Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25352
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 screen protector advice" Previous topic | Next topic
nsolo2 Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Mon 18-Mar-13 05:35 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 screen protector advice"

US

Could someone suggest a quality screen protector for the D7100? I was surprised that one was not provided by Nikon. The design of the new D7100 differs from the D7000 in that I don't believe that a clip on protector could be utilized. I may be wrong.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 screen protector advice
billD80 Silver Member
18th Mar 2013
nsolo2
18th Mar 2013
jbloom Gold Member
18th Mar 2013
Squirri Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
24th Mar 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
25th Mar 2013
BrianNK
29th Mar 2013
29th Mar 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
nsolo2
17th Apr 2013
nsolo2
30th Apr 2013
mklass Platinum Member
30th Apr 2013
billD80 Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
30th Apr 2013
Clint S Silver Member
05th May 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
05th May 2013
Omaha
06th May 2013
07th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
07th May 2013

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 18-Mar-13 06:21 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Could someone suggest a quality screen protector for the
>D7100? I was surprised that one was not provided by Nikon. The
>design of the new D7100 differs from the D7000 in that I don't
>believe that a clip on protector could be utilized. I may be
>wrong.

I ordered a GGS stick-on glass screen overlay sized for a D600, which was told is the same size... I used the same type for my D7000 and was totally won over. It was miles better than the plastic snap-on thing.

However, since receiving the D7100, I may forgo the screen protector. Why? Because I suspect the only reason Nikon didn't include a protector is because the glass built-in is adequate for the job (Gorilla Glass). I have to believe they'd go this way, or they'd have supplied something.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

nsolo2 Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Mon 18-Mar-13 06:40 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 1

US

If its true that Gorilla Glass is used for the D7100 screen, that would be great. Does anyone know if that is true?

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 18-Mar-13 06:43 PM
6060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 1

Wethersfield, US

>However, since receiving the D7100, I may forgo the screen
>protector. Why? Because I suspect the only reason Nikon
>didn't include a protector is because the glass built-in is
>adequate for the job (Gorilla Glass). I have to believe
>they'd go this way, or they'd have supplied something.

That was my reasoning for not getting a cover when I got my D3. After bouncing it around countless playing fields, so far it is unmarred. I suppose the jury is still out, though... it has been only five years.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Squirri Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2012Sat 23-Mar-13 03:00 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

I bought the Neewer GGS ones for my D7000. Very pleased with them(you get back and top panel protectors). The Nikon plastic one was scratched beyond belief in a very short time. Not sure if they do one for the 7100 but if they do they are worth a look(mine cost GBP6 from Amazon)

res ipsa loquitur

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Sun 24-Mar-13 12:55 AM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I bought Hoodman "Super Hoodskins" (Model: SHSK XL) at my local Calumet for $12.99. There are 2 of them in the pack. The height is perfect for the D7100 and when you trim the width to size, the leftover end is the correct width for the top screen with a little left over.

The Hoodskins are perfectly optically clear and glossy. There is no glue - they just stick. (Be sure the screen is clean and free of lint or you will see it when it is applied. Bottom line: It worked great for me - at least for the time being, there is protection on the screen.

BTW - I even used the ZAGG protective cover for my Gorilla Glass smart phone and tablets. G-Glass is great stuff, but it CAN be scratched.

I am waiting to check out another style of Hoodman protector made of anti-glare glass. They have them for other models of camera, but not for the D7100 yet.

Hope this helps...

Bob

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 25-Mar-13 06:28 PM
3302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 25-Mar-13 06:29 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

I received my D7100 today and overall I am really pleased. When i read the spec before ordering I must have missed somewhere the omitting of a screen protector. I am a bit disappointed, as I feel, gorilla glass or not, Nikon should in my view have provided one!

I definitely want to protect the screen, so does the GGS adhesive protector fit the D7100 please. If so I shall order one. I don't know if the silicon D7000 camera covers fits the D7100 but as a wildlife photographer my kit is likely to suffer some slight scratching.

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 25-Mar-13 06:54 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>I definitely want to protect the screen, so does the GGS
>adhesive protector fit the D7100 please. If so I shall order
>one. I don't know if the silicon D7000 camera covers fits the
>D7100 but as a wildlife photographer my kit is likely to
>suffer some slight scratching.
>
>Richard.

I'm sending the GGS D600 protector (that would have fit my D7100) to someone else, because I've decided to go with what the D7100 has, as is...

2 reasons: I have confidence that Nikon has confidence, or they're crazy. Second, the D7100 screen is flush with the surrounding body casing. Yes, there will be a GGS (which is a great option that I installed on my D7000), but installing it means it will run above the main surface of the back body panel.

I'm not afraid to use my camera... Whatever Nikon has installed, I think they must be very confident that it will hold up to impact -- AS WELL AS A PLASTIC/EXTERIOR INSTALLED PROTECTED LCD WOULD... If they aren't, they have no business shipping the body without a protector...

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 25-Mar-13 07:01 PM
3302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 7

Dyserth, GB

Maybe Bill, but I take care, as does everyone, to keep my cameras in as pristine condition as possible. I am not thinking so much of major impact as no screen protector will prevent that, but superficial scratches. Anyway, I'm still hoping someone can confirm that the D600 will fit please.

Richard.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Fri 29-Mar-13 02:02 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I dusted off my vinyl cutter and made my own D7100 screen protector using an old unused iPad screen protector i had laying around.. It turned out better then i expected.

I'll post a picture when i get home.

If there is enough demand i could probably cut out a few more for just my cost (maybe ~$5 for 2 shipped?)

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 29-Mar-13 02:49 PM
#10. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 9

Dyserth, GB

Thanks.

<<If there is enough demand i could probably cut out a few more for just my cost (maybe ~$5 for 2 shipped?)>>

I love entrepreneurs

Richard

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Sat 30-Mar-13 09:56 AM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 5

Philadelphia, US

CORRECTION:

The glass protector is not Hoodman but Giotto.
Sorry for the mixup.

Bob

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Sat 30-Mar-13 04:44 PM
202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Alamos, US

It is my understanding that D7100 was not intended to have a clip-on screen protector, as there are no grooves to clip it on. Judging from my experience with D90 and the clip-on screen there I can say it did not do very good job. The clip-on protector leaves a small gap to the screen which lets small dust particles in. When the screen move very slightly these particles are being pressed to the screen and create small scratch marks.

So, I would agree with Nikon design change and use an adhesive protective screen similar to the ones used on the phones.
Some people like screen protectors on the smart-phones, some don't.
Your preference for the phone will probably be the same as for the camera.

nsolo2 Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Wed 17-Apr-13 05:01 PM
#13. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As a response to my own question, I have learned that the Zagg line of products now carries a protector for the D7100.

Zagg has a good reputation for quality products, so I ordered one today. I will offer a consumer opinion when it arrives and after I have it installed.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."
Mark Twain - Freemason

nsolo2 Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Tue 30-Apr-13 12:24 AM
#14. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 13

US

The Zagg protector arrived last week. There were two pieces, one for the read LCD screen, and a smaller one for the LCD panel on the top right of the camera.

They both had a perfect fit. The instructions told me to wash my hands, then spray them with the solution that was provided in the package.

Then, after removing the screen protector from the package, I had to spray the sticky side of the protector. Wetting the protector as instructed allowed me to easily slide it into place. I worked out a couple of air bubbles but a few small ones remained.

The instructions said not to worry, as within a day or two, they would disappear. They did.

So far, I'm happy with the product and would recommend it to other users.

If you Google "Zagg", you'll find the company's website where you can then enter your needs to be directed to the products they offer for your particular equipment.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."
Mark Twain - Freemason

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 01:50 AM
5818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 14

Tacoma, US

I ordered a Giottos protector from Berger Brothers when I recently got my D7100. It is a good fit, but does cover a bit of one edge of the screen. Since it is the left side with the icons in the menu, I'm not too worried about it. In a few months there micht be a better fit from GGS or Giottos. (My original D800 Giottos cover also was not a good fit, but6 months later there was a good replacement GGS available on Amazon.)

The D3, D3s and D4 all have tempered glass screens. Pretty close to indestructible adn certainly very difficult to scratch. I have never but a cover on my D3s, which is 3 years old and looks as good as new. But, I would not make the assumption that any other Nikon body uses tempered glass.

I do not like the film covers because of: bubbles, optical clarity and durability.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 30-Apr-13 12:20 PM
#17. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 15

US

But, I would not make the
>assumption that any other Nikon body uses tempered glass.

I don't know about other bodies, but with the glass flush to the surface, and no protector provided, I think Nikon is absolutely inviting owners to assume that "Gorilla Glass" is installed on the D7100.

Personally, I think it's another of the great finishing touches on the camera.

I loved my GGS glass overlay for the D7000, which looked like an OEM product (and allowed a view far better than the snap on protector). But I'm leaving my D7100 au naturel. I believe it was designed for that approach.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 30-Apr-13 06:22 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

After seeing an impressive demonstration of hardened Gorilla Glass II I stopped using the clip on protector on my D800. I had been told that newer models used that Corning product by a rep. It is easier to keep clean and the display looks better.
My Galaxy S3 phone I am writing this on using the same material had taken severe abuse and remains perfect.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Sun 05-May-13 06:20 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 16

Chula Vista, US

Nikon calls it "Scratch- and shock-resistant, reinforced glass is employed for the monitor surface.

*Equivalent to that utilized in the D4, D800 series and D600."

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/features01.htm

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sun 05-May-13 10:09 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 16
Sun 05-May-13 10:11 PM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

My Galaxy S3 screen still looks like new too, even though it's over a year old, been bashed, dropped and shared a pocket on numerous occasions with coins and keys. For the first time with a Nikon, my D7100 is going 'au naturel' - my thinking is that if Nikon didn't include a screen protector, then one isn't needed.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 06-May-13 01:34 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 19

Omaha, US

Back when I bought my D70 however many years ago that was, I decided then and there that I hated those protectors. My eyesight is bad enough without some cheezy piece of plastic getting in the way. Never used one. Never had a problem.

Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 07-May-13 05:47 AM
#21. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 20

Dyserth, GB

Paranoid or not, gorilla glass the rear screen maybe, but I bought the GGS D600 protector which fitted perfectly

Richard

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 07-May-13 11:56 AM
5818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice"
In response to Reply # 20

Tacoma, US

>Back when I bought my D70 however many years ago that was, I
>decided then and there that I hated those protectors. My
>eyesight is bad enough without some cheezy piece of plastic
>getting in the way. Never used one. Never had a problem.

Yes, the Nikon supplied plastic protectors are not useful for long as they scratch so easily. But we are talking about 3rd party glass protectors.

As for me, I be not had any issues with the unprotected screen on my D3s in over 3 years. If I'd known that the D7100 used a similar material, I would not have ordered a Giottos protector when I ordered the camera. Learned something new.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25352 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.