Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25033
View in linear mode

Subject: "Servicing and cleaning my D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
Scott Spencer Registered since 03rd Mar 2013Sun 10-Mar-13 06:33 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Servicing and cleaning my D7000?"

Pelham, US

I'd like to have my D7000 checked out, serviced, and cleaned as I bought it used last fall. Should I send it to Melville, NY or the local authorized repair facility in Smyrna, GA? Generally speaking what does this type of cleaning/service usually cost, presuming no parts are required?

Thanks for any suggestions or help. I've never had to send any equipment off before like this and I just want to go about it the best way.

Thank you!

Scott

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Servicing and cleaning my D7000?
Bravozulu Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
newfoundlander61
10th Mar 2013
Scott Spencer
10th Mar 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
Scott Spencer
10th Mar 2013
Reply message 1RE: Servicing and cleaning my D7000?
NDGraham Silver Member
20th Mar 2013

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 10-Mar-13 06:44 PM
659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Servicing and cleaning my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

My D7000 was checked for a possible electrical problem (battery drain). No charge since it was under warranty. This was at the West Coast Nikon repair station in Los Angeles.

Along with the check (turned out to be no problems) they cleaned low pass filter and mirror. Any skilled repair shop can do the cleaning and I have read about typical prices for that being $45~.

You can do it yourself with a blower brush. Never compressed air. Just remove the lens, invert the camera so the lens mount faces downward. That way the dust falls with gravity.

And to help avoid getting dust in there, once in awhile vacuum out your camera bag interior.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

newfoundlander61 Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Sun 10-Mar-13 08:21 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Servicing and cleaning my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

Kingston, CA

If all appears to be working with it I don't think it needs to go in.

Scott Spencer Registered since 03rd Mar 2013Sun 10-Mar-13 08:57 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Servicing and cleaning my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2

Pelham, US

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Things seem to be ok but I just thought a good go over by Nikon would be a good thing.

Scott

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 10-Mar-13 10:04 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Servicing and cleaning my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Newburg, US

Relax, though Nikon would appreciate getting more of your money, unless there is some problem, just keep shooting and enjoy. The only issue you're apt to encounter is dust on your sensor which can usually be blown off with something like a Rocket Blower.

Visit my gallery.

Scott Spencer Registered since 03rd Mar 2013Sun 10-Mar-13 10:35 PM
#5. "RE: Servicing and cleaning my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Pelham, US

>Relax, though Nikon would appreciate getting more of your
>money, unless there is some problem, just keep shooting and
>enjoy. The only issue you're apt to encounter is dust on your
>sensor which can usually be blown off with something like a
>Rocket Blower.

Understood.

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Wed 20-Mar-13 01:54 AM
605 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "1RE: Servicing and cleaning my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

I had mine checked out by Nikon service here in Montreal last November, a month before the warranty ran out. They checked the sharpness and reported there was nothing they could do except reset the camera and clean it (and it is sharp.) All for free. So if you still have time left on the warranty, why not send it in? As Jimmy Durante used to say "It couldn't hoit! Inka dinka doo."
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25033 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.