Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24955
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 underexposes..help!" Previous topic | Next topic
coondog Registered since 17th Jan 2013Thu 07-Mar-13 04:24 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 underexposes..help!"

US

My D7000 is consistently underexposing to -7EV when in manual mode. If I shoot in auto, the exposure is perfect. When in manual, the exposure meters in both the viewfinder, and menu screen show correct exposure...however, after downloading they're underexposed by -7EV. I've re-set the camera to factory defaults...same result. Any thoughts, or do I have a faulty camera (it's still under warranty)? Thanks..

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 underexposes..help!
km6xz Moderator
07th Mar 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
coondog
08th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
08th Mar 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 07-Mar-13 04:59 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 underexposes..help!"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Welcome to Nikonians!
That is an unusual problem, I have not heard of any others with those symptoms.

Did this just start happening or is it a new camera to you?
Have you tried Live View to see if the display screen is also dark in Manual mode?

Are you shooting RAW and reviewing the screen after the shot, it appears correctly, but not when downloaded? What does it look like in JPG mode? If it is OK and in RAW the rear display is good but the downloaded RAW fies are not, I would suggest trying another raw converter to see if it is not a software issue. If it is an older version of software, it might not have D7000 profiles and needs to be upgraded.

Let us know if the review screen after the shot looks normal.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 05:08 PM
1949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 underexposes..help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

What metering are you using in auto vs. manual?

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 08-Mar-13 08:11 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 underexposes..help!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>What metering are you using in auto vs. manual?

Yes...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

coondog Registered since 17th Jan 2013Fri 08-Mar-13 10:45 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 underexposes..help!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Now I feel foolish (nothing new here). The exposure compensation was inadvertently changed, and I simply missed that. I'm new to the D7000 and still learning it's ins and outs. I also incorrectly reset to default. Once I had done that correctly, all was well.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 08-Mar-13 10:54 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 underexposes..help!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>Now I feel foolish (nothing new here). The exposure
>compensation was inadvertently changed, and I simply missed
>that. I'm new to the D7000 and still learning it's ins and
>outs. I also incorrectly reset to default. Once I had done
>that correctly, all was well.

I've done similar things with White Balance... Setting it for one specific scene, then forgetting it later on.

I'm glad you're good to go.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24955 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.