Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24965
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Full functionality remote control" Previous topic | Next topic
SaskPhotog Registered since 07th Mar 2013Thu 07-Mar-13 07:35 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Full functionality remote control"

CA

Hello From frosty Saskatchewan!

Ok, it's a D7000

I am looking for a remote control which will offer full or at
least most functions.

It can be wired, but prefer wireless.

Wish to avoid using Nikon Camera Control app.

Want to be able to switch from mode to mode
Want to be able to go from still to video

Would like to be able to switch focusing and metering modes

Want to be able to control bracketing for HDR use.

May be asking for too much here, but if someone can help,
GREAT.

Here is an odd look at the issue. If I were to use two types
of remotes, i.e remote shutter and remote functions then use a
Y cord USB or even a USB hub etc?

I'm also a computer geek so that kinda thing goes through my
head LMAO!

Happy shooting!

Guy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Full functionality remote control
Gamecocks Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
09th Mar 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
09th Mar 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
SaskPhotog
10th Mar 2013
jvmorris Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
SaskPhotog
10th Mar 2013
jvmorris Silver Member
11th Mar 2013

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 07-Mar-13 08:37 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Full functionality remote control"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Welcome to Nikonians, Guy. Go to the search option under your login section (top right on your screen) and enter wireless remote. You'll find several sections relating to that. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 09-Mar-13 11:36 AM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Full functionality remote control"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Guy,
I have one of these arriving early next week. Its functionality looks very good to me!

Ther were in stock at Adorama, when I placed the order.

http://www.camranger.com/

Pete

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Sat 09-Mar-13 12:12 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Full functionality remote control"
In response to Reply # 2

Jamison, US

Good find Peter !!!, just what I was looking for also, ordered from Adorama today

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 09-Mar-13 12:32 PM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Full functionality remote control"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 09-Mar-13 12:33 PM by PeterBeckett

San Jose, US

Thanks Michael, but I cannot accept credit for finding this gizmo! I recently received an e-mail from another Nikonian who enthused over its capabilities - having seen one used with an iPad Retina. At the time, he was also awaiting delivery!

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the Camranger meets our expectations...

FWIW, I'll be using it with a D800 and an iPad Retina. I'm quite keen to find out how long it takes to load+display shots from the camera. I assume that I'll have to create in-camera JPGs as well as the RAW files that I need.

Pete

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Sat 09-Mar-13 11:50 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Full functionality remote control"
In response to Reply # 4

Jamison, US

7000 plus a 600 soon here, love capture pro but a PIA outside

SaskPhotog Registered since 07th Mar 2013Sun 10-Mar-13 02:56 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Full functionality remote control"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback. This is great!

Had a look at the camranger site and it does exactly what I want.

Also found this http://www.cameramator.com/

Not an Ipad user.... yet :)

Both products are for Apple hardware :(

Camranger is working on a windows version apparently.

May not be a bad idea to produce an android version too :)

You guys are GREAT!

Guy

jvmorris Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sun 10-Mar-13 05:55 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Full functionality remote control"
In response to Reply # 6

Reston, US

I thought I might throw in a wired solution just to round this out for those reading the thread.

There's Helicon Remote from Helicon Software, http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconremote.html , which you can check out at the referenced website for the details.

Works with Android and iOS devices, as well as PC laptops and (I think) Mac laptops. The major hassle, being USB, is that you're likely going to be limited to 15 feet standoff from the camera. Apparently, they're working on some wireless extensions to the product, but details (and additional hardware required) are very sketchy at the moment.

SaskPhotog Registered since 07th Mar 2013Sun 10-Mar-13 11:27 PM
#8. "RE: D7000 Full functionality remote control"
In response to Reply # 7

CA

WOW, Thanks go out to jvmorris for the helicon info. I had no idea you could do this focus stacking technique!

Just to clarify, you are not limited to 15ft with USB. There are "active" / powered USB extensions out there. One can also opt for using a powered usb hub. The USB 3.0 technology theoretically allows for up to 18 meters with a powered hub.

Now, let's get super techie

http://www.gizmag.com/iogear-wireless-4-port-usb-sharing-station/19471/

How about using Using USB over WiFi? With the right antenna and WiFi booster you can now do WiFi over 5 miles with ease. I have heard of unconfirmed reports that 125 miles has been achieved.

So the issue becomes academic at this juncture. I guess technically you could control your camera from anywhere in the world with a cell phone and/or the Internet.

Obviously going way off topic here. But we photogs are known for DIY solutions!

Thank again to everyone. Where there is a will, there is a way!

Guy

jvmorris Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 11-Mar-13 03:39 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 Full functionality remote control"
In response to Reply # 8

Reston, US

Hi, guy!

Yes, looks like all the solutions I've seen involve Wi-Fi tunneling the USB protocol. Just got a reply on the Helicon Remote forum saying that the Wi-Fi version, when it becomes available, can even be implemented by hard-wiring one smartphone to the camera and then using a second smartphone remotely (i.e., wireless) to do the controlling. I can live with that!

I think the likely problem with trying to extend beyond, say, 10 meters (wired or wireless) is going to be a matter of latency. It's not going to be that big a deal with controlling autofocus and shutter release or even remotely changing camera settings. It probably wouldn't present that great a problem downloading a captured image, really just a file transfer. However (and this is of interest to me for some of the uses I've got in mind), Live View and video might present a real problem. I suppose we'll find out when we find out.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24965 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.