Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24989
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 and GGS/Gorilla Glass" Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 08-Mar-13 01:35 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 and GGS/Gorilla Glass"

US

One of the best things I did was install the GGS glass over the rear and top LCD's on the D7000. SO much better then the plastic snap-on.

Does anyone know if the D7100 uses some kind of Gorilla Glass for the screens? I'll never go back to the plastic cover.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 08-Mar-13 07:20 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 and GGS/Gorilla Glass"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Bill,

Nikon just refers to it as 'reinforced glass' which suggests to me they are not using Gorilla Glass (tm) but maybe something very similar that they didn't have to license.

The screen is the exact same dimensions as the D600 and likely has a similar construction in that the glass is essentially part of the back plate. The issue is if you scratch the glass on the D600, you have to replace the entire back - which could be costly. If the D7100 is the same, you definitely want an LCD protector.

I suspect the D600 GGS ones should work on the D7100 given the dimensions.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 08-Mar-13 07:36 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 and GGS/Gorilla Glass"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>
>I suspect the D600 GGS ones should work on the D7100 given the
>dimensions.
>
>Jason

Thanks, because the GGS is a great accessory and I don't find it degrading image quality at all. And I'm not brave enough to put nothing on the screen...

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 08-Mar-13 11:22 PM
3979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 and GGS/Gorilla Glass"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 08-Mar-13 11:24 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

>Does anyone know if the D7100 uses some kind of Gorilla Glass
>for the screens? I'll never go back to the plastic cover.

I think Nikon has been using an outer layer of optically fine, extremely protective glass on all its mid-range to high-end DSLR LCD screens since the D3. I used a GGS screen protector on my D700 for a while, but removed it because I didn't like the thin black border. Haven't used a screen protector since then (four years ago). I do an enormous amount of walking with my camera hanging on a strap from my right shoulder. No screen scratches or abrasions on my D700, D7000, D800, Fujifilm X100, Fujifilm X-Pro1, etc., etc.

Factory installed screen protection on all from every camera maker out there seems to be very, very good.

If I was heading for particularly rough environments (e.g., Baja, northern Sahel/sub-Saharan/Sahara regions, Petra/Jordan, Kingdom, etc., etc. - the fine sand is insidious and can't be avoided; it gets into everything) I'd install a GGS again because it fully seals to the outer edges of the rear LCD and prevents any and all dust, sand, grit and moisture from getting to the screen.

Back in the day, I used a number of cameras that gave it up completely in dry, sandy, hot regions - gritted up shutters; dials, controls, focus rings and aperture rings jammed/seized with grit, and so on). DSLRs and the latest lenses are no more resistant that the older pro and enthusiast gear, and I don't care what kind of Gorilla Glass the camera makers use. Wind blown, fine sand in 35C-40C is a relentless and nasty abrasive. But that's the only sort of environment in which I'd react protectively with a GGS screen protector.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 09-Mar-13 02:37 PM
#4. "RE: D7100 and GGS/Gorilla Glass"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I used a GGS screen protector
>on my D700 for a while, but removed it because I didn't like
>the thin black border. Haven't used a screen protector since
>then (four years ago).

I'm still leaning heavily on the GGS for the D7100, since I had such a great experience with it on the D7000. But it's good to hear your gear has done fine without anything.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24989 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.