Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25090
View in linear mode

Subject: "Acceptable noise at ISO 200 ?" Previous topic | Next topic
vangophotos Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Tue 12-Mar-13 02:03 AM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Acceptable noise at ISO 200 ?"

San Antonio, US

The sample is a screenshot of a picture opened in Adobe Camera Raw and zoom 100%.
Is this acceptable noise at ISO 200?

This picture is taken in a room, lit by the ceiling fan/light. On a tripod with cable release.

The final picture, after processing, looks great. But I'm a little worried about the quality at 100% ... or shouldn't I be?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Acceptable noise at ISO 200 ?
aolander Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
jbloom Gold Member
12th Mar 2013
blw Moderator
12th Mar 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
JPJ Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
vangophotos Silver Member
12th Mar 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 12-Mar-13 02:20 AM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Acceptable noise at ISO 200 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The image is underexposed so you will get more noise even at a low ISO.

Alan

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Tue 12-Mar-13 02:33 AM
1986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Acceptable noise at ISO 200 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

>The sample is a screenshot of a picture opened in Adobe
>Camera Raw and zoom 100%.
>Is this acceptable noise at ISO 200?
>
>This picture is taken in a room, lit by the ceiling fan/light.
>On a tripod with cable release.
>
>The final picture, after processing, looks great. But I'm a
>little worried about the quality at 100% ... or shouldn't I
>be?
>
>
>
>

As noted before, it appears underexposed. It should be nearly noiseless at iso 200

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 12-Mar-13 12:38 PM
6109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Acceptable noise at ISO 200 ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

>zoom 100%.

There's your problem.

>The final picture, after processing, looks great.

There's your answer.

My smarta** response aside, the underexposure other responders have pointed out makes this a pretty poor image to use to evaluate noise performance.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 12-Mar-13 07:54 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Acceptable noise at ISO 200 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Not to pile on, but I'd say that this is not just underexposed, it's underexposed by quite a bit. Assuming that your electrical plate is similar color to the ones I'm used to seeing, you're at least a stop underexposed even here - and the display shows that you've already boosted exposure by two thirds of a stop. If you're boosting exposure by what appears to be two stops, you're going to get some noise.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Tue 12-Mar-13 10:47 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Acceptable noise at ISO 200 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

>The final picture, after processing, looks great. But I'm a
>little worried about the quality at 100% ... or shouldn't I
>be?

Where are you going to display the image at 100%? Answer: nowhere. IMO, peering at an image at 100% on your computer is equivalent to holding a 3ft wide print 17 inches from your face. You'll see a lot of flaws but won't be able to appreciate the art.

Could it be better with better exposure (and white balance)? Yes. Would you notice it at reasonable viewing size? Probably not. Blow any digital image up far enough and you will find some noise. You can minimize it by not underexposing and you can clean it up with noise reduction software - so it looks good at reasonable viewing size. I rarely view images at 100% because I'm not a masochist. There may be a reason to do it, but for me it is usually some level of academic inquiry/comparison, not to see if I have a keeper.

Don't worry. Enjoy your art.

Visit my gallery.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Tue 12-Mar-13 11:53 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Acceptable noise at ISO 200 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Based on the positioning of the sliders I would say yes. When you jack up the exposure, and shadow recovery and drop the highlights by the maximum amount I would be surprised NOT to see this kind of noise at ISO whatever.

Jason

vangophotos Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Tue 12-Mar-13 05:24 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Acceptable noise at ISO 200 ?"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 12-Mar-13 05:26 PM by vangophotos

San Antonio, US

Thanks for the advice everyone.

This corner section of the room is away from the window. It's a small portion of the picture. The overall picture is correctly exposed, but this is a 'dark' corner in the room, so to make it more light, I opened up the shadows here but wasn't expecting this level of noise.

This picture is of the house's 3rd bedroom (this is actually our house that we just listed for sale).
The 'full' picture is here: http://bit.ly/ZjsFhy

Thanks again!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25090 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.