Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25585
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Setting Question" Previous topic | Next topic
GAFan Registered since 01st Feb 2013Sat 23-Mar-13 04:09 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Setting Question"

Rome, US

Hello, I just received my new D7100. I am a newbie but I love this camera!
I have a question, my daughter is going to be in a pageant, it will be in a school auditorium, low lighting situation. Can someone help me with what settings to use? Thanks!

I am in the process of reading the manual but the pageant is tonight..lol

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

wlwakefield Registered since 21st Jan 2007Sat 23-Mar-13 06:11 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Setting Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Irving, US

You'll definitely want a big flash like the sb800 or a fast lens (2.8 or even 1.8).

ISO will need to be fairly high most likely.

http://www.wlwakefield.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 23-Mar-13 06:39 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Setting Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Hello, I just received my new D7100. I am a newbie but I
>love this camera!
>I have a question, my daughter is going to be in a pageant, it
>will be in a school auditorium, low lighting situation. Can
>someone help me with what settings to use? Thanks!
>
>I am in the process of reading the manual but the pageant is
>tonight..lol

Shoot RAW. Set the ISO to 3200. You can leave White Balance on AUTO, as I'm guessing you're not comfortable with setting it on scene...

Go ahead and use Program, and be watchful if the camera is indicating there's not enough light, in which case, boost ISO to 6400.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Sat 23-Mar-13 06:47 PM
504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Setting Question"
In response to Reply # 0

walkertown, US

since your a begginer and the pageant is tonight I would suggest to put it in P mode and choose the largest aperture it allows you.that means the smallest number.use your 50mm lens if you can get close enough.put the white balance in auto and the iso in auto.hold the camera as steady as possible and hope for the best.I see that you have capture NX2 so save pics in jpeg and raw.you have a lot of camera there so enjoy it and practice and study. Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25585 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.