Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25485
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 command dial fix?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikonlad62 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2005Thu 21-Mar-13 02:06 PM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 command dial fix?"

Baltimore, US

Someone on this forum suggested a fix for the command and sub-command dials that turn too easily, but I can't find it. Can someone help?

Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 21-Mar-13 02:22 PM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 command dial fix?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I seem to recall someone sent in their D7000 for service (maybe on that perception) and the main mode dial came back with a slightly stiffer detent.

The D7100 adds a central, press/unlock button. It's easy to use, though I didn't feel the D7000 had a real issue (I did, though, get into the habit of glancing at the mode dial if I had to yank the camera out of my bag). Only then did I notice the chance that the mode dial might have been inadvertently shifted.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 21-Mar-13 04:38 PM
1905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 command dial fix?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 21-Mar-13 05:56 PM by elec164

US

Perhaps this post is the one you were referring to.

He used heat shrink tube.

Pete

Edited to add:

OOOPS! Miss read this to mean mode dial, not command and sub-command dial. But now that I think about it, I don't recall anyone mentioning a DYI fix other than sending it of for service for those dials.

Nikonlad62 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2005Fri 22-Mar-13 01:49 PM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 command dial fix?"
In response to Reply # 2

Baltimore, US

Thanks for the replies. I'll see if Nikon service can tighten the dials the next time I send the camera in for cleaning. Shrink tubing good idea, also.

Bob

sduck409 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2013Sat 23-Mar-13 01:57 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 command dial fix?"
In response to Reply # 3

Nashville, US

You can't put heat shrink tubing on the front or rear command dials, at least not without disassembling the camera. These are the ones on the right as you're holding the camera in front of you, below the shutter release and immediately behind it on the back of the body. Also sometimes referred to as the main and sub command dials.

Theoretically I suppose you could put some heat shrink tubing on the mode dial, the one above the release mode dial, and if you're lucky it'll engage the little white nib thing enough to tighten up the dial without binding it, but it sounds like a #### shoot, and I don't actually think that's the dial you're having problems with.

Actually the reason I'm posting this is because there seems to be some confusion about what these various knobs and dials are called.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25485 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.