Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24962
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-600 focus assist with D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
GeorgCantor Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 06:34 PM
118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-600 focus assist with D7000"

Potomac, US

Hello!

It has been suggested that I use SB-600 focus assist with D7000, and that the only way to suppress the flash for the actual shot is to program the function button to FLASH OFF.

Q1: is it in fact necesary to set the fn button to FLASH OFF to defeat the flash for the actual exposure, when the SB-600 is set to focus assist mode (and, obviously to depress it when capturing the image)?

Q2: If the answer to Q1 = YES, if I depress the fn button (set to FLASH OFF) when acquiring focus, will this defeat the focus assist flaah?

Q3: Do any other custom (or other) settings specifically affect this procedure? In particular, is the built-in flash automatically disabled because the SB-600 is mounted & ON?

Thank you all.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-600 focus assist with D7000
Chris Platt Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
GeorgCantor Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
08th Mar 2013
08th Mar 2013
08th Mar 2013
elec164 Silver Member
08th Mar 2013

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 11:02 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-600 focus assist with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

There is no "flash off" button. There is a flash value lock (FV Lock) button. It doesn't turn the flash off; it fires a preflash to calculate the flash exposure level before the shutter is released and to lock it at that level until you press the button again.

If the SB600 is in the shoe and turned on, it will flash when you press the shutter release. The only way to prevent that is to turn the flash off.

Yes the built in flash is disabled if the SB600 is mounted and turned on.

I don't believe there is any way to use the focus assist without triggering the flash when the shutter is released.

Visit my gallery.

GeorgCantor Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2012Fri 08-Mar-13 02:03 AM
118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-600 focus assist with D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Potomac, US

Thank you. But, D7000 manual, page 230, lists features that may be assigned to the fn button. The 5th item below FV LOCK is FLASH OFF.

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Fri 08-Mar-13 01:19 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-600 focus assist with D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Newburg, US

Right you are. Sorry.

Visit my gallery.

GeorgCantor Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2012Fri 08-Mar-13 02:52 PM
#5. "RE: SB-600 focus assist with D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Potomac, US

THanks, Pete.

So, if I set the D7000 mode dial to NO FLASH, will that defeat the focus assist flash on the SB-600? If it does not defeat the focus assit flash, that would be easier than holding the fn button in to avoid the capture flash while using focus assist flash.

GeorgCantor Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2012Fri 08-Mar-13 02:54 PM
#6. "RE: SB-600 focus assist with D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Potomac, US

PS. But setting the mode dial to no flash eliminates PSAM, which is not good. Looks like I need to set the fn button to NO FLASH.

GeorgCantor Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2012Fri 08-Mar-13 03:07 PM
#7. "RE: SB-600 focus assist with D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Potomac, US

If, you Pete says, holding in the fn button (as set to FLASH OFF) does not defeat the focus assist flash, I wonder if taping a little padding over it would susccessfully hold it in. Otherwise, i just need to get used to constantly holding it in. I expect that both would be easier than triyng to locate the fn button while going from focussing to acquirirng.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 08-Mar-13 02:56 AM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-600 focus assist with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't have an SB600 but tried with my SB800.

>Q1: is it in fact necesary to set the fn button to FLASH OFF
>to defeat the flash for the actual exposure, when the SB-600
>is set to focus assist mode (and, obviously to depress it when
>capturing the image)?

Other than setting the Mode Dial to no flash it appears the only other way to use the focus assit on the SB unit while suppressing the flash.

>
>Q2: If the answer to Q1 = YES, if I depress the fn button
>(set to FLASH OFF) when acquiring focus, will this defeat the
>focus assist flaah?

It didn't on my D7000 and SB800 combo.

>
>Q3: Do any other custom (or other) settings specifically
>affect this procedure? In particular, is the built-in flash
>automatically disabled because the SB-600 is mounted &
>ON?

If you have the AF set to AF-C, it will inhibit the AF assit. And yes when the SB600 is mounted and on, it will disable the built in flash as far as I know.

Pete

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24962 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.