Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25199
View in linear mode

Subject: "issues: d7100 nefs vs. CaptureNX2" Previous topic | Next topic
smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 06:37 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"issues: d7100 nefs vs. CaptureNX2"

Lexington, US

Hmm CaptureNX 2.4.1 is giving me an "Alert (7) Can not Save" dialog.
Also, there is no Camera Settings or Camera and Lens Corrections adjustments. Anyone else notice this issue?

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: issues: d7100 nefs vs. CaptureNX2
billD80 Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
smh
15th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
smh
15th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
Reply message How are you loading the files?
Jim Pearce Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
     Reply message RE: How are you loading the files?
smh
15th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
smh
15th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
smh
15th Mar 2013
                    Reply message What the heck...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
                         Reply message RE: What the heck...
smh
15th Mar 2013
smh
16th Mar 2013
walkerr Administrator
16th Mar 2013
smh
16th Mar 2013
smh
16th Mar 2013
briantilley Moderator
16th Mar 2013
smh
16th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
16th Mar 2013
walkerr Administrator
16th Mar 2013
gpoole Platinum Member
16th Mar 2013
smh
16th Mar 2013
                                                  Reply message Well in with...Nikon Transfer Steve...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
16th Mar 2013
                                                  Reply message RE: Well in with...Nikon Transfer Steve...
smh
16th Mar 2013

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 06:44 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: issues: d7100 nefs vs. CaptureNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Hmm CaptureNX 2.4.1 is giving me an "Alert (7) Can not
>Save" dialog.
>Also, there is no Camera Settings or Camera and Lens
>Corrections adjustments. Anyone else notice this issue?
>
>

No. I've done a few saves to NEF and JPEG. I'd call Nikon on this, as you're using the version designed to handle D7100 files.

Are you actually using that version, or did you download and not fully install? Possible you're still using a prior version?? Sorry for the wild guess...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 06:56 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: issues: d7100 nefs vs. CaptureNX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Lexington, US

I did chk the version and it's 2.4.1 alright. I'll give 'er a reboot, see if that does anything.. ..

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 06:59 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: issues: d7100 nefs vs. CaptureNX2"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>I did chk the version and it's 2.4.1 alright. I'll give 'er a
>reboot, see if that does anything.. ..

Also, I've done all of my imports into Capture via View NX2 (the latest version). Shot in the dark...

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 07:08 PM
#4. "RE: issues: d7100 nefs vs. CaptureNX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Lexington, US

DxO 8 isn't happy either: Won't display the 7100's NEF images.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 07:14 PM
#5. "RE: issues: d7100 nefs vs. CaptureNX2"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>DxO 8 isn't happy either: Won't display the 7100's NEF
>images.

THAT'S not a surprise...

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Fri 15-Mar-13 08:25 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "How are you loading the files?"
In response to Reply # 1

Grimsby, CA

You likely need to use Nikon Transfer in the latest version of ViewNX2. Otherwise the files may be corrupted.

Jim

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 09:04 PM
#7. "RE: How are you loading the files?"
In response to Reply # 6

Lexington, US

Good point. I am doing that, but, maybe I need to check for latest version? BTW, I did as Bill suggested and copied Nikon support on this.
And, DxO, as well. From what I can parse from their reply, DxO is non-committal, saying "it takes a lot of resources.." etc.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 10:11 PM
#8. "RE: How are you loading the files?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

BTW, I did as Bill suggested and copied Nikon
>support on this.

I would call them. Unless things have changed, they have live people, and that would be my first inclination.

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 10:47 PM
#9. "RE: How are you loading the files?"
In response to Reply # 8

Lexington, US

I'll call them. In the meantime, what are you or anyone else using to PP the 7100 raw files? Photoshop cs6 won't open them either. I'm showing my ignorance here as I just sort of figured these programs would at least open the file. I didn't realize they would be totally different.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 11:07 PM
#10. "RE: How are you loading the files?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>I'll call them. In the meantime, what are you or anyone else
>using to PP the 7100 raw files? Photoshop cs6 won't open them
>either. I'm showing my ignorance here as I just sort of
>figured these programs would at least open the file. I didn't
>realize they would be totally different.

My ignorance on PP exceeds anyone's, believe me...

But, that's why I know that ONLY updated View NX2 and updated Capture NX2 can properly open NF files from the D7100.

Adobe is reverse engineering to open Nikon NEFs, always.

In a few weeks they'll have the D7100 figured out, but in the meantime, I'd use View NX2 as the portal to work with the D7100 files.

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 11:19 PM
#11. "RE: How are you loading the files?"
In response to Reply # 10

Lexington, US

Yup. No question these files are FUBAR for now: NX2 opens them with a size of 1620x1080. Inches! And a resolution of 1 dpi.
So, for now I'm using ViewNX to view them, open in NX2, then send to CS6 as a tif. Kinda round-about but works fine.

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Fri 15-Mar-13 11:24 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 9

Grimsby, CA

ViewNX2 is free and opens the files. Download from the card to the latest version (2.7.4) of ViewNX2 and see what happens. Go from there.

Jim

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 11:32 PM
#13. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 12
Fri 15-Mar-13 11:43 PM by smh

Lexington, US

Hi Jim, yes View NX 2.7.1 views the files but that's about all. The issue here is I want to PP them with NX2 (at least, or something else).
And, as Bill suggests, it's no surprising other processing software is behind on this, but, according to Nikon, NX2 is supposed to be all set for the 7100 RAW files. Well, at least on my machine, it isn't.
ah, wait, you say there is a later version, 2.7.4.. hmm. I'll check on that now, let ya know.

OK, just updated from ViewNX 2.7.2 to 2.7.4. Unfortunately, still the same problem. At least Nikon is aware. I'll call them tomorrow as I have found a couple other items too.

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 16-Mar-13 10:39 AM
#14. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 13

Lexington, US

In addition to the issues with NX2 opening and saving as noted above, I *believe* there is also something strange going on with ViewNX, too: It doesn't seem to properly resolve the image at anything over 200% (2.0x). It looks extremely blocky, very low res-like (lack of better word) as if it is throwing data away, or something.

Opening a d7100 raw file in NX2 does the exact same thing as you zoom beyond 200%; the image has horrible resolution.
However, if you input some arbitrary file size & resolution (I used 4x6 inch size, 600dpi resolution) the image then displays beyond 200% as you would expect.

I'm certainly no expert on this and have little clue what i'm doing; I'm just reporting what I'm seeing.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 16-Mar-13 11:56 AM
14424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 14
Sat 16-Mar-13 12:07 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

I downloaded some D7100 NEFs and opened them in both NX2 2.4.1 and ViewNX2 2.7.4. Both worked exactly as you would expect, with no strange anomalies zooming to higher magnifications.

I would shoot some new test NEFs and then use your operating system to copy the files from the card to the computer. That'll be a check on whether or not something in your downloading process is corrupting the files. Alternatively, download a few NEFs from the bottom of this web page (it's where I got my samples) and see if the problem still occurs:

www.photographyblog.com/previews/nikon_d7100_photos/

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 16-Mar-13 12:10 PM
#16. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 16-Mar-13 12:20 PM by smh

Lexington, US

Rick, thanks for your input. This is what I want to know, whether others are having issues. Since apparently you're not, now I have something to work on.
Here's what I'm doing: I'm copying directly from SD card using Nikon Transfer. Nikon Transfer.. hmm wonder if there is an update to that and if that is the problem?
In a minute, I'll copy directly from the card using Windows copy/paste, then report back here.
Thanks!

edit: problem solved! see below

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 16-Mar-13 12:19 PM
#17. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 16

Lexington, US

BINGO! Thanks to Ricks input, the problem turned out to be with using Nikon Transfer for importing from SD card to computer.
If I use Windows copy/paste, all is working as you'd expect.
Many thanks to Rick and Bill for their input. Now back to playing with pictures!
steve h

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 16-Mar-13 12:31 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 17

Paignton, GB

Glad you found the cause

This was a problem that several of our D800-owning members also encountered when using the old Nikon Transfer program - doing so corrupted the NEF's.

Although it's not a surprise, it's worth knowing that the same applies to NEF's from the D7100.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 16-Mar-13 12:42 PM
#19. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 18

Lexington, US

Brian, hopefully this will clue others to this issue. Which, after all, is what this forum is all about.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 16-Mar-13 12:59 PM
#20. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 19

US

>Brian, hopefully this will clue others to this issue. Which,
>after all, is what this forum is all about.

BTW, I use View NX2 as my browser... Transferring from the card to the harddrive goes via View NX2 and always works like a charm.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 16-Mar-13 03:08 PM
14424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 17

Colorado Springs, US

I'm glad it helped.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sat 16-Mar-13 01:05 PM
3630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 16
Sat 16-Mar-13 01:05 PM by gpoole

Farmington Hills, US

Nikon Transfer as a standalone program is obsolete. The transfer ability has been embedded in View NX2 for quite a while now.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 16-Mar-13 01:12 PM
#22. "RE: What the heck..."
In response to Reply # 21

Lexington, US

Bill, Gary, ok, out with Nikon Transfer, in with .. something else.
All-in-all, this was an interesting education for me. I've used Nikon Transfer for so many years I never even considered it.

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 16-Mar-13 07:21 PM
#24. "Well in with...Nikon Transfer Steve..."
In response to Reply # 22

Grimsby, CA

I tried to tell you, but the message got lost in the translation. It doesn't help that the utility embedded in ViewNX2 has the same name as the old free-standing program!

Jim

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 16-Mar-13 07:35 PM
#25. "RE: Well in with...Nikon Transfer Steve..."
In response to Reply # 24

Lexington, US

Jim I'm glad you spoke-up. See, I've been using the old Nikon Transfer so long. Never gave it any thought at all that it was anything more than a convenient copy/paste app. Fooled me. Which isn't difficult, apparently :~\ thanks again

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25199 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.