Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25364
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ordered Nikon D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
GAFan Registered since 01st Feb 2013Mon 18-Mar-13 10:22 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ordered Nikon D7100"

Rome, US

Well, I ordered the D7100.
I have been debating the purchase but from the reviews I have seen so far, Nikon may have hit it out of the park this time..

I should have mine on Thursday. I can't wait to get it.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ordered Nikon D7100
HobokenJoe
18th Mar 2013
efd123 Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
Pugzilla Gold Member
19th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
jonmcguffin
19th Mar 2013
cgossett
19th Mar 2013
Pugzilla Gold Member
20th Mar 2013
jonmcguffin
20th Mar 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
20th Mar 2013
Pugzilla Gold Member
20th Mar 2013

HobokenJoe Registered since 20th Jun 2012Mon 18-Mar-13 10:24 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ordered Nikon D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Teaneck, US

Yep got one on order with B&H waiting for it now.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Tue 19-Mar-13 01:20 AM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ordered Nikon D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Eldridge, US

Same here, I can't wait. Mine arrives tomorrow

Dave

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Tue 19-Mar-13 01:46 AM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ordered Nikon D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Boca Raton, US

I've had mine since Friday. I think you all will be highly impressed. Since I don't use Nikon software, I can't take advantage of the NEF, so I'm shooting JPG large/ fine/ optimal quality. I would like to say at this point that I know of no other (Nikon) DSLR that will work at/for so many levels of photography/photographers at such a high quality.

The only 2 DX lenses I've got down in FL now are the 35 mm. f/1.8 and the 1st iteration of the 18-200 mm. f/variable (Japan/Red VR). Very pleased with standard ISO and flash so far; next for me is some high ISO work, and some FX lens work.

BTW, does anyone know of some RAW program besides Nikon's that can translated the Nikon RAW files? I use Adobe PS CS6, and the new RAW release candidate (7.4) doesn't include the D7100.

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 19-Mar-13 11:37 AM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ordered Nikon D7100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>
>BTW, does anyone know of some RAW program besides Nikon's that
>can translated the Nikon RAW files? I use Adobe PS CS6, and
>the new RAW release candidate (7.4) doesn't include the
>D7100.
>

You probably know this, but the VIEW NX2 that came with your camera, or is downloadable from Nikon, will convert NEFs into TIFFs, which could then be imported into Adobe...

Great camera, eh?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jonmcguffin Registered since 16th Mar 2013Tue 19-Mar-13 01:30 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Ordered Nikon D7100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Mine will be here today!

cgossett Registered since 21st Jan 2013Tue 19-Mar-13 02:07 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Ordered Nikon D7100"
In response to Reply # 3

Victoria, US

>BTW, does anyone know of some RAW program besides Nikon's that
>can translated the Nikon RAW files? I use Adobe PS CS6, and
>the new RAW release candidate (7.4) doesn't include the
>D7100.

Nikon Rumors posted a link here:http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51099174
describing how to easily hack the EXIF data to fool CS6 into accepting the raw files.

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Wed 20-Mar-13 01:56 AM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Ordered Nikon D7100"
In response to Reply # 6

Boca Raton, US

Thanks for the tips, CG and BillD. Since my computer hacking skills and knowledge are not demonstrably better than those of a rainbow trout, I loaded View NX2.7.3 from the accompanying disc, and converted the NEF's to TIFF's. Marginal improvement over the large/fine/optimal quality jpg's, so I'll wait until Adobe decides to add support for the D7100 to their release candidate 7.4.

I really think Nikon's got a winner here - this is a camera that can give you great images whether you are a beginner or a long-time, highly expert photographer. It's just not for those people who need a larger buffer.

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

jonmcguffin Registered since 16th Mar 2013Wed 20-Mar-13 02:36 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Ordered Nikon D7100"
In response to Reply # 7

US

My initial impressions after about 70+ shots is that this is indeed a very nice camera. Best way I can describe it to say it's very "refined" over the D7000.

Early returns are that I'm not seeing great gains in ISO performance that I thought I was going to see based on reviews around the internet, etc. I wouldn't say it's bad news, the camera is performing fine here.

The good news is that the LCD on the back of the camera is a vast improvement. AF is improved not just in speed but the area coverage is so much better.

Many small things are adding up on this camera. Very happy!

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 20-Mar-13 11:42 AM
691 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Ordered Nikon D7100"
In response to Reply # 7

Port Charlotte, US

The reason it takes other applications a while to provide a RAW import capability is that Nikon won't provide the RAW file data. All the companies like Adobe and Apple have to reverse-engineer the RAW interpretation software accurately and that takes some time.

It appears the "hack" mentioned earlier fools the application into thinking the RAW file came from another Nikon camera such as the D5200. That probably won't be accurate. While both the D5200 and the D7100 use the EXCEED 3 processing engine, the sensors are different, which will produce RAW files with different characteristics.

The current option, until others successfully reverse-engineer a solution, is to use ViewNX2 and save as a 16-bit TIFF for import to other applications.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Wed 20-Mar-13 11:08 PM
#10. "RE: Ordered Nikon D7100"
In response to Reply # 9

Boca Raton, US

>The current option, until others successfully reverse-engineer
>a solution, is to use ViewNX2 and save as a 16-bit TIFF for
>import to other applications.

...which is exactly what I'm doing. Thanks.

Walter

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25364 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.