Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25180
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Flash Compensation" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Fri 15-Mar-13 09:02 AM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Flash Compensation"

Ottawa, CA

The manual implies that you can decouple the flash and exposure compensation in the custom menus e-4. Not quite sure what this means in practice. I hope that with this set you can adjust only the flash setting or only the exposure setting.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 Flash Compensation
Leonard62 Gold Member
15th Mar 2013
VR8 Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
15th Mar 2013
PaintedRays Silver Member
17th Mar 2013
VR8 Silver Member
17th Mar 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 15-Mar-13 01:59 PM
2721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Flash Compensation"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't know if this feature has been mentioned before but it was first introduced in the D4 and D600 and now apparently in the D7100. It is not available in the D800.

Normally when you have the camera in 3D matrix metering mode and iTTL flash you will be using CPU lenses which also furnish distance information. The camera will take into account this distance information and meter for the background to give a more balanced exposure to the overall scene. In the camera bodies prior to the D4 and D600 exposure compensation will be applied to the whole scene and if flash compensation and metering compensation are both used they will add.

With the new split exposure compensation it appears you will have more control over the background separate from the flash target. I don't think it will work in spot metering mode as iTTL mode is disabled.

Anyway I think this is the way it will work but I don't have any of the new bodies to test it out. Maybe someone with one of these bodies can try it out or explain it better if I'm wrong.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Fri 15-Mar-13 02:14 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Flash Compensation"
In response to Reply # 1

Ottawa, CA

Thanks this sounds useful for macro photography and for using flash outdoors with wildlife.

Victor

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 15-Mar-13 02:17 PM
2721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Flash Compensation"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for pointing it out, Victor. This could be a significant change.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PaintedRays Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2011Sun 17-Mar-13 03:52 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 Flash Compensation"
In response to Reply # 1

Oregon, US

I use this with the D4 and I can tell you it is terrific. With the D800 and older designs, if your lighting is set and you want to drop the ambient light, you lower your exposure compensation and then raise you flash compensation to get back to where you were. With the new option, you can adjust one without affecting the other. Just simpler to keep straight in my mind. By the way, it is an option. If you are combining use of a D800 and D7100 (D600, D4) you can leave it set to the default and your cameras will operate identically. I think this is a great feature.

www.paintedrays.com

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sun 17-Mar-13 07:26 PM
#5. "RE: D7100 Flash Compensation"
In response to Reply # 4

Ottawa, CA

Great!

Victor

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25180 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.