Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25578
View in linear mode

Subject: "flash sync speed" Previous topic | Next topic
micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Sat 23-Mar-13 01:11 PM
504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"flash sync speed"

walkertown, US

with the d7000 and high speed sync turned on and a sb800 flash,does that mean I can use any shutter speed right up to 1/8000s and still get good flash coverage?if this is correct,then why is there a maximum sync speed of 320? thanks, Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: flash sync speed
luckyphoto Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
micro Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
blw Moderator
23rd Mar 2013
micro Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Mar 2013

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 23-Mar-13 01:51 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: flash sync speed"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 23-Mar-13 01:59 PM by luckyphoto

Port Charlotte, US

Above normal flash synch speeds the speedlight will quickly pulse in order to provide even light across the image as the gap between the front curtain and rear curtain moves across the sensor. That significantly reduces flash output power which subsequently reduces the maximum effective distance of the flash to subject.

Nikonian Russ MacDonald has a great article on Auto FP that you should read. It will explain the limitations above 1/250th with a speedlight.

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/03/10-auto-fp-high-speed-sync-explained.html

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Sat 23-Mar-13 03:58 PM
504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: flash sync speed"
In response to Reply # 1

walkertown, US

thanks for the link Larry.that sunk in better than what I have been reading so far.now I understand why everyone praised the d-70 with its 1/500th sync speed.I just upgraded to a d7000 and now my plans are to learn how to take control of my sb-800. Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 23-Mar-13 03:11 PM
26291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: flash sync speed"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Additionally, it's more or less the case that once the shutter speed exceeds the regular maximum sync speed (1/250th, I think 1/320th only works at reduced power with the internal flash?), flash is pretty much only good for fill. I can barely ever use high speed sync flash as a primary light source.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Sat 23-Mar-13 04:19 PM
#4. "RE: flash sync speed"
In response to Reply # 2

walkertown, US

I'm a little confused but if I'm understanding my manual at 1/250s with high speed sync turned on I would still get reduced flash compared to 1/250s without high speed sync.if thats the case then I'm keeping it turned off untill I need it.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 23-Mar-13 04:28 PM
24996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: flash sync speed"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Troy,

>with the d7000 and high speed sync turned on and a sb800
>flash,does that mean I can use any shutter speed right up to
>1/8000s and still get good flash coverage?

It depends on how close you are to your subject and the ambient light level.

FP high speed sync mode is useful for fill flash when shooting in bright daylight conditions when your subject is close (within 5 - 15 feet of the Speedlight).
The higher the shutter speed the shorter the range.

>if this is correct,then why is there a maximum sync speed of 320?

The maximum sync speed of the D7000 is actually 1/250th sec. so with the shutter speed set at 1/250th or slower the flash will provide maximum range.
At 1/320th S (Auto FP) mode the maximum range is slightly less than at 1/250th sec since a the tail end of the flash is lost due to the rear curtain closing. It will still provide a little more range at 1/320th sec. than if You had 1/250th S (Auto FP) mode selected and shot at 1/320th sec. in FP high speed sync mode.

If you want to freeze fast moving subjects using flash, you should under expose for ambient by about 3 stops and let the short flash duration freeze your subjects motion using the maximum sync speed of 1/250th sec.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25578 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.