Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25367
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 questions." Previous topic | Next topic
LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Mon 18-Mar-13 11:04 PM
758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 questions."

Houston, Texas, US

When using a non cpu lens, does iTTL flash work? Does this body have AF fine tune? How many non cpu lenses can you enter? It looks like there may not be a replacement for the D300(s), at least not anytime soon, so maybe I should look into a D7000 for a second body.

Bill

**D7100** D300, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 Photomic, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN, and a few non Nikons

So many cameras, so little time....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 questions.
elec164 Silver Member
18th Mar 2013
LightMeter Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
LightMeter Silver Member
24th Mar 2013
briantilley Moderator
24th Mar 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
24th Mar 2013

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 18-Mar-13 11:41 PM
1988 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 questions."
In response to Reply # 0

US

>When using a non cpu lens, does iTTL flash work?

I don't have any non-CPU lenses, but the manual seems to suggest it should if you enter the focal length and f-stop information.

> Does this body have AF fine tune?

Yes it does.

>How many non cpu lenses can you enter?

Up to 9.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Sat 23-Mar-13 02:10 AM
758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 questions."
In response to Reply # 1

Houston, Texas, US

Thanks Pete.

Bill

**D7100** D300, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 Photomic, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN, and a few non Nikons

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Sat 23-Mar-13 06:59 AM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 questions."
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

I've used iTTL flash with non-cpu lenses, it works fine.

my website

LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Sun 24-Mar-13 06:54 AM
#4. "RE: D7000 questions."
In response to Reply # 3

Houston, Texas, US

Today I was in the local camera shop. An employee said the D7000 and 7100 must have AIS lenses to meter and AI lenses will not. I don't see how that could be possible. The little scoop cut out on the AIS lenses mean nothing to today's bodies.

Bill

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 24-Mar-13 08:19 AM
28771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 questions."
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, GB

>Today I was in the local camera shop. An employee said the
>D7000 and 7100 must have AIS lenses to meter and AI lenses
>will not. I don't see how that could be possible.

It isn't possible - you were misinformed at the shop.

AI and AI-S will offer exectly the same metering capabilities on a D7000 (or D7100) - i.e. you get Spot, CW or Colour Matrix (but not 3D Colour Matrix), in Aperture Priority or Manual. Just add the lens details to the Non-CPU Lens section via the menus

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 24-Mar-13 01:16 PM
2959 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 questions."
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Bill, you won't have any problem using your AI or AIS lenses in iTTL mode. But you may see a difference in which iTTL mode you use. With the cameras metering set to Matrix or Center weighed, a flash like the D800 or D900 will go into balanced fill flash, iTTL-BL. In this mode the flash, body and distance info from a D or G lens will try and balance the background of the scene to the main target. With a non-CPU lens there is no distance info available so the exposure may not be perfect. In many cases I get under exposure using iTTL-BL mode.

If you put the cameras meter in Spot mode, iTTL-BL is disabled and the flash goes into standard iTTL mode. In this mode I find my flash exposures are much more accurate when using non-CPU lenses. This seems to be true if I use a D300, D700, D3X or D800. I don't have a D7000/D7100 yet but plan to replace my D300 with the D7100.

Len

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25367 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.