Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2495
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hockey Game" Previous topic | Next topic
hawkie Registered since 22nd Mar 2008Sun 28-Nov-10 03:29 PM
1028 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hockey Game"

US

I was able to shoot my local hockey team last night. The lighting in the arena is absolutely terrible, so the D7000's high ISO really makes a difference.

All images were shot with a Nikon D7000 & Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens. They were processed in Photoshop CS5 and Nik DFine (Plug-In) to reduce noise.

1/1000 f/2.8 ISO 5000 +1 Exposure Compensation

1/1250 f/2.8 ISO 5000 +1 Exposure Compensation

1/1000 f/2.8 ISO 5000 +1 Exposure Compensation

Thanks for looking!
Joey

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Hockey Game
billD80 Silver Member
28th Nov 2010
hawkie
28th Nov 2010
JPJ Silver Member
28th Nov 2010
hawkie
28th Nov 2010
wordwizrd
28th Nov 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
28th Nov 2010
hawkie
29th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
29th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
29th Nov 2010
hawkie
29th Nov 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
29th Nov 2010
hawkie
29th Nov 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
30th Nov 2010
hawkie
30th Nov 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
30th Nov 2010

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 28-Nov-10 03:45 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I was able to shoot my local hockey team last night. The
>lighting in the arena is absolutely terrible, so the D7000's
>high ISO really makes a difference.

NICE work! The last one is truly super. Amazing at ISO5000. Why the +1 Exposure Comp? It seems a tad hot for me, on my monitor... or I might add a touch of contrast. But that's just to my eyes.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

hawkie Registered since 22nd Mar 2008Sun 28-Nov-10 03:51 PM
1028 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks! +1 so the ice is white. If you don't add any, the ice receives a gray cast.

Joey

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sun 28-Nov-10 04:08 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Nice shots, the 3rd is a great 'moment' capture.

Shooting at these ISOs is why I bought my d7k.

Jason

hawkie Registered since 22nd Mar 2008Sun 28-Nov-10 04:20 PM
#4. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 3

US

The ISO performance is great! It's a REALLY big step up form my D40!

wordwizrd Registered since 24th Nov 2010Sun 28-Nov-10 06:45 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 4

US

haven't shot any hockey yet with the d7000 (that likely will
come this week), but i have done soccer and football at night
and in low light, plus some basketball. i've gone as high as
iso6400 shooting things for my newspaper client and have been
very happy with the results. 70-200vr for the football and
soccer. usually a 50mm f1.4 for hoops. while doing the
football and soccer, the d7000 shared duty with a d700 and a
d2x. i was very pleased with how performance compared. focus
tracking was as good as i've gotten with d700, d300 and d2x.
it will get a serious test in a few weeks when world cup
bobsleds come to town. if it can lock up and hold a sled
coming straight at me at 80mph, it's good for most anything.
the only time i've had to dial in compensation was in a
low-sun backlit situation. for the indoor and night shots, i
do test frames with exposure set to M until i am happy with
the faces.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 28-Nov-10 09:47 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Good shots. What were your focus settings and number of focus points?

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

hawkie Registered since 22nd Mar 2008Mon 29-Nov-10 07:40 PM
#9. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I was using Auto Focus Continuous (AF-C) and was suing 39 focus points.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 29-Nov-10 12:51 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Super and the +1 seems good to me.

Also good to hear from the photojournalist about the variety of sports. Am on my way back from a birding and wildife weekend and judging from LCD AF was just fine.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 29-Nov-10 02:00 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Some great "perfect moment" captures! I can't even follow a puck when it is in slow motion on TV yet you got these shots at the exact instant that tells the story. I am impressed with both the camera for staying focused and giving you 1/1000 indoors and still get good color and tone gradient, or with your anticipation timing.
Did you take these from a burst or were they single shots?

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

hawkie Registered since 22nd Mar 2008Mon 29-Nov-10 07:41 PM
#10. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 8

US

All of the shots I took were bursts.

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 29-Nov-10 10:28 PM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 29-Nov-10 10:33 PM by ZoneV

US

If you can shoot hockey, you can shoot almost anything else. As one who sometimes shoots D1 hockey, I know hockey is pretty tough. I still don't have my goalie shot yet after shooting about 6 games. I like yours.

And these show off the new camera too.

By the way: they need to bring back the real Whalers!

Nice work.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

hawkie Registered since 22nd Mar 2008Mon 29-Nov-10 11:16 PM
#12. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thanks Al! The new camera is great! I never would've been able to do anything like this with my old D40! I have never been to a Hartford Whalers game (i'm only 13), but I have heard they were pretty good. The new Whalers team is fun to watch.

Joey

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Tue 30-Nov-10 12:36 AM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 30-Nov-10 12:37 AM by ZoneV

US

>Thanks Al! The new camera is great! I never would've been
>able to do anything like this with my old D40! I have never
>been to a Hartford Whalers game (i'm only 13), but I have
>heard they were pretty good. The new Whalers team is fun to
>watch.

Joey,

I agree with you that the D40 would have a tough time pulling it off. Maybe if you had a 200/2 lens it could work (imagine that--I've never even handled one).

I have never been to one of their games either, though I always wanted to go. I'm a little older than you (grad school age, but I remember being 13 and in 6th grade) and the Whalers left about ten years ago or so, when I was about your age, I think. I do remember kids in school who used to talk about going to the games with their dads. Sometimes they would show off and bring in a puck they caught.

Let's see. At 13 I was using my parents' Canon AE-1P with 50/1.8 and 100-200mm lenses. I got my N90s and 50/1.8 Nikkor when I was 14 (my first Nikon). I was mostly shooting color print film between ISO 100 and 800. Once in a great while I would order professional film or film over ISO 800. I shot slide film occasionally because I thought it was cool (still do). I got into black and white in high school. I actually demonstrated developing in my chemistry class. But I never took photography in high school. I have been messing with digital since about 1998 (I was younger than you are now) but it was pretty primitive then, and I always used to say digital would never take over (I didn't want it to, but today's DSLRs are every bit as good and actually better in some ways than film SLRs).

At 13, I had 2 years of serious shooting under my belt. You are way better at capturing action than I was. I did shoot hockey once when I was about 14 or 15, with the N90s, 50mm lens, and Fuji Velvia at ISO 50! So you've got a great feel for action, pretty good sense of timing and composition, and some really nice equipment (newer and more flexible than mine).

Keep it up...as you get older, you'll find a lot more people your age into photography. For a while, I couldn't find many other people my age, but now it's easy. Are there many your age around into it?

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

hawkie Registered since 22nd Mar 2008Tue 30-Nov-10 10:35 AM
#14. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Yes, the 200 f/2 would be nice, but that's a little over my budget

My real specialty is in Wildlife Photography and more recently, Landscape Photography. I have a photo exhibit up at Wild Birds Unlimited in Brookfield, CT. I can't wait to get into high school, only have one more year! I want to get into some of the photography clubs.

I do have one friend that is my age that shoots. He uses a Canon 30D. I wish he was Nikon so we could swap gear. He does a lot of HDR work.

Joey

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Tue 30-Nov-10 02:42 PM
#15. "RE: Hockey Game"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>Yes, the 200 f/2 would be nice, but that's a little over my
>budget

Someday! But man, that 70-200 is awesome (very smooth AF). I've used my friend's a few times.

>My real specialty is in Wildlife Photography and more
>recently, Landscape Photography. I have a photo exhibit up at
>Wild Birds Unlimited in Brookfield, CT. I can't wait to get
>into high school, only have one more year! I want to get into
>some of the photography clubs.

Neat; I wish I could come see that exhibit.

>I do have one friend that is my age that shoots. He uses a
>Canon 30D. I wish he was Nikon so we could swap gear. He does
>a lot of HDR work.

That's cool, but too bad you guys can't swap lenses back and forth.

Feel free to add me to your buddy list to keep in touch over the years. I plan to be on this site basically forever, so...

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2495 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.