Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25418
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode" Previous topic | Next topic
Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Tue 19-Mar-13 11:06 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"

El Sobrante, US

I just received my D7100 and can't get it to let me select the focus point. I have it set to aperture priority, AF-S, 51 points, auto-ISO, RAW, and auto WB, with the mode dial on S. On the top LCD, just below and to the left of the icon showing matrix metering, there is a solid icon with 'auto' displayed. I don't know whether that indicates anything, but I wonder if it somehow means that the camera will choose the AF point(s). The manual says that pressing the OK button while the exposure meter is on will go to the central point, but that doesn't work either. When I half-depress the shutter button, several focus points generally illuminate, and I can control any of the point selection myself. I hope the problem is with me and not the camera, but I can't seem to find the answer on my own. Anyone with a D7100 in hand that can help? Thanks. By the way, I am coming from a D90.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode
martinjp
20th Mar 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
20th Mar 2013
martinjp
25th Mar 2013
jonmcguffin
20th Mar 2013
Techrod
06th Apr 2013
Huda
04th Jun 2013
wwt67 Silver Member
20th Mar 2013
Snappo Silver Member
24th Mar 2013
HobokenJoe
25th Mar 2013
jlsmmc1
23rd May 2013
Brubish Gold Member
05th Jun 2013
JosephK Silver Member
05th Jun 2013

martinjp Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Wed 20-Mar-13 12:02 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Toby,

Press the focus mode button and spin the sub-command wheel (front) it will be set to auto, rotate to change it to "S" manual page 74.

This threw me too.

Jim

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Wed 20-Mar-13 12:07 AM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 1

El Sobrante, US

Hi, Jim. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I must have read that page a dozen times and didn't manage to translate Nikon's text into anything meaningful. At first glance, this manual strikes me as being less informative than it might be. I think Digital Darrel will sell a lot of Guides to the D7100 when he gets around to writing one.

martinjp Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Mon 25-Mar-13 12:53 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 25-Mar-13 01:18 AM by martinjp

US

>Hi, Jim. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I must have read
>that page a dozen times and didn't manage to translate Nikon's
>text into anything meaningful. At first glance, this manual
>strikes me as being less informative than it might be. I think
>Digital Darrel will sell a lot of Guides to the D7100 when he
>gets around to writing one.

Your welcome Toby. I'm also coming from a D90. Other than this it has been a pretty easy transition. Looking forward to spring. It's been cloudy and nothing is green here so I haven't gotten any pictures that are clearly better than my D90. The real test comes in a couple weeks when head out to Oceanside to see our new twin grandsons.

You're right the manuals leave a lot to be desired. I'll also be looking for a third party guide.

Jim

jonmcguffin Registered since 16th Mar 2013Wed 20-Mar-13 12:18 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Hi Toby,
>
>Press the focus mode button and spin the sub-command wheel
>(front) it will be set to auto, rotate to change it to
>"S" manual page 74.
>
>This threw me too.
>
>Jim

Yep, this one got me as well. Funny you don't expect that kind of change and nobody really mentions it. But I got my going as well and we're good.

Techrod Registered since 06th Apr 2013Sat 06-Apr-13 11:05 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 4

FR

Thanks - I had been struggling with this a couple of hours and even wondered if my camera wasn't working properly. Re-read page 74 of manual (after this tip) and I still think you have to be almost clairvoyant or used to how Nikon does this to understand how to select the focus points. D7100 book writers - this is an area to focus on.

Huda Registered since 04th Jun 2013Tue 04-Jun-13 08:56 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 1

EG

Thank you soo much!!! I had just received my camera and started playing around with it, upgraded from the D5000. And really, I had started to panic and wasn't going to sleep until I had it figured out

Thank you, Jim!

Huda

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 20-Mar-13 12:18 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Warsaw, US

If you have it set to AF-S, your only focus point options are Auto or single point. Only in single point can you move the focus point.

The Auto icon you refer to means the camera is in auto mode, not aperture.

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Sun 24-Mar-13 07:01 PM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 24-Mar-13 07:03 PM by Snappo

Tulsa, US

WOW, this makes me wonder how I ever got my D600 to single point, when the D7100 has been throwing me for a loop. Bet I spent over an hour just being frustrated. Must have been attacked by senioritis Thanks, Jim

an old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

HobokenJoe Registered since 20th Jun 2012Mon 25-Mar-13 07:37 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 5

Teaneck, US

Well i learned something about my camera just by reading this thread

jlsmmc1 Registered since 23rd May 2013Thu 23-May-13 12:15 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Than you...thank you....just picked up my 7100 today after using a D200 for almost 7 years....what a difference in operating procedures.... the question asked was EXACTLY what i was looking for....354 pages of hard to read manual....does not really help...

...j.

Brubish Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2013Wed 05-Jun-13 10:44 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 9

Gloucester, GB

>...354 pages of hard to read manual....does
>not really help...
>

I think most of us have read and read and re-read the manual chapter on focus.

The terms used for AF-S, Single Mode sometimes called Single Servo Mode and the term AF-S meaning AF Area mode Single Point sometimes called Single Focus Point Mode (did I get that right?) took me a while to swallow.

Once the penny drops though, isn't the D7100 a delight to use!

Brian

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 05-Jun-13 08:13 PM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 11

Seattle, WA, US

>and the term AF-S meaning AF Area mode Single Point
>sometimes called Single Focus Point Mode

Can't say I have ever seen "af-s" refer to "Single Point" before.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25418 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.