Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2567
View in linear mode

Subject: "Supporting my D7000 via modified strap" Previous topic | Next topic
jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 08:51 PM
465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Supporting my D7000 via modified strap"

Lafayette, US

I would like your suggestions and comments on what I have done to provide myself with a more assessable camera operation. Since I don't have a lot of experience with these cameras I want to make sure I won't unknowingly damage the camera.

I purchased the Nikonians' camera strap to allow me to carry the camera on my hip and have better shoulder/neck support. I like the strap with one exception. It's straps often get in the way of operating the camera. The two straps connected to the mounts often cover the eyepiece or controls. I have to stop and move them before shooting.

So, I screwed a 1/2" by 1/4" carriage screw into the tripod mount and attached one of the straps to it. You can see it in the pictures, I have two support points, the left hand camera mount and the bottom of the camera. This allows me to carry the camera comfortably on my hip and quickly bring it up to use.

I can't see where this could be dangerous for the camera, but I want to get more experienced advice.

John

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Supporting my D7000 via modified strap
agitater Gold Member
30th Nov 2010
jmiguez Silver Member
30th Nov 2010
agitater Gold Member
30th Nov 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
30th Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
01st Dec 2010

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 30-Nov-10 09:06 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Supporting my D7000 via modified strap"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Tripod plates which attach to the base of a camera are designed and supplied with a mounting screw which is long enough to bite the threads, but not so long that tightening the plate in place will result in the screw erupting through the base.

As long as you're making sure to use a spacer with a swivel attachment to which the end of your strap can be connected) and a carriag or machine screw of the correct length, you'll avoid punching through the lower part of the internal camera frame. If you've tighten the carriage bolt all the way into the threaded receiver, IMO you should immediately check that it's not touching/stressing the base.

Other than that, it looks like a decent solution.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 09:15 PM
465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Supporting my D7000 via modified strap"
In response to Reply # 1

Lafayette, US

Howard, Thank you for your detailed and informative reply. I had the screw finger tight against the bottom of the plate. I can easily shorten it and add the swivel attachment.

I make make a more elegant solution out of brass this weekend.

John

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 30-Nov-10 09:20 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Supporting my D7000 via modified strap"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

>Howard, Thank you for your detailed and informative reply. I
>had the screw finger tight against the bottom of the plate. I
>can easily shorten it and add the swivel attachment.
>
>I make make a more elegant solution out of brass this weekend.

Seems like you've nailed a good idea. Consider adding to the modified attachment a few drops of Loctite and you'll have an excellent rig I think.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 09:21 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Supporting my D7000 via modified strap"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 30-Nov-10 09:41 PM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

You could get a plate that goes on the bottom and it usually has a connecting ring. This should not penetrate further than necessary thereby not harming the camera. Get the Black Rapid strap which is designed to attach to the ring. I use the RS5 and it is very secure and easily moved for quick camera use. The RS5 sells for $65 and you can search their web site for a demo. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 01-Dec-10 02:52 AM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Supporting my D7000 via modified strap"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

2nd vote for the black rapid strap.

This is what I use when the camera is not on a TriPod/MonoPod.

It is great for hikes or to carry a second camera with out tangling it up with the one on my Nikonians strap.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2567 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.