Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25557
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Images taken today" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Fri 22-Mar-13 08:29 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Images taken today"

Ottawa, CA

I got the camera yesterday. Was able to go for a test today. I took several pictures but I think the best were those shot at the 1.3 crop factor with fill flash.

Converted to Tiff in NXview, Minimal processing in Lightroom (exposure, sharpening, and lens correction - it recognized the lens!). Then down sized in PS6, only the last one was cropped. All taken with the 70-200 VRII, VR on.

As tests go I am satisfied this is going to work for me. Need to work on a few things, I have a few questions to look into, but I am pleased.

200mm F8 at 1/1500

200m F8/ 1/250

Cropped 190mm at f8 at 1/250th

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 Images taken today
richardd300 Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
VR8 Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
23rd Mar 2013
VR8 Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
23rd Mar 2013
TomNJ Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
23rd Mar 2013
VR8 Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
23rd Mar 2013
VR8 Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Mar 2013

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 22-Mar-13 09:54 PM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 0

Dyserth, GB

Thanks for the images, looks good. I was supposed to have my D7100 delivered today, but all deliveries were cancelled due to snow, tomorrow too. Monday now, then get down to testing.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Fri 22-Mar-13 09:59 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 22-Mar-13 09:59 PM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

I recall when snow was rare in UK. Last time this year in Ottawa it was 25C, today's its minus 11 or some such nonsense with snow everywhere, hard packed at the nature reserve where these shots were taken. Good luck with the mail!. I am sure it will be worth the wait! The feel is solid like my D300!

Victor

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 23-Mar-13 06:01 AM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 2

Dyserth, GB

<< I recall when snow was rare in UK.>>

So do we, yet this is the 3rd really cold (for us) winter in 4 years. When it isn't snowing it's raining and the last 4 summers have been atrocious. The Met Office said it is just unusual weather to begin with, now admit it's probably climate change!

I have the D7000 and D800 and am pleased you say the D7100 is ergonomically more like a D300. That will suit me.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 23-Mar-13 07:50 AM
#5. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 4

Ottawa, CA

I have a D300 and D7000, no temptation yet for full frame. I agree this is like the D300. I miss the two button back, but after the D7000 its okay. I have to figure out the changes in Flash and in Auto ISO to see if these will be useful for me. I am glad they kept easy ISO.
Good luck with the weather!

Victor

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 23-Mar-13 08:43 AM
#6. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 5

Dyserth, GB

Yes, the big omission for me is the AF-ON button and despite what people say the re-assignment of the AE-L/AF-L button just doesn't do the job for me. So, I keep to shutter press focusing. I always use AF-on on my D800! It's another small addition left out that confirms to me that along with faster buffering Nikon will bring out the D400, probably in September.

Richard

TomNJ Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Sat 23-Mar-13 02:01 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 6

Parlin, US

The AF-ON function can also be assigned to the Fn and Preview buttons if you find them more convenient.

TomNJ

Please visit my Nikonian Gallery

Victorian Watercolors

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 23-Mar-13 02:28 PM
#8. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 7

Dyserth, GB

Thanks Thom, but I use the Fn button for virtual horizon for tripod landscapes and could change that. I just find on my D800 the AF-ON button is in such a convenient place.

Richard

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 23-Mar-13 04:25 PM
#9. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 8

Ottawa, CA

I think this is where the new options come in. I use the AE-L/AF-L for AF-on and its placed perfectly for this in continuous focus.
I could program the FN button for AE-L (hold) and use the I button on the back for the horizon when on a tripod.

Next on my list is looking at the auto ISO changes - I like the easy ISO function, but if auto iso works now, maybe I can use it without the system opting for the highest ISO as a first resort as it does in the D7000.

Victor

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 23-Mar-13 05:01 PM
#10. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 9

Dyserth, GB

I must admit I never use auto ISO as I find I get caught out when my eye feels that e.g. ISO800 is enough, but the camera sees e.g. ISO1600! It's too easy to get high ISO noise.

Richard

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 23-Mar-13 05:13 PM
#11. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 23-Mar-13 05:24 PM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

The settings in the D7100 are like the D800, you can set a max and it does not go beyond that max and you can set shutter sped for focal length. I am going to see how this works. I did not like the way it worked on the D7000, it seemed to go high automatically.

Added after test: In Auto Shutter speed, I don't see the camera sticking to the focal length and when it hits the max ISO you set, it lowers the shutter speed. When I set the shutter speed at 1/1000th, when it hits the maximum ISO I set it starts lowering the shutter speed. I would have preferred the ISO to go up. The only option is to set a high ISO.

I will probably go back to easy ISO for instances when I want to maintain a high shutter speed and have control over the Fstop.

Victor

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 22-Mar-13 10:27 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Crisp and compelling...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 23-Mar-13 10:49 PM
25732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7100 Images taken today"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Victor,

Congratulations on your new D7100.
Very nice images.
Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25557 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.