Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2530
View in linear mode

Subject: "Settings for Birds in Flight" Previous topic | Next topic
burtcg Registered since 15th Nov 2010Mon 29-Nov-10 10:34 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Settings for Birds in Flight"

Le Claire, US

What settings are recommended for photographing Eagles in flight??

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 30-Nov-10 01:10 AM
11074 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Settings for Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 30-Nov-10 03:07 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Hi Burt, Welcome to Nikonians!

Release mode - I use CH for he fastest frame rate.

Metering:

I use center-weighted metering for my eagle shooting. Matrix metering can get fooled by the background and I find it nearly impossible to keep the spot meter on the moving bird.

I direct bright sunlight you will need to ally negative exposure compensation to avoid blowing out the white head and tail feathers. I start out at about -0.7 exposure compensation when the sun is high in the sky.

Set up the image review to show blown highlights (blinkies) and check your exposure often then adjust exposure comp as needed. When the sun is nearing the horizon you can safely shoot without any exposure compensation. You will loose some shots throughout the day due to poor exposure just keep making adjustments you will get plenty of keepers.

If it is cloudy you may need to use positive exposure compensation. Again take some shots, check your exposure and adjust the exposure compensation as needed.

Avoid shooting into the sun.

Auto Focus:

Focus mode - AF-C

AF-Area Mode - Dynamic-area AF. I use either 9 or 21 point most often. You should experiment with the 9, 21 and 39 point options to see what works best for you. Since we are just entering eagle season here in Iowa you should practice on gulls if you have a chance before the prime eagle season begins in a few weeks.

Try to always have the center focus point selected and let the dynamic-area mode work for you.

General:

You need to keep your shutter speeds fast especially if the birds are fishing. I try to stay above 1/1000s as much as possible anything below 1/800s and your keeper rate will likely drop. Don’t be afraid to set high ISO speeds if it will keep the shutter speed up. I usually start off with my ISO set at 400 and move it up as necessary. You can use Auto ISO if you don’t want to manually change the setting as the day progresses.

Bring at least one extra battery and keep it in a pocket close to your body to keep it warm. The battery in the camera can loose power fairly quickly in the extreme cold. When you swap batteries put the cold one in your pocket and it will regain its charge when it warms up. Most days you should get by on just one or two battery swaps. This is most important when the temps get into the single digits.

Get some hand warmers to put in your gloves and make sure that you have gloves that will allow you to control the camera wile wearing them. Dress very warm and wear good boots.

-----------------

So, were in Iowa are you located?
We have some really good shooting locations near Davenport and another by Iowa City.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

burtcg Registered since 15th Nov 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 12:58 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Settings for Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 1

Le Claire, US

Dave: thanks for the great tips. Your suggestion to practice with the D7000 before the Eagles get here is a good one. What lens do you use?
I am in Le Claire.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 30-Nov-10 05:28 PM
11074 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Settings for Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

I shoot a D300s with a 400/f2.8.

You are in a great place Lock and Dam 14 is probably one of the best shooting locations on this stretch of the river. I hope to see you there this winter.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2530 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.