Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25677
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 25-Mar-13 10:55 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"

Aventura, US

I got my MB-D15 today. When attached to D7100 and using 18-300 zoom the total package feels heavy. Is the MB-D15 strong enough for me to attach the Rapid Strap to the battery grip tripod mount?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid S...
wlwakefield
25th Mar 2013
dave_17531
26th Mar 2013
jetkins Silver Member
03rd Dec 2013
km6xz Moderator
03rd Dec 2013
bellnier Silver Member
07th Dec 2013
km6xz Moderator
15th Dec 2013
jbloom Gold Member
03rd Dec 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
08th Dec 2013
chesterdawg Silver Member
15th Dec 2013
kentak Silver Member
15th Dec 2013

wlwakefield Registered since 21st Jan 2007Mon 25-Mar-13 11:27 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"
In response to Reply # 0

Irving, US

>I got my MB-D15 today. When attached to D7100 and using
>18-300 zoom the total package feels heavy. Is the MB-D15
>strong enough for me to attach the Rapid Strap to the battery
>grip tripod mount?

I'm using my blackrapid curve with it.

http://www.wlwakefield.com

dave_17531 Registered since 07th Sep 2010Tue 26-Mar-13 03:55 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I used my black rapid with my D7000 with the 18-300 and the MB-D11 extra battery and had no issues. When I can gather up enough money I'm getting the MB-D15 for my D7100 with the 18-300 like you got and will be using the black rapid strap.

jetkins Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Tue 03-Dec-13 06:01 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, TX, US

I believe the MB-D15 has a Mg alloy body, right? I've just upgraded from a D5100 to a D7100, and am looking at third-party grips, but it seems that all but the genuine Nikon unit have plastic bodies. There's no way I'll be hanging my new baby off my BlackRapid strap if there's only some cheap Chinese plastic between it and disaster, so I expect I'll just save up for the genuine article.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 03-Dec-13 04:06 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 15-Dec-13 08:54 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

A few third party grips are all metal which is a pretty new development. The Nikon is strong enough for D7100's and a relatively light lens like your despite being only 1/2 metal.
Any impact or torquing that could break a thick plastic grip will cause damage to your camera and lens. I have 3 mostly plastic grips on 3 bodies with lwnses that are heavier and never have had a problem with well over 100,000 shots in events and other tests of equipment ruggedness and the grips all look better than the cameras (a D90 D7000 and D800)
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

bellnier Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2006Sat 07-Dec-13 03:09 PM
1665 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"
In response to Reply # 4

Buffalo, US

There's a D7100S? Where can I buy one?

"Stupidity is a gift from God, but one mustn't misuse it" - Pope John Paul II

Http://bellnier-photos.smugmug.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 15-Dec-13 08:56 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

Sorry, typo, meant D7000's. That happens all the time when I am posting from my phone. I corrected the original post.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 03-Dec-13 04:17 PM
6136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I use mine that way with a 70-200 f/4 lens frequently while shooting day time field sports.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 08-Dec-13 05:37 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 08-Dec-13 05:43 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

I've started clipping my BR strap to one of the strap lugs on top of the camera instead of the tripod socket on the grip - because I don't like the feel of all that hardware in my palm when I hold the grip in a vertical position. If I have a large lens with tripod foot mounted, I just unclip from the strap lug and clip to a Black Rapid fastener screwed into a small (1") AS clamp that I can easily move from lens to lens.

The BosStrap folks (similar to Black Rapid) tested the stap post on a Nikon camera to 125lbs before it failed. Though that was a static load failure, considering that it is highly unlikely that I would hang more than 5 lbs from that lug, it would take a force of 25 G's to induce failure. Since I would be unlikely to survive more than 18 G's, I use that configuration without any concern for the strap lug post breaking lose.

Visit my gallery.

chesterdawg Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2010Sun 15-Dec-13 04:43 AM
205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"
In response to Reply # 0

Commerce, US

>I got my MB-D15 today. When attached to D7100 and using
>18-300 zoom the total package feels heavy. Is the MB-D15
>strong enough for me to attach the Rapid Strap to the battery
>grip tripod mount?

Yes

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 15-Dec-13 04:43 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Is MB-D15 on D7100 strong enough to attach Rapid Strap"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Sounds like a significant amount of weight hanging off a tripod attachment point which is designed to have the forces coming from the other direction. Even when I have just the camera and moderately heavy lens, I don't let the combo bounce or swing around too much when hanging from the strap. I'll use my hand to stabilize it while the strap takes most of the weight. If I'm walking rapidly, jogging, or need to jump down from a platform, I take all the weight off the strap.

Kent

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25677 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.