Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25641
View in linear mode

Subject: "D 7000 Interval shooting hint" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Mon 25-Mar-13 01:54 AM
3534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D 7000 Interval shooting hint"
Mon 25-Mar-13 01:55 AM by Nikon32250

St. Augustine, US

I was playing around with the intervalometer tonight while I was trying to shoot some star trails. Instead of taking multiple 30" shots it only took two. I realized afterward that the problem was caused because I had the camera set up to only wait 5" between shots. Apparently one must set the interval between shots to be a few seconds longer than the shutter setting. I shot some test images in the house using that setup and it worked fine.

I'm thinking that the reason for this is that as soon as the shutter releases it starts the countdown clock to the next release. If the interval time is less than the shutter speed it's going to try and fire another shot before the prior one is "done".

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D 7000 Interval shooting hint
kuzzy Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
aolander Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
kuzzy Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
Wolphin Silver Member
26th Mar 2013
Tucsonmr2
26th Mar 2013

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Mon 25-Mar-13 02:13 AM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D 7000 Interval shooting hint"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

I believe that you are correct. I read a warning about this somewhere, I think it was in Tom hogans guide. Be careful with long exposure NR as well as this adds time that must be accounted for as well.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Mon 25-Mar-13 11:59 AM
3534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D 7000 Interval shooting hint"
In response to Reply # 3

St. Augustine, US

The menu is also confusing because you have to input "intervals X no. of shots". One would assume that if I wanted 100 shots that I would enter that data in the "no. of shots" field. However, the maximum it will go to is 9! In fact, if one wants 100 shots you have to input that data under "intervals". It is not at all intuitive.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 25-Mar-13 02:14 PM
3201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D 7000 Interval shooting hint"
In response to Reply # 4

Nevis, US

The "No. of Shots" is the number of shots taken at each interval.

Alan

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Mon 25-Mar-13 03:04 PM
#6. "RE: D 7000 Interval shooting hint"
In response to Reply # 5

St. Augustine, US

>The "No. of Shots" is the number of shots taken at
>each interval.

Just seems a little couter-intuitive.

Graham

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Mon 25-Mar-13 10:37 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D 7000 Interval shooting hint"
In response to Reply # 6

Milford, US

I would agree with you Graham. You really have to read the manual and set it up carefully.

I was taking a time lapse of a recent snow storm where we were expected to receive in the range of 18-24 inches of snow. I had the camera set up looking out the window out to a deck in the back of the house. At about 1:00 am I checked on the camera and noticed that the snow was building up on the window and would soon cover the camera's view out the window. I raised the tripod just a bit to allow it to go all night without interference and noticed that I had exposure compensation on. I corrected that and checked a couple of other settings and went back to bed. Little did I know that I had paused the camera so it did not take another shot for the rest of the night. The reason for the long story is that if you do happen to adjust anything in mid stream make sure that you have not put the camera on pause as it doesn't exactly jump up and bite you if you do.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Mon 25-Mar-13 11:14 PM
#8. "RE: D 7000 Interval shooting hint"
In response to Reply # 7

St. Augustine, US

Marc is exactly right. The interval shooting options can be very useful and add to your creativity, but you do have to be very careful with setting it up. My recommendation is that you try out different options with non-critical situations so that when the big moment comes you can do so with comfort.

Later on this year I hope to get back to the Kennedy Space Center and set up a remote camera close to the launch pad using the interval timer. It is really a bummer when you go to retrieve your camera, hoping to get some great rocket launch shots, only to find that the camera never fired at all. I had that happen to me once with a shuttle launch. Lucky for me the launch was scrubbed which allowed me to correct my mistake and get some great shots the next day.

Graham

Wolphin Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2012Tue 26-Mar-13 03:30 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D 7000 Interval shooting hint"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

I picked up a 3rd Party remote via ebay that can set up the intervals itself, and just have to set the camera to a single shot mode. I find it is much, much easier to use (and can do much longer shots than the 30s the camera can)!

I recommend getting the wireless one, as then if you are doing long exposures, it allows you to check it without needing to move anything attached to the camera! The delay starts after the long exposure closes (if you have long-exposure noise reduction enabled, it will include that in the delay.) Having wireless, also means you now have a remote trigger when you want to take shots, and don't need to worry about a cable.

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Tue 26-Mar-13 11:47 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D 7000 Interval shooting hint"
In response to Reply # 9

AU

have you got a link to this wireless remote you have purchased
cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80080326@N04

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25641 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.