Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25650
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Live View Mirror Slap ?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bass rock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2007Mon 25-Mar-13 07:42 AM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Live View Mirror Slap ?"

Scotland, GB

Hi there. Can anyone with a D7100 describe the mirror behaviour in live view? On my old D300, the mirror would do a double movement in tripod mode - up for LV, drop down then back up for exposure - which caused a lot of vibration in macro shots. I understand the newer D800 doesn't do this and the mirror stays up permanently for the exposure, so has much less vibration. I am wondering whether the D7100 operates like the D300 or D800 in this regard.

Many thanks

Bill
North Berwick, Scotland

My Website - My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 Live View Mirror Slap ?
txstone12 Gold Member
29th Mar 2013
Bass rock Silver Member
31st Mar 2013
jerryray Silver Member
31st Mar 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
09th Apr 2013
Bass rock Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
stevelink3
23rd May 2013
km6xz Moderator
23rd May 2013

txstone12 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012Fri 29-Mar-13 05:20 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Live View Mirror Slap ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Texas, US

Can’t imagine why you aren’t getting responses – apparently everyone who has taken delivery of their new D7100s are busy taking photos. I still have my D7000, but here’s some information that I found. I come from a different point of view with the D800 and as you mentioned, expect the mirror to be up in Live View. So I would not be surprised if the newer cameras, like the D7100, work the same way.

Here’s a reference for the D7100, particularly the ‘Select live view photography or movie live view with the live view selector’ section that I was able to find

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/features04.htm

I also remember your GH3 articulating screen eye-level photos of your corji at the beach. Corji eye level, that is.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug Gallery.

Bass rock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2007Sun 31-Mar-13 08:13 AM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Live View Mirror Slap ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Scotland, GB

Thanks for the info David. I am hoping it is like the D800. I am torn between the D7100 and the D800 - different cameras for sure, but it comes down to balance of weight and cost !

And, yes, you remember my corgi shots with the GH3. That is a wonderful camera. My ideal would be a FF version of that

Bill
North Berwick, Scotland

jerryray Silver Member Charter MemberSun 31-Mar-13 12:20 PM
319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Live View Mirror Slap ?"
In response to Reply # 0

NYC, US

It's pretty quiet, quieter and less vibration than my 300s

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 09-Apr-13 03:49 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 Live View Mirror Slap ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

One of the deficiencies I found in my D90 was similar to what you describe for the D300 -- no ability to lock the mirror up for exposure, so the only way to minimize mirror slap on a tripod is to use the exposure delay mode that separates mirror-up from shutter release by 1 sec.

Now that I have my D7100 I've been checking out the mirror slap issue with both the Live View and Mup modes and I like what I've found.

In Live View, it seems that the mirror locks up and stays up until you exit live view. If your release mode is continuous, you can shoot a burst of exposures with no mirror movement. (For example, if you are shooting a bracketed sequence for HDR you can just hold down the shutter button/cable release and get the whole sequence of shots.)

Using Mup through the viewfinder seems to be pretty conventional: the first shutter press raises the mirror and the second activates the shutter, after which the mirror returns to normal position. I think it helps in this mode to uncouple focus from shutter release. In my case, I assign the AE-L/AF-L button to AF-On, allowing me to compose and focus before going into the Mup/shutter release sequence.

These features are great improvements over the D90 for tripod photography!

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Bass rock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2007Wed 10-Apr-13 07:54 AM
#5. "RE: D7100 Live View Mirror Slap ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Scotland, GB

Thanks Dave.

The live view operation sounds good. The vibration from the mirror on my D300 was quite noticeable on some of my macro shots.

D7100 or D800? Hmm...

Bill
North Berwick, Scotland

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Thu 23-May-13 05:04 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 Live View Mirror Slap ?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Thanks Dave.
>
>The live view operation sounds good. The vibration from the
>mirror on my D300 was quite noticeable on some of my macro
>shots.
>
>D7100 or D800? Hmm...
>
>Bill
>North Berwick, Scotland
>
>http://www.BassRockPhotography.com"[br />>target="_blank"]My Website - >href="http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/162875"
>target="_blank"]My Nikonians Gallery

Greetings Bill and Dave.
I'm a D5200 owner who is strongly contemplating trading up to the D7100, for its feature set, build quality, extra battery life, and of course, no OLPF for sharper images. (I'm a Sharpness junkie, as you can see from my images at totalqualityphoto.com.) However, before I make the switch, I have the following questions for you D7100 users, if I may...
1. In general, can you see a difference in image sharpness from the D5200? (If not, why then did Nikon remove the OLPF?)
2. Is the battery life better in Live View mode than that of the D5200?
3. With regard to the AF Fine Tune function, how often is that necessary with new AIS G Nikkor optics, to ensure optimum sharpness from each lens?
Thank you very much for your expert insights into the awesome D7100. Regards, Steve

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 23-May-13 06:08 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 Live View Mirror Slap ?"
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

The D7100 is sharper but whether you can see a difference is another matter. The display medium, cropping, technique, subject and post all have to be optimum for you to see it in normal sized prints/screen at normal viewing distances. Having sharper data however allows more flexibility in post and display choices.
The same advantages exist for the D800e over other cameras, where it is up to the photographer and how he handles the whole process of capture, processing and display as to whether anyone sees a difference. Regardless of what is seen, it is there. You will certainly see in at 100% crops however if capture was good.

I will defer the battery life question to those who have tested it and measured it using LV. I know the D7000 is incredibly frugal with electrons. I seldom check battery condition before heading off for a day or all night shooting at an event. My D800 however is nowhere as easy on batteries.

Fine tuning would change only when physical conditions change, say with wear on the lens or focus mirror angle drifting. Both of those would be items to test if a lens or the camera was dropped on a hard surface but not a concern with normal shooting. Fine tuning is for creating an offset to the AF servo after noticing real world subjects consistently out of focus in the same way. If oof is random or light source color temperature related, tuning would make it worse for shots in other conditions.

If you are shooting primarily on a very sturdy tripod, use only top quality lenses, use mup and good lighting of fine textured subjects, the D7100 would be better. If these conditions are not present, it might not be any better because all these elements contribute to perceived sharpness.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25650 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.