Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25015
View in linear mode

Subject: "upgrading from D300" Previous topic | Next topic
zoomlens Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Sat 09-Mar-13 06:01 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"upgrading from D300"

Cobourg, CA

I have been waiting on the sidelines waiting for the right time to upgrade.
The D300 has been a very capable camera for me and I am approaching 100,000 clicks, but its days may be numbered before a major repair.

The specs and preliminary reviews of the D7100 make it a very attractive replacement and there are a lot of improvements (addition of video, two card slots, etc.)

I want to stay with the DX format given investments in lenses.

Are there any other D300 users sitting on the fence and wondering whether we should wait for a D400 or upgrade now?

If so, I'd like to be convinced why NOT to upgrade to the D7100 now.

________
Rick

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: upgrading from D300
dhrphoto Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
JPJ Silver Member
11th Mar 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
11th Mar 2013
Reply message I don't see the D7100 as an upgrade...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
MikeW2ck Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
11th Mar 2013
briantilley Moderator
11th Mar 2013
JPJ Silver Member
11th Mar 2013
MikeW2ck Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
Jeeves Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
MikeW2ck Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
DHoff
11th Mar 2013
          Reply message Yup, just the way I see the D7100...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
km6xz Moderator
10th Mar 2013
zoomlens Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
10th Mar 2013
mwhals Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
N80 Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
scottashley Silver Member
11th Mar 2013
vangophotos Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
F2AS
12th Mar 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
12th Mar 2013
MikeW2ck Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
briantilley Moderator
13th Mar 2013
               Reply message Oddly...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
                    Reply message RE: Oddly...
JPJ Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
torwood Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
12th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
torwood Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
JPJ Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
BrianNK
13th Mar 2013
JPJ Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
BrianNK
13th Mar 2013
JPJ Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
poc Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
zoomlens Silver Member
24th Mar 2013
N80 Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
25th Mar 2013
25th Mar 2013

dhrphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2007Sat 09-Mar-13 11:56 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 0

Laurel, US

While Nikon USA calls the D7100 the new flagship this is what Nikon Global says: "Reduced from the D7000, the D7100 weighs a mere approx. 675 g/1 lb 7.8 oz (body only). With excellent capturing power, exquisite detail reproduction and depiction performance encapsulated in this compact, lightweight body, the camera demonstrates great agility. The body is also durable as it employs magnesium alloy for the top and rear covers."

"As a middle-class DX-format D-SLR, it features a highly sophisticated design, which satisfies pride of ownership."

I beleive the D400 is coming and when it does it will be a great camera. One with 7-8 fps or more, and built like the D300s or the D800

Check out what the say about the D300s:
"Nikon DX-format professional-level performance with agility and creative versatility."

Here is Nikon's Global link for DSLR camera's http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/index.htm

May Your Day Be Happy And
Full Of Beautiful Images
D.H.R.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 11-Mar-13 02:26 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 11-Mar-13 02:29 AM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

This has been discussed before but it can be both the 'flagship DX' camera and a 'middle class DX format D-SLR'.

The middle class reference could indeed be a reference to where Nikon places the DX format in their hierarchy of cameras between the p&s/mirrorless class and FX.

I wouldn't read much into this either way. There is simply no way of knowing whether Nikon will release a D400, we all have speculated one way or the other, but the reality is no one knows.

For me the biggest question of whether to upgrade now is to ask if the new camera will let you take better pictures. If you need a high buffer/fps camera then the d7100 may be a hindrance. If however you don't need that, and don't mind a few things being altered via menu vs. dial or button, then there could be a lot about a d7100 that would allow you to take better photos. The increase in MP and removal of the AA filter means you can really maximize sharpness in your photos. This doesn't come without a cost though. You will need good lenses to take advantage of the MPs, and a steady hand/ higher shutter speed to avoid it recording camera shake that might have gone unnoticed on a camera with less MPs. More MPs also means more cropping ability and, if you don't crop too much, bigger prints. Also no AA filter means moire could be an issue, see the D800 forum for a good thread on this re: the D800e.

You also get a camera with probably at least a stop to stop and a half better ISO performance. Especially when down sampled to a 12MP image as your D300 would give you. Additionally the increase in color depth and dynamic range in the new DSLRs is quite stunning vs. the previous generation.

Jason

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 11-Mar-13 06:55 AM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 8

Dyserth, GB

<<This has been discussed before but it can be both the 'flagship DX' camera and a 'middle class DX format D-SLR'.>>

Absolutely right and that's the point. The hierarchy of dSLR' s has changed dramatically over the last few years with previously thought of as entry or higher level consumer grade cameras encroaching on the higher level market. The D7000 started it and this has now provoked the launch of a DX "camera for all seasons" or nearly anyway, the D7100. This is similar in the FX range with a D600 doing so much of the D800 very well.

We probably will see a D400, but the gap between that and its nearest neighbour is lessening and perhaps potential buyers of a D400 may well be put off by what is liable to be its inevitably high price tag. The market for a semi-pro dSLR undoubtably still exists, but my feeling is that the gap is narrowing.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 10-Mar-13 12:07 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "I don't see the D7100 as an upgrade..."
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

But I do see it as a fine complement to your aging D300. What would you get for a D300 with 100,000 clicks on it anyway?

Jim

MikeW2ck Silver Member Charter MemberSun 10-Mar-13 07:01 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Since no one else wants to, I'll comment.

For me, it's going to boil down to one thing. Focusing. Is the D7100's system equal to or better than the D300's. That's it.

We already know the frame rate is slower. I'll try and live with it.

The most obvious improvement is going to be in image quality. The D300's mushiness, poor skin tones, magenta overtones, and poor noise performance will soon be forgotten when you buy the D7100. Maybe.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 11-Mar-13 01:25 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>The most obvious improvement is going to be in image quality.
>The D300's mushiness, poor skin tones, magenta overtones, and
>poor noise performance will soon be forgotten when you buy the
>D7100. Maybe.

Those aspects of the D300, if true, could be forgotten with a D7000 as well. For, the skin tones on the D7000 jumped right out as being wonderful.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 11-Mar-13 02:47 PM
28744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 11

Paignton, GB

I never saw mushiness, poor skin tones or a magenta tint when using my D300. Noise is relative, but I wouldn't call it "poor", either

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 11-Mar-13 09:12 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: upgrading from D300"

Toronto, CA

+1 for the d7000 skin tones - quite an improvement over my d90, and I would even give it the nod out of the camera compared to my d700.

Jason

MikeW2ck Silver Member Charter MemberTue 12-Mar-13 12:46 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>+1 for the d7000 skin tones - quite an improvement over my
>d90,
>
>Jason

If it's an improvement over the D90, then it's an improvement over the D300.

Jeeves Silver Member Charter MemberTue 12-Mar-13 08:27 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 16

Bangalore, IN

I was disappointed by lower fps and buffer size compared to even the D7000. The 1.3 crop is interesting. So is the ability to AF at f8. I think I will stay with my 7000 and hope for a D400 with 9-10 fps, higher buffer and a 1.3 crop even if it's 16 MP.

MikeW2ck Silver Member Charter MemberWed 13-Mar-13 03:53 AM
#25. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed 13-Mar-13 04:00 AM by MikeW2ck

US

(originally posted by Jeeves)
>I was disappointed by lower fps and buffer size compared to
>even the D7000.

and a 1.3 crop even if it's
>16 MP.

How do you get lower fps with the 7100?

Even if it's 16mp? I was bummed when I heard the new 7100 went up to 24mp. That's just silly and completely unwanted by some.

DHoff Registered since 10th Oct 2007Mon 11-Mar-13 11:01 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: upgrading from D300"

Lynchburg, US

I never have noticed any issues like described. Unlike most I bought a D7000 not as a replacement for my D300 but to fill my second camera position. The D300 is still meeting my needs for my shooting environment. The D7000 is supplementing the D300 by bringing lower light capabilities to the table. I will 2-300 frames in the course of 5 minutes when shooting my venue. With that kind of running and gunning I don't think the D7000 could keep up.

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Tue 12-Mar-13 12:02 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "Yup, just the way I see the D7100..."
In response to Reply # 14

Grimsby, CA

A low light and fill flash special teams player to complement my D300 and D300s. For what it's worth, the D300s has the new Nikon palette, and I prefer the D300's colours for wildlife. Skin tones? Not sure.

Jim

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 10-Mar-13 09:41 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

If the primary reason for upgrading is reliability, a 100,000 shot action shutter still has a lot of life left in it. So I would not think changing for that reason would be an upgrade, more of a lateral move.
If low light, resolution, cropping or dynamic range are priorities, it would be hard to imagine a modern Nikon that would not be better in these regards than the D300.
If reach is a priority, again the D7100 will be a real upgrade in allowing TCs on longer lenses and still be able to AF, plus the new 1.3 crop mode that essentially gives a field of view for a 300 f/4 the same as a 600 on a FX. Add a TC and get up to the same field of view ar 1200mm and still be able to AF.
The big question that will hold back some sales is the confusion over whether a pro body DX will be released. There is a lot of speculation but if it does come out, there will be a lot of anger also since so many forums have settled on a price well under the D600, which is not going to happen.
So unless you really have a need for some of the D7100 features now, there is no reason to make any move now. Wait until there are clear choices. It is hard for a firm decision to be made between 2 units where only one has a price and feature list.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

zoomlens Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Sun 10-Mar-13 11:27 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 4

Cobourg, CA

Thanks all for your feedback.

To answer the trade-in value question - $350. offered by the dealer (I know I would do better selling it privately). For that price, it's worth keeping it as a backup.

For the features the price is right for the D7100 in Canada ($1,229 for the body).

I think I will pre-order and take a close look when it arrives before I finally commit.

_________
Rick

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 10-Mar-13 06:26 PM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 5

Dyserth, GB

I think anyone waiting for the D400 is getting pretty frustrated. It must now be worth looking at the D7100. On another forum post today I put my latest thoughts'

Despite its annoying lack of semi-pro attributes, like the 10 pin connector, missing AF-ON button (re-allocating the AE-L/AF-L button is no replacement in my view)etc. However, it has the potential to deliver 90% of what a semi-pro body could achieve at a very affordable price. The extra crop mode should give a stop free narrower field of view bonus and the 51 point focusing all helps it to achieve semi-pro credentials.

So, yes if it will do 90% of whatever a D400 will do, then it's an absolute bargain. One UK dealer is even offering it already with a £110 ($165) discount even before it's in stock! If a D400 does come it will be almost double the price I'm sure.

The more I look at this camera the more I see the potential of it. I have been watching D7000's on a major auction site this weekend selling for £500+ with between 5000 and 12000 clicks. That represents, after charges, around 40-50% contribution towards a D7100. I think many may be tempted.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Sun 10-Mar-13 08:11 PM
1644 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 6

Winfield, US

>I think anyone waiting for the D400 is getting pretty
>frustrated.

That would be me.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

N80 Silver Member Charter MemberMon 25-Mar-13 12:30 AM
8574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 7

Rock Hill, US

>>I think anyone waiting for the D400 is getting pretty
>>frustrated.
>
>That would be me.
>

Me too. But D7100 sure has me thinking. Frame rate might be the only thing holding me back. And I'm truly starting to feel like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin. I may get a D7100 and sell it if the D400 (aka Great Pumpkin) ever rises out of the pumpkin patch.

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

scottashley Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2002Mon 11-Mar-13 03:14 AM
461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 0

Arvada, US

I'm in the same boat and tired of waiting. I ordered the D7100 within an hour of it being announced.

My proud D300 will serve out its days as a worthy backup.

Scott

vangophotos Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Tue 12-Mar-13 06:13 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 9

San Antonio, US

Well, there's room left in the naming for a D400 and D500 (between the D300 and D600) ... will they be used by cheaper FX camera's or "flagship" DX camera's? Tough call.

I'm under the impression that, with the arrival of the D600, Nikon is lowering the FX cost to a prosumer level. The D500 (and D400) could be reserved for cheaper FX camera's.
Nikon might reason that DX lenses work in crop mode on FX, so no need to throw away your glass; and that most of us DX shooters have an FX fantasy.

On the other hand, Nikon could mimic the FX model line-up (D4 vs. D800) and introduce the DX versions: D400 vs. D7100

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Tue 12-Mar-13 06:29 PM
481 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 18
Tue 12-Mar-13 06:30 PM by F2AS

Washington, US

Thankfully I've not had any mushiness or magenta cast type issues from my D300s. That said, I'm starting to feel technology is passing me by. My decision on whether to stay with DX or move up in size to FX depends a lot on the image quality tests from the D7100. If it's comparable to the D600, then I'll more than likely stay with DX, either the D7100 or wait a few more months to see if a D400 emerges.

Mike

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Tue 12-Mar-13 08:41 PM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 19
Tue 12-Mar-13 08:45 PM by espeto68

Oeiras, PT

+1 on this.

"Thankfully I've not had any mushiness or magenta cast type issues from my GF D300", and my D90 have perfect colors as well, so i do not totally agree with "D7000 skin tones - quite an improvement over my D90"

I'm one of those who got the D300 instead of the D7000 (and would do it again against the D7100), and got the D700 after the announcement of the D800/D600.

I think they are different tools, though, of course, the newer technology as some good points: like high ISO.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

MikeW2ck Silver Member Charter MemberWed 13-Mar-13 03:58 AM
#26. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 19
Wed 13-Mar-13 03:59 AM by MikeW2ck

US

(originally posted by F2AS)
>Thankfully I've not had any mushiness or magenta cast type
>issues from my D300s.

It's not an "issue" on specific cameras. It's inherent to all D300's. I'm talking about the color cast and the way it smooths detail as iso rises. It's like the camera is doing it's own noise reduction. I don't like the D300 above 400 iso, much less 3200.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 13-Mar-13 07:50 AM
28744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 26

Paignton, GB

>It's not an "issue" on specific cameras. It's
>inherent to all D300's.

Well, like I said my D300 didn't have a magenta cast. I used it alongside a D200 and later a D700 and the colour reproduction was very similar.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Wed 13-Mar-13 07:04 PM
#32. "Oddly..."
In response to Reply # 27

Grimsby, CA

By dxomark's Metamerism Index the D300 has the most accurate colour of any DSLR Nikon has made, and the highest they've tested with a score of 84.

Jim

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 14-Mar-13 11:10 PM
#36. "RE: Oddly..."
In response to Reply # 32

Toronto, CA

It's not really odd, as the SMI score, according to DxO is really unhelpful to predicting color reproduction:

Per DxO: "In practice, the SMI for DSLRs ranges between 75 and 85, and is not very discriminating. It is different for low-end cameras (such as camera phones), which typically have a SMI of about 40. For this reason, we give this measurement as an indication but do not integrate it in DxO Mark."

Jason

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 12-Mar-13 06:51 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 18

US

>On the other hand, Nikon could mimic the FX model line-up (D4
>vs. D800) and introduce the DX versions: D400 vs. D7100

I've got my reserve copy of a D7100... But I think there's room for a D400 at a price point of $1700-$1800 (bigger buffer/built-in grip).

A DX body at the same price of the D600 would be a tad odd.

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Tue 12-Mar-13 07:52 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 20

Jefferson Hills, US

Have any of you seen Nikon's recent pricing of "pro" gear? The old AFS 80-200 f2.8 ($1,300) gets replaced with the 70-200 f2.8 ($2,500), the old 80-400VR ($1,600) gets replaced with the new AFS 80-400VR ($2,700), the D700 ($2,500) gets replaced with the D800 ($3,000), and so on.

I'll be surprised if a new D400 arrives, and shocked if it starts out at less than $2,300 - or almost double the cost of a D7100. For that price, you'd better really need that extra FPS or two, that 10-pin connector, and that AF-On button, because the images will be the same.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 12-Mar-13 07:56 PM
#22. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 21

Dyserth, GB

<<I'll be surprised if a new D400 arrives, and shocked if it starts out at less than $2,300 - or almost double the cost of a D7100.>>

I've been saying this too as I expect any D400 be around the price you quoted, or probably higher.

Richard

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 12-Mar-13 08:00 PM
#23. "RE: upgrading from D300"

US

>I'll be surprised if a new D400 arrives, and shocked if it
>starts out at less than $2,300 - or almost double the cost of
>a D7100. For that price, you'd better really need that extra
>FPS or two, that 10-pin connector, and that AF-On button,
>because the images will be the same.

Believe me, I hear you, and agree. But would you pay $2300. for a DX D400? How much was the D300s?

A D400 with a great buffer and built-in grip... $1800. Makes sense.

Heck, I'll re-sell my D7100 and get one.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 13-Mar-13 11:11 AM
#28. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 23

US

The D7100 cannot be everyone's cup of tea, but I wonder...

What if Nikon gave the buyer the ability to select body-style/chip-set/sensor-size, and custom make a camera, like they do for laptops and PC's? Compatibility would be predetermined (ie. no full-frame sensor in a DX sized body).

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Thu 14-Mar-13 08:28 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 23
Thu 14-Mar-13 08:32 PM by torwood

Jefferson Hills, US

I "might" be tempted to forgo the D7100 and go straight to the D400 at $1,700. But, no way at $2,300+. And, I believe that to get what the D400 wanters want will cost closer to $2,500, if not more.

Oh, and I think that custom-design idea is terrific. Maybe it would take a few months to get your camera, and it would cost a lot more, but you could get exactly wnat you want. Maybe, rather than total customization, they could offer it in three different configurations, with three different price points.

Then again, Nikon would NEVER do this. They won't even give us a 70-200 f2.8 without VR for $1,500, like Canon does. It took them until a few months ago to give us a 70-200 f4 as an alternative to the insanely expensive f2.8 version, when Canon has had that lens for decades. Nikon doesn't do flexibility and choice.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 13-Mar-13 11:29 AM
#29. "RE: upgrading from D300"

Toronto, CA

I think it is more relevant t to look at what Nikon's lineup has that competes with the product and the pricing. For example the current 80-400 is 2600, but the competition for it in the lineup that would produce better results is all significantly more expensive. With the 70-200, there are cheaper options, but they are all clearly inferior.

With bodies you have the d7100 at $1200 and the d600 at $2000, and for that matter the d800 at $3000. I just don't see Nikon marketing another DX body whose price falls between a d600 and a d800. In fact I find the possibility of a DX body costing more than the low end FX body to be virtually non-existent. It simply wouldn't make sense from a marketing point of view.

If we see a D400 I say it's a lock that it comes in under the d600. . The d7100 is superior in technology to the D7000 and is around the same introductory pricing as when the d7k was released. Ditto the d800 in relation to the d700. The d600 is technologically superior to the d700 and yet came in with an introductory price $1000 less than the d700 due to its target audience. Nikon is very careful not to prey on its own market.

Jason

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Wed 13-Mar-13 06:04 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 29

US

>With bodies you have the d7100 at $1200 and the d600 at $2000,
>and for that matter the d800 at $3000. I just don't see
>Nikon marketing another DX body whose price falls between a
>d600 and a d800. In fact I find the possibility of a DX body
>costing more than the low end FX body to be virtually
>non-existent. It simply wouldn't make sense from a marketing
>point of view.

A Nikon Refurbished D600 is $1600. The D800 is $2500 refurbished. I think you'll see the D600 drop in price over the next year with a price around the $1600 mark.

A lower priced D600 = more sales... More D600 sales = more FX glass sold... more FX glass sold = more people moving up to D800's... etc.

So assuming thats true.. where does the D400 fall in your pricing model?

IMHO.. if (big IF) the D400 gets made it will be 'spendy' ($2.4kish). The Canon rumors are saying the 7Dmk2 will be priced high. Nikon will probably follow. The 'Nikon pricing gives a spot for the D400' doesn't float with Nikon's new 'Discount! discount! discount!' strategy.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 13-Mar-13 06:39 PM
#31. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 30

Toronto, CA

>A Nikon Refurbished D600 is $1600. The D800 is $2500
>refurbished. I think you'll see the D600 drop in price over
>the next year with a price around the $1600 mark.
>
>A lower priced D600 = more sales... More D600 sales = more FX
>glass sold... more FX glass sold = more people moving up to
>D800's... etc.
>
>So assuming thats true.. where does the D400 fall in your
>pricing model?
>
>IMHO.. if (big IF) the D400 gets made it will be 'spendy'
>($2.4kish). The Canon rumors are saying the 7Dmk2 will be
>priced high. Nikon will probably follow. The 'Nikon pricing
>gives a spot for the D400' doesn't float with Nikon's new
>'Discount! discount! discount!' strategy.

To be honest I don't believe there will be a D400 or "Pro"-style DX body. However, as we are all just guessing (including on pricing)
I am just going on what Nikon has done in the past, as the only true predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

I don't understand the refurbished or discount points. Any discounts whether it be at the point of sale (new) or through refurbishment would find its way to a D400 anyway. So a new D400 could be say $1700, a refurbished one could be $1200-1300, and a discounted one new could be $1400-1500.

I do agree with you on this, if indeed I am correct about your FX point, I do think Nikon wants to move more serious users to FX. That has been the case for some time now in my opinion - thus there have been numerous new or refreshed FX lenses versus just a smattering of new DX stuff. Any doubt about this was erased by the D600.

From previous conversations on this issue, the people who really new the "Pro"-Style" DX camera, birders and wildlife shooters, don't appear to be a big priority for Nikon, perhaps even if the 7DmkII comes out they are prepared to concede that relatively marginal market to Canon while they continue their (successful) recent assault on the very lucrative low end DX market, serious enthusiast DX market and the FX market.

As always, time will tell.

Jason

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Wed 13-Mar-13 07:04 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 31

US

My point was based on the fact that LOTS of people keep saying: D7100 = $1200, D600 = $2000.. there will be a D400 because of the gap between the two. (D400 = $1800)

IMHO, that's not a good indicator the D400 is coming.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 13-Mar-13 08:32 PM
#34. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 33

Toronto, CA

Agreed.

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Thu 14-Mar-13 11:49 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 34

Glenview, US

In response to the original point I won't comment on the specs as they have been adequately debated. Having had both D300s and D7000 my impression is that they provide a different shooting experience especially with respect to size and the buttons. The feel of the two cameras (ergonomics) is totally different.

I greatly enjoyed my D300s and the ability to customize on the fly with buttons, but I did not enjoy hiking with it due to its size. I loved it on a tripod. I enjoy the compactness and other attributes of the D7th but miss the ability to bracket more than 3 shots.

While the shooting experience of the D7th, D600 and apparently the D7100 is similar, a D300 or possible successor is a different beast. I have moved in a different direction, but a pro-type DX body would make sense for those who prefer the feel of a bigger camera but don't want the huge and expensive FX lenses. Just my thoughts.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

zoomlens Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Sun 24-Mar-13 01:58 AM
#38. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 37

Cobourg, CA

Thanks for all the feedback.

In the end, I picked up the D7100 and am charging the battery ready to go out shooting tomorrow, The vertical grip is on backorder so I'll have to wait to try that out.

By the way, in my view, the price was right <$1,200 Cdn. (plus taxes).

With the Nikkor DX 18-300 lens attached, the camera feels quite balanced. Not as heavy as the D300 but substantial.

Will post some impressions over the next couple of days.

N80 Silver Member Charter MemberMon 25-Mar-13 12:42 AM
8574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 38
Mon 25-Mar-13 12:43 AM by N80

Rock Hill, US

This is not a rhetorical question as I am not an encyclopedia of camera specs (well, film camera specs maybe) and don't know much about the latest models.....but where in the current FX line is a model, outside of the full pro level bodies (D3, D4) that delivers a high frame rate. Not the D800. D600? I don't know.

My point is that there doesn't seem to be a current semi-pro body with a high frame rate unless it is the D600 and I just don't know it.

I believe that if the D7100 had a higher frame rate that I buy it even though I am absolutely addicted to the form factor and size of the D200/D300.

And I guess that is what I want in a D400: similar features and image quality to the D7100, faster frame rate and larger buffer than the D7100 plus size, form and button layout of a D300.

Would it be worth $2000? Absolutely! $2300? Maybe. $2500? Gulp.

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 25-Mar-13 03:25 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 40
Mon 25-Mar-13 03:32 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

"And I guess that is what I want in a D400: similar features and image quality to the D7100, faster frame rate and larger buffer than the D7100 plus size, form and button layout of a D300."

All of which is why I think D400 is still coming

I'm still not sure of price. Certainly the D800 was identically priced as the D700 on initial release. In fact here in Canada the D800 was actually $300 cheaper than the D700 at initial release; in fact the D800E had the same price here as the D700 ($3300) at initial get go.

The D7100 was also to the penny the same as the D7000.

Not sure we can expect the same though, for what will now be much more of a specialty model than what its predecessor enjoyed. So we may have to pay for that nicheness. I love the idea of a 1.3 crop essentially filled with the 51 AF points. Just gimme that big buffer.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 25-Mar-13 05:48 AM
#42. "RE: upgrading from D300"
In response to Reply # 41

Dyserth, GB

Couldn't agree more and although snow delayed for 3 days, mine arrives today

Richard.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25015 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.