Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25709
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash raises when not needed?" Previous topic | Next topic
Danks Registered since 01st Nov 2012Wed 27-Mar-13 06:25 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash raises when not needed?"

Sydney, AU

Hi all
I have a Nikon D7000 and i've noticed that the flash raises on auto flash setting even when the flash is not needed (bright daylight). Sometime when the flash pops up it will go off sometimes not, even when i now there is enough light. I think this maybe a fault in the camera.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 27-Mar-13 07:49 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash raises when not needed?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

In Auto exposure mode, the flash pops up if there is not enough subject light or if there is a backlight situation where the flash offers "fill flash" to balance a strong brackgound light with the darker main focus target. A good example is when taking a photo of someone fairly close at the beach, and the background it brighter than the shadows on the face. Fill flash will expose the face, if the flash has enough power, at the same exposure as the background.
If you do not want fill flash, use the Non-Flash Auto mode, right next to the green Auto mode on the mode switch. That will prevent the flash from being used for illumination or fill, by not popping up. If you are within about 10 feet of your subject, this fill flash feature works really well and really improves many outdoor scenes which tend to create harsh shadows on faces which are not flattering.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013Wed 27-Mar-13 08:09 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash raises when not needed?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Yes,km6xz would be correct there. I somehow doubt the flash would be working incorrectly, certainly if the rest of your D7000 exposure system is working ok? Try the modes that allow you to enable the flash when you feel the need. Like M and A OR no flash like km6xz expalins.
I am aware the flash can pop up when you dont want it and it can be distracting. So you have to try and avoid it.

Regards

Danks Registered since 01st Nov 2012Thu 28-Mar-13 03:00 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash raises when not needed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

Thanks Guys,

I'll give it a try!

Christopher

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25709 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.