Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25405
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Buffer tests" Previous topic | Next topic
Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Wed 20-Mar-13 01:41 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Buffer tests"
Tue 19-Mar-13 06:53 PM by Kjdnikon

Batavia, US

Hi All,

Many have asked about buffer capacity. I thought I would share some actual tests using 3 different memory cards I have. These tests were run with camera defaults for all except the image size and FPS (frames per second) on CLS. The test is based on the number of captures before the camera hit the buffer limit and slowed down.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/247097.doc

I was shocked to see the very inexpensive PNY 20mb/s outperformed the SanDisk 45 mb/s when used in RAW compressed mode. The SanDisk 30mb/s was very disappointing so I stopped the test. I didn't want to use up my 150k shutter actuations for this.

Highlights for me were 1.3 Crop JPG fine large capturing 33 images before slowdown. Over a 5 second burst of continuous shooting.

I would like anyone to share results using a similar test with different cards.... especially higher speed ones.

Happy Shooting,
Kerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 20-Mar-13 09:01 AM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Buffer tests"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

A note about the file... although it downloads from Nikonians as a .doc file, it's really a .docx file. You may need to rename it as such to get it to open on some systems.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 20-Mar-13 09:06 AM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Buffer tests"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Thanks, that's interesting. I'd love to see number for the 12-bit RAW modes.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25405 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.