the eyes is really
>important to the way I shoot

I've been using AFS and Single point, especially for the eyes on people/animals/insects.

Thanks for the tips. They're valuable. One thing I want to throw in... to me, if the D7000 isn't worth $1200. nothing is. It's a ton of camera for the money (in my mind).

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 01-Dec-10 11:15 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 8

Joanna, US

Thanks for sharing the steps of your process to obtain such great pictures. Imo, the end product usually shows there is a difference in the shots from an amateur, those that think they are pros, and those that have spent the many hours to become a pro.
The desire to share one's thoughts and opinions with others is one reason this community thrives. Most everyone is very helpful without being over critical of someone else's views.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Chris Ross Leong Registered since 18th Nov 2010Sat 04-Dec-10 03:10 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 8

Sherman Oaks, US

Ric, thanks for sharing!

In that vein, would you mind letting us know what your neutral settings are so far?

- "for the videos I tweaked the "neutral" setting so it was fairly flat and little less sharp"

Thanks!
If you don't mind, I'll post your reply up on the Video side too, get something of a settings bank started.

Cheers
Chris

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Sat 04-Dec-10 03:29 PM
#35. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 34
Sat 04-Dec-10 03:39 PM by ricphoto

Seattle, US

No problem Chris...

Neutral settings are/were real simple: sharpness on the 3rd bar and everything else on "0".

I'll be experimenting with even less sharpness on furry critters this week but the settings are looking like they'll grade really well in FCP and "Color"...lots of dynamic range to play with.

...Ric

BTW: I should add that this was with Nikon Pro lenses: (14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8) as I'm sure, as we all know, that the color, sharpness and contrast qualities/capabilities of the lenses has a direct bearing on the results.

ric@ricphoto.com

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 01-Dec-10 09:33 AM
3091 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 01-Dec-10 09:35 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

I've got a D7K, in fact I have had two now as the first and the reason I bought it Birds in Flight, failed miserably. So, how do I feel about the second one?. Compared to my D700 it's way short of the mark, ok so it's not FX, but compared to the D90 it's slightly less than equal. If I could change my mind now I would have bought the D300s, even if it's up for near replacement. If the D7K technology is the test ground for the D300s replacement, then I certainly won't rush to buy it. So, why do I feel like this.

Firstly, to those who will say I am probably not using it correctly I say, I know how to use a Nikon. I still think the focus on full zoom (@ 200 on my 70-200 and 400mm on my 80-400) is too soft, in fact not as sharp as the D90 with the same settings by a long way. Also it's expensive. My setup is virtually exactly as my D700 is and D90 was, yet in IMHO it fails. As for the video, I never even switched it on on the D90 and probably never will on the D7K. If I want video, I'll use a dedicated V camera.

Sorry Nikon and on the basis I'm absolutely sure it's not me, it wasn't worth all the hype in the months before it hit the shops.

After 7 years of Nikon cameras and lenses this is the first disappointment.

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 01-Dec-10 09:58 AM
28321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 10

Paignton, GB

>My setup is virtually exactly as my D700 is and D90 was,
>yet in IMHO it fails.

Maybe that's part of the problem...?

In my experience each new generation of Nikon requires careful study of the handbook and some experimentation to arrive at the best combination of settings for each circumstance. In my own case, moving from a D70 (my first DSLR) to a D200 required a significant change in the way I set up and used the camera, and in post-processing. It was the same when I added a D2Xs, and again when I replaced those with a D300 and D700.

Simply assuming the same settings that worked on previous models will work again is likely to lead to disappointment.

Ric has shown above what a D7000 is capable of. As he perceptively states, we should spend some time getting to know the quirks of a new model, and keep practising

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 01-Dec-10 11:21 AM
3091 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 11

Dyserth, GB

Thank Brian and I am persevering. I have no problem with landscape or where I need a wide angle, even portraits are pretty good. The reason I bought the camera is for wildlife and in particular BIF. To date I have preserved few wildlife images, as more distant subjects are too poorly captured whereas those taken with bot D700/90 were mostly acceptable. However, all my other pictures are fine. Saying "my other pictures are fine" means of course that I am as happy as with the D700 and D90, but that's not what I bought it for.

I shall carry on persevering in the hope I can achieve similar or as good as my D700 is and my D90 was. When I do I shall be able to post images that I'm satisfied with. Interestingly, I think this is difficult for me, as unlike your experiences changing up, I almost seamlessly migrated from D80 to D300 and D300 to D700 and no problens whatsoever with D90.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 01-Dec-10 07:04 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 13

Toronto, CA

If you look around the web there are a number of people getting awesome results for BIF photos with the d7k (including some here). Perhaps emailing them directly for settings, etc. might provide some assistance?

I posted this guys link last week respecting the d7k's AF:

http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogspot.com/2010/11/nikon-d7000-af-impressions.html

He recently posted his additional findings:

http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogspot.com/2010/11/nikon-d7000-af-speed-test.html

If you look through his blog he has lots of great wildlife pics taken with the d7000 and long lenses.

Jason

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 01-Dec-10 07:55 PM
#15. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 14

Dyserth, GB

Thanks Jason.

I wish, but there again in the bird images he is using a 600mm f/4 which is 900mm on the D7k. That said, I have achieved great results on my D90 and D700 with a 300mm f/4, 80-400mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 the last with the dog he used the 70-200mm. I too use about 800 ISO, but haven't dared exceed 1600 yet. I am absolutely amazed at his images and I have to say I haven't tried BIF yet, until I can get a sharp shot on a stationary distant bird. I used to, have a look at my website www.pixels4u.co.uk where all wildlife shots were taken with either D700 or D90 with either a 70-200 + x1.4 or x1.7 converter, a 300mm f/4 a 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 or even a 70-300 f/4.5-5.6. The puffin shots were a crop factor of 100%, this is exceptional but they are reasonable especially taken from a bobbing boat.

I will, however, follow the David Courtney pages and see if I can get near to his quality. I think at the moment I need to take time out, consider all options, follow all the advice and start again from scratch with the D7K. I just cannot believe where I'm going wrong though.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 02-Dec-10 01:27 AM
#16. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 15

US

I just cannot believe
>where I'm going wrong though.
>

I looked at your fine images. Congratulations.

The Bald Eagle shot is something that, if you can't get that right now with the D7K, something is amiss...

I confess I haven't read through all prior posts...

Are you shooting JPEG? If so, make sure your in-camera quality settings are set on the highest level, and you'll need to put your sharpening level to 6 or 7 because the sharpening AND contrast levels on the D7K are very conservative. Indeed, the factory JPEG settings on the D7K ARE NOT for largest size/best quality. My D200 was like this too. The factory defaults do not yield the largest file sizes.

Maybe same thing with RAW... The D7K settings are conservative, so you might need to add more sharpening/contrast than you're accustomed to.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 02-Dec-10 06:54 AM
#17. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 16

Dyserth, GB

Thanks.

The picture of the bald eagle and all the birds of prey were with the D700, Bald Eagle with a 24-70 f/2.8 and all those in flight with a 70-200mm f/2.8 mostly with a x1.7 TC. I am really pleased with all the images, but haven't accomplished the same IQ with the D7K....yet! Also, in all my photography my process is: take in RAW, process in Lightroom 3, export as edited jpg's, then final tidy up etc. in Photoshop CS5 where required.

I am interested in your comment re: sharpening. I haven't touched that feature yet so will try it. My problem is that the talk has been about users who have come accross similar problems when buying a newly released Nikon. I've never had this and thought most of these settings were for when users had specific lens problems etc, but obviously I am the odd one out.

Thanks for your help and looks like this 4th Nikon of mine is actually labour intensive in terms of both settings and user manipulation. Not sure I like that, after all paying out £1100 to have to fiddle seems a bit crazy to me. I wouldn't say that if I'd ever had to do it before!

I'll carry on and try some more things.

Richard

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 02-Dec-10 11:43 AM
#18. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 17

US

>I am interested in your comment re: sharpening. I haven't
>touched that feature yet so will try it.

I found my D200 conservatively set in sharpening and contrast by the factory. One review said JPEGs out of the D200 were "dull" in comparison to another brand where the factory defaults were more aggressively dialed in.

The D7000 is very similar, and I'm noticing at 100% in Post-Processing, my D7000 images will take a good deal more sharpening than I'm used to adding. They're looking GREAT.

I believe, the D7K linear resolution is greater than your D700. If left unsharpened (assuming your base image is good), a D7K image could automatically look dull next to a lesser resolution camera's output. At least I think this is correct.

In other words, a properly focussed, steadily shot image from the D7K sensor should be just as crisp and detailed as the D700. Rockwell shows this on his site.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 02-Dec-10 12:58 PM
28321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 18

Paignton, GB

>I believe, the D7K linear resolution is greater than your D700.

Yes, it's much greater.

The D7000 has about 209 photosites per millimetre across its sensor (4,928 in a width of 23.6mm), whereas the D700 has about 118 photosites per millimetre (4,256 in a width of 35mm).

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 02-Dec-10 03:08 PM
#20. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 19
Thu 02-Dec-10 03:24 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Brian.

So that should give better definition than my D700? If so, is that saying I should get a better IQ?

Thanks

Richard

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 02-Dec-10 04:08 PM
#22. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 20

Paignton, GB

With the same lens on both cameras, you will get a notably higher-resolution (but cropped) image with the D7000.

But... resolution is only one small part of image quality, and unless you are making heavy crops or very large prints, the greater pixel density may be of limited value.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 02-Dec-10 04:37 PM
#24. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 22
Thu 02-Dec-10 04:38 PM by billD80

US

>With the same lens on both cameras, you will get a notably
>higher-resolution (but cropped) image with the D7000.
>
>But... resolution is only one small part of image quality, and
>unless you are making heavy crops or very large prints, the
>greater pixel density may be of limited value.

Hypothetically, if I print an uncropped image from the D7K and the D700 to, say, 10x15, I may not notice any advance in terms of resolution. I won't notice any additional flaws either.

BUT, and I am guessing this is where things get disappointing, if I look at an image from my D7000 at 100% on my monitor, this view can be MUCH more revealing of technique/lens flaws than a D700 image viewed at 100%. It could look WORSE than what I'm accustomed to from a lower resolution sensor, where certain flaws weren't as noticeable. Correct?

IF this is true (and heaven knows, I'm not at all certain it is), what seems like a problem might not actually be, because printing at normal sizes like 8x12, 10x15, 12x18 the flaws revealed by the D7000 sensor won't be readily seen.

On the other hand, those of us who print to 20x30 (me), MIGHT see a substantial benefit IF we've got good glass and IF we've got good technique.

Is this somewhere in the ballpark?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 02-Dec-10 04:44 PM
#25. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 24

Paignton, GB

>Is this somewhere in the ballpark?

Yes, I'd say so

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 03-Dec-10 05:03 PM
1897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 24
Fri 03-Dec-10 05:06 PM by elec164

US

>BUT, and I am guessing this is where things get disappointing,
>if I look at an image from my D7000 at 100% on my monitor,
>this view can be MUCH more revealing of technique/lens flaws
>than a D700 image viewed at 100%. It could look WORSE than
>what I'm accustomed to from a lower resolution sensor, where
>certain flaws weren't as noticeable. Correct?
>

Viewing an image in an editor at 100% or greater view is the only way one can truly view actual pixels. Viewing anything less is viewing an interpolated view being that monitors can only display actual pixels.

Using actual pixel view is useful, but you must remain cognizant of what you are looking at. Most monitors of today have a PPI resolution of between 86 and 100 PPI with some having as high as 133. Given the greater pixel density of the D7000 over the D700, it is like looking at an enlarged photo at closer than normal viewing distance. So at 100% view and assuming a 100PPI monitor, it would be like looking at a 49 inch print enlargement of the D7000 and a 42 inch enlargement of the D700 capture at 18 inches. Being that apparent sharpness and DOF is dependent on the viewing distance and amount of enlargement of the capture medium you would need a smaller CoC on the D7000 image to achieve the same appearance as the D700 with 100% on screen view. So if using the same settings and comparing both on screen at 100% the D7000 image may very well tend to look overall softer and less sharp then the D700 image.

I believe the same would apply to making prints. The greater pixel density for a given print size of the D7000 would tolerate and require more sharpening then the D700 to give a similar appearance.

At least I believe I understand this issue correctly and have stated it properly.

Pete

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 03-Dec-10 06:18 PM
#32. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 29

US

The greater
>pixel density for a given print size of the D7000 would
>tolerate and require more sharpening then the D700 to give a
>similar appearance.

I would say this has absolutely been my experience. In the end, I've wound up with a quantum leap in detail...

Grunge Registered since 03rd Nov 2010Thu 02-Dec-10 03:34 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>If you look around the web there are a number of people
>getting awesome results for BIF photos with the d7k (including
>some here). Perhaps emailing them directly for settings, etc.
>might provide some assistance?
>
>I posted this guys link last week respecting the d7k's AF:
>
>http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogspot.com/2010/11/nikon-d7000-af-impressions.html
>
>He recently posted his additional findings:
>
>http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogspot.com/2010/11/nikon-d7000-af-speed-test.html
>
>If you look through his blog he has lots of great wildlife
>pics taken with the d7000 and long lenses.
>
>Jason

This is very helpful. I like to shoot college football and AF tracking is key.
Grunge

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 20-Dec-10 01:28 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 13

Monterey Bay, US

> To date I have preserved few wildlife
>images, as more distant subjects are too poorly captured
>whereas those taken with bot D700/90 were mostly acceptable.
>
>I shall carry on persevering in the hope I can achieve similar
>or as good as my D700 is and my D90 was. When I do I shall be
>able to post images that I'm satisfied with. Interestingly, I
>think this is difficult for me, as unlike your experiences
>changing up, I almost seamlessly migrated from D80 to D300 and
>D300 to D700 and no problems whatsoever with D90.
>
>Richard

Richard, In fairness to you, I too have found the D7000 is the most difficult to master of all Nikons I've tried including:
D1,D2h,D2x,D3 also D200, D90, and D3100.

My hardest transition was from the D3 because that body is so fast and forgiving that I had gotten sloppy in my shooting style.
You cannot just snap away with the D7000.
I quickly learned to take more time setting up the shot, the camera controls, and making sure the image is in focus.
I now have to use a TriPod or MonoPod when using a long lens.
The higher resolution has revealed my short comings and forced me to become a better photographer again like when I upgraded from the D2h to the D2x.
This has helped me create better D3 images too.

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Mon 20-Dec-10 06:25 PM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 39

New HArtford, US

Roger and Richard,
I am happy that your experience with the D7000 has improved.

I have been reading much of your posts along with others regarding focusing and softness issues.
I moved up from the D5000 which I finally bonded with.

I was having some problems as well with the D7000.
I do not have nearly as much experience as you and therefore was much more willing to accept that it was me. I did focusing tests on a tripod with 3 different focusing charts over the course of 2 weeks. While I did fine tune 2 of my lenses < 4. I'm not sure that will make a big difference. I found that Live view did a little to improve the focus when I used my daughters stuffed animals as a test, but this was very slight.

I found that my percent of decently sharp images was 1/3 of what I was getting with the D5000. I compared the cameras head to head hand holding shooting stuffed animals in my office. This obviously was not scientific but I wanted a real world test as opposed to looking at markers on a focus test chart.

Part of my problem was likely due to viewing 1:1 which is more apt to show slight softness due to larger size of image being analyzed, but I was and am convinced that this was not the only problem.

I do feel like as time is progressing I am getting more comfortable with the camera and the percent of sharp keepers has precipitously risen.

After this weekend of shooting 2 parties I finally feel like I am doing a little better than I was with my D5000, certainly the high iso capability does appear better. I also used a vivitar flash for some of the images and feel much more confident with the D7000 than the D5000. I think the ttl technology is far superior.

I am hoping I continue to improve and am now happy with my decision to upgrade to the D7000.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 02-Dec-10 04:34 PM
8152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Beautiful images, Ric - and thanks for sharing your experience and perspective.

It is clear that the D7000 is a very capable camera. I would rate it substantially better than a D80 and only moderately better than a D90 or D300. It has a lot of new capability, some new settings, and some of the old settings aren't necessarily the way to get the most out of the camera.

I gave a D7000 to my wife to replace her D300 with something a little smaller and lighter. I'm using the AF-A mode rather than AFC. The idea is that it will automatically switch between AFC with release priority and AFS with focus priority depending on whether the subject is moving. I'm using a single point when possible, but have tried Auto Area focus successfully with my very active dog.

I'm shooting primarily RAW so I have not worried too much about Picture Controls. But I find Standard and Neutral are a bit soft for my taste, so I am using Vivid in-camera. Auto ISO is remarkably good in the right circumstances, but I normally select my desired ISO setting. Auto WB seems improved from earlier versions - perhaps a bit warmer.

The facial recognition technology is remarkably good. I think it is worth exploring and taking advantage of more automation.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 02-Dec-10 04:51 PM
#26. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 23

Dyserth, GB

Thank you Eric, that sounds interesting and today after advice from others I have increased the sharpening and the initial results are promising. The lights been poor here today and I have been forced to lift the ISO to about 1000 to get any acceptable shutter speed. Following your advice I shall try Auto AF tomorrow and also Vivid. I normally take in RAW, so as you say the picture controls are almost redundant as I have NX2 in addition to Photoshop.

When I start producing consistantly sharp images, I shall post a few. I do feel now that I may be getting somewhere, although I feel quite humbled. I was wrong to think that just because I had 4 Nikons before the D7K it would work to my standard straight out of the box. Thank goodness for Nikonians!

Richard

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 03-Dec-10 02:20 PM
#27. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dyserth, GB

I promised that if I managed to capture some reasonable images I would. Birdlife is a bit sparse with us at present as daytime temperatures are as low as -5C despite my bird feeders! I attach two pictures of a Robin which is the best quality I've managed to so far. Details are on the images, but I have captured these with settings adjusted to the advice received on this forum. Importantly, these imageswere hand held.

Thanks for all your help and your comments would be appreciated.

Richard

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 03-Dec-10 04:43 PM
#28. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 27

US

I always look at the eyes. To me, the 2nd one with the bird on profile is very, very sharp.

A few other comments... 1/250th at 200mm is a tad borderline for the ability of most of us to keep steady (though you did it on the second image!).

Also, the bird's eyes/head are a very small part of the image (especially considering these are 50% crops!), and I would think the camera would be challenged to "know" exactly what you wanted to focus on (even with a single point defined). This is especially true in that at f/2.8 you have fairly shallow depth of field.

Plus, f2.8 on any lens isn't going to be the top performance setting in terms of resolution (though, again, the 2nd image seems spot-on).

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 03-Dec-10 05:39 PM
#30. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 28
Fri 03-Dec-10 05:41 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Hi. Thanks for that and yes, I agree. Normally when I take shots like that I try to get f8, but this was a rare opportunity today and it was lift, focus, click and that's it. Tomorrow I'm going to extend the distance and try with a 80-400mm.

Thank you for awarding the second image "sharp" status. That has boosted my confidence. However, everything said and I've been watching another thread "D7000...I need advice" which is almost a clone of my thread both here and the one I started. Like me the poster seems to be comparing the D90 against the D7000. Lots of folks think that it is wrong to comapare, but I don't think it is. I bought a second hand D90 and it was fantastic. Put simply, he like me has spent £1100 for a camera which promises much, but doesn't equal the D90 in the way the D90 did.

I think in the end this will become an issue for Nikon (like the hot pixel), whether there is a firmware fix we shall wait and see.

Richard

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 04-Dec-10 07:28 PM
#36. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 30

US

I bought a
>second hand D90 and it was fantastic. Put simply, he like me
>has spent £1100 for a camera which promises much, but doesn't
>equal the D90 in the way the D90 did.
>
>

OK, looking at your website, these images (shot with I assume either the D700 or D90, to my eyes, are not as sharp as the second image you I noted that you shot with the D7000. And the D7000 image you posted was a 50% crop version.

http://www.pixels4u.co.uk/photo6482996.html

http://www.pixels4u.co.uk/photo6483040.html

http://www.pixels4u.co.uk/photo6483004.html

Is it possible that the increased pixel density of the D7000 has simply been more revealing of what's been happening all along with all of your cameras?

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 09:15 PM
#37. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 36

Dyserth, GB

I've read so many posts now that I think I am understanding much more. Firstly I have increased the sharpening, secondly I've increased the ISO, finally and because of the increase in ISO, the images are sharper.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 03-Dec-10 05:53 PM
#31. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
Fri 03-Dec-10 05:55 PM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

On the d7000, I think you need to be more cognizant of shutter speed as camera shake will be more evident given the greater pixel density.

1/250 @ 200mm is, as stated by Bill, borderline, and unless you have perfect technique and really steady hands it is going to impact sharpness. The 2nd photo looks reasonably sharp, the first is acceptable but less sharp than the 2nd.

I would use the ISO capability to buy some more shutter speed, especially at the longer focal lengths and when using more difficult lenses to handle like the 70-200.

Jason

p.s. On this issue it reminded me of something Thom Hogan said about the D3X. When you increase MP's and pixel density you need to take far more care about technique. This is why Nikon has resisted increasing MP's. Still, if used right it will produce sharper images especially in photos with a lot of fine detail. Here is one of Hogan's interesting article on the D3X that touches on this: http://www.bythom.com/nikond3xreview.htm

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 04-Dec-10 01:51 PM
8152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"

Atlanta, US

I find the second image best to evaluate the camera, but not adequate for a true test image. I agree with Bill - the image looks accurately focuse and sharp.

Even cropped to 50%, the image looks pretty good. The bird represents only 1/4 of the width of the posted image. The right foot of the bird seems very sharp.

I assume this was originally a RAW image. Was it processed in Photoshop? Were camera settings removed or applied?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Sat 04-Dec-10 09:27 PM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: What's your early experience of the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 04-Dec-10 09:31 PM by JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US

I got my D7000 2 nights ago and had the chance to shoot outside for about an hour today. I borrowed a friends 300mm 4.0 and paired with my 1.7 TCE.
It was 28 degrees F., and a bit hard to keep camera shake down.

I found that it grabbed focus fairly quickly and kept it. Tracking seemed fairly impressive even when trees were overlapping subject although most of my soft focus images were with trees around birds. More than 80% of images were acceptably sharp (to me). Many of the soft images were related to user error. (me).

This was the first time I ever used lens so I am sure with some practice I could optimize more. Most shots were done with exposure comp +.3 to .7 center weighted. I varied between 21 and 39 focus points. As I am not used to lens it was hard for me to only use nine focus points as keeping subject in the middle is challanging with 500mm. With practice I'm sure I'll improve.
I used in camera SD with +2 to sharpening. Many images cropped.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)
Attachment #8, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2571 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.