Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25322
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 and 1/3 crop" Previous topic | Next topic
francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Mon 18-Mar-13 10:13 AM
846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"D7100 and 1/3 crop"

Monroe, US

Anyone know if the IQ would be better in camera with the 1/3 crop than croping on the computer

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 and 1/3 crop
blw Moderator
18th Mar 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
18th Mar 2013
briantilley Moderator
18th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
18th Mar 2013
Reply message Well yes, in all likelihood...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
18th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Well yes, in all likelihood...
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Well yes, in all likelihood...
jbloom Gold Member
19th Mar 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 18-Mar-13 10:45 AM
26549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D7100 and 1/3 crop"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Cropping is simply deleting pixels. It doesn't matter how or where it's done: deleted is deleted.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 18-Mar-13 12:47 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 and 1/3 crop"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

In camera allows more fps.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 18-Mar-13 01:10 PM
28684 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 and 1/3 crop"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

That's true, but the question was about image quality.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 18-Mar-13 01:42 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 and 1/3 crop"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 18-Mar-13 01:50 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

>Anyone know if the IQ would be better in camera with the 1/3
>crop than croping on the computer

There's no difference. I prefer to crop in post because then I have a choice about which pixels to remove. By comparison, once a photo has been cropped in-camera, that's it. I can't put back pixels that weren't captured in the first place. Post-process cropping gives more choices.

To paraphrase the 14th century proverb: For want of more zoom, some pixels were lost. For want of more pixels, resolution was lost. For want of more resolution, some details were lost. For want of more details, some sharpness was lost. For want of more sharpness, the subject was lost. For want of a more recognizable subject, the photo was lost.

I always advise photographers to get closer and shoot tighter. Make a photo of the subject rather than everything surrounding it. Photographers should always zoom with their feet before they zoom with their lenses. If water is blocking the way, zoom with a small boat or buy some hip waders. If a fence blocks the way, ask permission to climb the fence and get closer. If crowds of people are blocking the view, get up higher. I think that photographers should always remove as much air between them and their subjects as possible.

Then again, sometimes we're as close as we can get, or it's a shot-of-a-lifetime-right-now sort of situation. or there's too much of a chance that getting any closer would disturb the subject(s). Then and only then is something like the D7100's 1.5X+1.3X crop mode recommended. It happens often enough I suppose.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 18-Mar-13 04:33 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Well yes, in all likelihood..."
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

Suppose I'm shooting birds in flight with my 300 f2.8 R in DX mode. Let's say for the sake of argument I'm at 1/1600 f5.6 ISO 500. As it happens, the bird is too far away, and I have to crop. Now, alternatively let's assume I'm shooting with the 1.3x crop. To get the same DOF I'll shoot at 1/1600 f4 ISO 250. This shot will be cleaner than the crop above. But note that if I intended to crop anyway I could have shot with the "full" DX frame and cropped in post. In theory: but it often doesn't work that way in practice.

Jim

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 19-Mar-13 12:32 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Well yes, in all likelihood..."
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

I played with the 1/3 crop at an indoor Equestrian Event.
The images are just as good as croping latter to the same size.
It saved me a lot of post processing.
15MP (good enough) takes less hard drive space and email easier.

Another thing to think of was that I used only the best (center)
of the glass in my old 70-200 lens.
This eliminated any vignetting
or other distracting edge items such as overhead lights.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 19-Mar-13 02:26 PM
6058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Well yes, in all likelihood..."
In response to Reply # 5

Wethersfield, US

Presumably if you are using matrix metering the metering system will ignore anything outside the cropped area. That could lead to better exposures in some cases. (But I'd verify that before relying on it!)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25322 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.